Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB Managed Variable Rate?

Options
  • 22-07-2016 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently received a letter from my mortgage lender PTSB offering me a move to their new managed variable rate.

In a nutshell it links loan-to-value (LTV) in determining your interest rates.

My own LTV is around the 55% mark (80k outstanding on house worth approx 150k), so i would qualify for a hefty reduction 4.2%ish down to 3.2%ish.

BUT! There is no such thing as a free lunch. They are not offering me a way to save money out of the goodness of their hearts, so my question is this:

1 - What is the catch? Am i locked into not being able to repay the mortgage earlier? Am i unable to sell the home in the meantime, etc etc.

Anyone here have any idea what the downsides are? I don't want to get caught out by fineprint that screws me in the future...

Regards,

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

No catch did this myself last year. It was a reaction to government pressure I believe

Is the rate for ltv 51-60% not 3.80%?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

The 3.3% would be for a year as you are considered new business and then it would go back up to 3.8%.

And as far as i know there are no catches. AIBs rates work out better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Iamhere wrote: »
    Is the rate for ltv 51-60% not 3.80%?

Not sure, don't have the letter in front of me. Just pulling figures out of my terribad memory for illustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Hasmunch wrote: »
    The 3.3% would be for a year as you are considered new business and then it would go back up to 3.8%.

They currently have a mortgage with PTSB, so how would they be classified as new business?

Advertisement