Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southern Province Joinery won't deal with us because we didn't order the windows

Options
  • 22-07-2016 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We got an extension last year and large 'Southern Province' (SP) Joinery Alu Clad sliders. Windows were weeks later then they were supposed to be. They were the wrong colour. They weren't put in properly with the installation crew's 'solution' to remove all but one of the door 'tongues' which we only realised later. The rubber seal's all came off the inside pane after a few months and had to be resealed. The door itself had a good few marks.

And after less than a year there is corrosion on the alumunium 'step' outside the door.

I've tried getting advice from SP Joinery but after a number of emails back and forth they've come back with

Hi XXXX,

I’m afraid you would have to get back to your builder who was XXXXXX as they were our customer.
    If there is an issue with the threshold they ordered from us they need to contact us.

The builder is frustrated with them because he's getting stuck in the middle. They don't seem receptive to transferring the warranty/order to us.

Surely this is completely ridiculous? Most building jobs would have the builders sorting out the windows etc.?

Any advice - have other people come across this and how did they resolve it?

Cheers,
    Quad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think you need to go through your builder too on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

kceire wrote: »
    I think you need to go through your builder too on this one.

Builder is trying but they're making it as hard as possible on him and he's IT illiterate.

The only way it looks like I can resolve it is to tell the builder exactly what he needs to do.

:/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

quad_red wrote: »
    Builder is trying but they're making it as hard as possible on him and he's IT illiterate.

The only way it looks like I can resolve it is to tell the builder exactly what he needs to do.

:/

Probably but that's an issue for you and your builder.
    The contract was between SP and the builder.
    Then the separate contract between you and your builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

quad_red wrote:
    The builder is frustrated with them because he's getting stuck in the middle. They don't seem receptive to transferring the warranty/order to us.

The builder IS the middle man between you and SP.

Lads,

Thanks for the feedback but surely in 90% of builds/rennovations out there the BUILDER orders the windows/doors.

Are you telling me that all these people are forced to go through the builder for all service/warranty issues? If the builder retires/moves away next month is that it? We're cooked. Zero warranty on 5k worth of door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You are better off taking pictures off all the grievances, Then construct a snag list of all the current issues with the windows. (very matter of fact and with zero emotion as emotion just winds people up) be clear and concise.

Construct the email with the attachments forward to the builder and have him forward the email on to SP even an IT illiterate can forward an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Who installed the windows: builders crew or SP crew

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have done an edit of the entire thread. I am happy to leave thread open, but, please do not mention this specific company by name!

Who installed the windows: builders crew or SP crew

The Windows manufacturers own crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

quad_red wrote: »
    The Windows manufacturers own crew.

well then you need to prove the "allegations made here.
    "... They weren't put in properly with the installation crew's 'solution' to remove all but one of the door 'tongues' which we only realised later. The rubber seal's all came off the inside pane after a few months and had to be resealed. The door itself had a good few marks.

And after less than a year there is corrosion on the alumunium 'step' outside the door...
    ."

Have you pointed out the SP that they did the install?

I presume SP came back to do the reseal?

Finally, can you post a pic or two here of the corrosion.

ps added: While the contract was via the builder they did the work so I can see the builders point, bearing in mind what BD has noted below

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Wouldn't be a fan of southern province joinery myself
    But the corrosion could of been caused by mortar not been cleaned of the fixtures in time also if any one was using an angle grinder close by the sparks could of landed on the metal an now causing rust
    Just giving you a heads up of what they could come back with.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

...also if any one was using an angle grinder close by the sparks could of landed on the metal an now causing rust...

I have seen this happen too...

Complaints about rusty aluminium thresholds...aluminium does not rust...turned out to be steel 'dust', from building/cutting steel nearby, that had landed on the thresholds, and then rusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I have seen this happen too...

Complaints about rusty aluminium thresholds...aluminium does not rust...turned out to be steel 'dust', from building/cutting steel nearby, that had landed on the thresholds, and then rusted.

have seen the glass peppered with little marks from sparks from angle grinder as well:mad:

Advertisement