Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallic grinding sound under VW Mark V Golf

• 22-07-2016 8:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I have a 2006 Mark V Golf. Auto, 1.6 litre petrol. Only 83,000km on the clock. Never had a day of trouble with it...until now.

Pulling out of my estate the other day I noticed a strange grinding sound underneath the car. It only happens at low speeds and when I'm braking, setting off or turning right. It seems to be getting worse every day. I took it to a mechanic yesterday who had a good look under the car and couldn't see anything amiss. I also took him for a short spin and tried to simulate the conditions that produce the noise. Of course it didn't do it while he was in the car. This morning was particularly bad. I could also feel the grinding coming through the steering wheel. I too a quick video out the window as I did a few slow turns in an empty car park. It's at its worst at around 0:40.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Brake pad/pads shot. Down to the metal. Grinding on disc....... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

dodzy wrote: »
    Brake pad/pads shot. Down to the metal. Grinding on disc....... ?

No. I got new pads very recently. Mechanic checked them and said they had plenty left in them. Plus the noise doesn't happen when I brake. Only when I'm moving at slow speed.

doubledown wrote: »
    No. I got new pads very recently. Mechanic checked them and said they had plenty left in them. Plus the noise doesn't happen when I brake. Only when I'm moving at slow speed.

You said initially: "It only happens at low speeds and when I'm braking" :confused:

My money is still on disc grinding. I'd be pulling the wheels off and inspecting the brakes all round.

dodzy wrote: »
    You said initially: "It only happens at low speeds and when I'm braking" :confused:

My money is still on disc grinding. I'd be pulling the wheels off and inspecting the brakes all round.

Apologies. What I meant was that it happens when I'm slowing down as opposed to happening when I actually brake, if that makes sense. The video above was taken when I was simply driving in a circle and not applying the brakes at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I had the same problem. Was the brake dust shield.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sounds like a warped disc/worn pads to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mgst

Check for a stone caught between the pads and disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Its almost certainly a stone between the disks and the disc dust shield and probably on the rear.

If you are comfortable with the job determine which corner its coming from, jack up the car and spin that wheel to be extra sure it's that one. Remove the wheel (can be done without removing the wheel but it's easier). have a look in between the disc and shield to see where the stone is i.e on the top or bottom - pulling the shiled away from the disc should make it fall out either way, you might need a long thing screwdriver to prise it out a little - be careful not to damage the disc if you are using it as leverage.

Alternatively you can buy a coffee and have some kwik fit style place do it for you in 5 minutes for a few bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Something to do with the disc from the sound of it.

You can try reversing and then braking gently a few times. If there is a stone it should dislodge.

biko wrote: »
    Something to do with the disc from the sound of it.

You can try reversing and then braking gently a few times. If there is a stone it should dislodge.

Its a stone between the shield and the disc :) In my experience they rarely don't dislodge of their own accord :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Had a caddy van used to get the same noise every now and then. Stone or something caught in brakes. Used to clear up after a while. Would happen every few months.

tossy wrote: »
    Its almost certainly a stone between the disks and the disc dust shield and probably on the rear.

If you are comfortable with the job determine which corner its coming from, jack up the car and spin that wheel to be extra sure it's that one. Remove the wheel (can be done without removing the wheel but it's easier). have a look in between the disc and shield to see where the stone is i.e on the top or bottom - pulling the shiled away from the disc should make it fall out either way, you might need a long thing screwdriver to prise it out a little - be careful not to damage the disc if you are using it as leverage.

Alternatively you can buy a coffee and have some kwik fit style place do it for you in 5 minutes for a few bob.
    .... only to be told you need a new TB, full service and gearbox :D

Cheers guys. Getting it looked at this afternoon.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. You were spot on. There was a small stone stuck between the dust shield and the brake disc.

doubledown wrote: »
    Thanks again for the feedback guys. You were spot on. There was a small stone stuck between the dust shield and the brake disc.

It will happen again ... mark my words :D One recent car i had it happened around 3 or 4 times in 12 months on the same corner of the car. It's such a small thing but such a pain in the stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

It's happened twice in the last year on my golf vi, what I did was get a long screwdriver and push the dust plate away from the disk/wheel, stone just fails out

Advertisement