Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about adopting

• 22-07-2016 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hi all - just had a question about adopting that I thought I might get some help here for. Myself and my partner are looking at adopting a dog sometime over the next few months (we're not just jumping on it, want to get it right). The thing is that both of us are out at work all day. Now either one could pop home at lunch time to check in initially and there is also a doggy daycare right beside my work which I've heard good reports of and that we'd look into for a longer term thing once the dog has settled in. I'm just wondering if you think the fact that we're out all day limit our ability to adopt? Or would it just limit the dogs we could (based on their needs)?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I know this is something that some people feel very strongly about, but I think that if you are clear with the rescue that the dog will be alone for portions of the day it shouldn't be a problem matching you with a suitable dog.
    It does mean that a puppy is out (I would think).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What periods of time are you out of the house for on a daily basis op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

DBB wrote: »
    What periods of time are you out of the house for on a daily basis op?

I leave at about 8am but my other half is there till bout 8.30/9 normally. Get home around 5.30pm. But as I said, I could go home at lunch time for about 30-45mins as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Honestly it depends on the rescue. Some insist on someone being a lost all day, one insisted that I had to take 2 dogs, and the third was happy that I had arranged for a neighbour to call in at lunch time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I leave at about 8am but my other half is there till bout 8.30/9 normally. Get home around 5.30pm. But as I said, I could go home at lunch time for about 30-45mins as well.

It's not perfect, but if you can get home every day at lunchtime, or on days you can't, opt for daycare, and/or do a couple of days in your local
    daycare, then there's no reason why you shouldn't get a dog :)
    Now, it'd have to be just the right dog... Not a pup. But a young to youngish adult who's used to spending time alone, and who's known to really enjoy the company of other dogs... If the latter isn't the case, then daycare isn't really an option and therefore limits your options.
    So, make sure you find a rescue group who'll work with you and for you to team you up with the right dog. Good luck! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. We actually had a friend round for the day on Sat who's fostering an adorable puppy at the moment and really made me want to get a dog more. Although agree that as gorgeous a puppy as she was, she needs way more attention all the time than we'd be able to give at the moment with being out to work all day!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Remember OP, it's not a choice between a puppy and nothing. Most if the dogs looking for homes are adults. A young adult dog could be perfect for you. They're usually in rescue for nothing more heinous than being bigger or more energetic than their previous owner anticipated, and very often come pre-housetrained.

If you're planning to drop in at lunch time an older dog would be perfect for you.

kylith - oh I completely get that! As much as I'd love the puppy we met (just because she was so sweet), it did make me realise that we'd be better with a slightly older dog. And I'd always go rescue unless I knew someone who needed to rehome their own dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Hi OP, I think its great when people adopt, and I am sure your new family member will want for nothing. For what it's worth, we have a 6 year old Jack Russell terrier and we have a similar situation to yours a lot of the time. We both work so like that 8:30 -5:30 ish she would be alone, depending on the time of year. We live close to my parents and they take her in the morning and I collect her in the evening, and she is with them all day, however they spend long periods away as they are retired and so when they are away, she is in a similar situation. We are blessed to have a neighbor who has her own gang of animals, and this woman comes in every day at around 2, and takes our little one out for a walk (around 25 mins) with her own dogs. Obviously then in the evenings, first thing I do is change the heels for the wellies and we go off on long walks where she can be off lead and burn off that energy. Weekends would be the same. So I think as long as there is a "break" in the middle of the day, and you're willing to "compensate" evenings and weekends, its not an issue.

You'd be amazed how well they slip into a routine. When my little one is not going to "grannies" (cringe), she does her peepees as fast as she can and barks at the door to come back in and is straight back into bed again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

I adopted an older dog in Feb 2015 she is 16 this year a retriever and we adore her at first when we got her there was someone home for about 4 hours a day with her then the hours changed on my husbands job so both of us do 9-5pm but as she is an older dog she actually sleeps alot during the day we have people call by and look in on her to make sure she is okay for us because we work a pup would be out of the question but maybe look into an older rescue dog as they are not as much work and you still get the enjoyment from them, dogs like greyhounds, lurchers, whippets are brilliant because alot of them only need a 40 min walk and are lazy bugger, collies and labs I would not advise you to adopt as they need alot of exercise unless again its an old one.

Any decent rescue will have a good chat with you on what type of dog might suit you lifestyle and also the hours you work and generally what you want from a dog.

• Advertisement

Personally I wouldn't dismiss any breed until you talk to the rescue. A chilled out lab could be perfect for you compared to an anxious greyhound. It's down to the individual dog. Good luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Personally I wouldn't dismiss any breed until you talk to the rescue. A chilled out lab could be perfect for you compared to an anxious greyhound. It's down to the individual dog. Good luck!!!

Not all greyhounds are anxious most of the ones I know are couch potatoes and some labs I know of need alot of exercise and a few are lazy and don't but I think if you go meet a dog and speak to the rescue in detail you will get a gopd match

Angel2016 wrote: »
    Not all greyhounds are anxious most of the ones I know are couch potatoes and some labs I know of need alot of exercise and a few are lazy and don't but I think if you go meet a dog and speak to the rescue in detail you will get a gopd match

LOL That's exactly my point

Advertisement