Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking Soda | Bread Soda | Bicarbonate of soda

Options
  • 22-07-2016 1:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I need to do something where I have to use Baking soda.

I cannot find baking soda in the Irish shops.

What I can find is

1. Bread soda
    2. Bicarbonate of soda
    3. Sodium Bicarbonate
    3. Baking powder.

Which of the above 4 (if any) is the same as Baking Soda?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Look through this old thread to see that Bread soda is the same as baking soda and some say is the same as bicarbonate of soda

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055686976&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

American here. Just to clarify: Bicarbonate of soda is the same as sodium bicarbonate is the same as baking soda. Baking powder is something different and not interchangeable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Speedwell wrote: »
    American here. Just to clarify: Bicarbonate of soda is the same as sodium bicarbonate is the same as baking soda. Baking powder is something different and not interchangeable.

thanks american :)

what about bread soda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

thanks american :)

what about bread soda

Bread soda is the same as baking soda etc. and not the same as baking powder. Yeah, I had to learn all this when I moved here, lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

what about bread soda
    Same thing ...

Sodium bicarbonate / bicarbonate of soda / baking soda / bread soda / cooking soda are all the same thing, NaHCO3.

Baking powder is the above plus some other ingredients which are basically very weak acids which activate once liquid (water) is added. If just using baking soda, the acids are supplied by other ingredients in the recipe such as buttermilk for scones for example.

One thing I should perhaps add for our foreign friends is that washing soda is something VERY, VERY (did I say VERY?) DIFFERENT indeed. Don't even think about using it in cooking!

• Advertisement
Advertisement