Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality light set

Options
  • 22-07-2016 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

So I think my trusty Blackburn Mars 3.0 hopped off it's holder on my cycle yesterday and I need a replacement.

What was great about the Mars 3.0 is that the batteries would last forever and I've gone through patches of over a year without using it and it's still lit up perfect on it's next use. It was compact with bright bulbs and pretty well waterproof. I'd get another straight away but it seems they aren't available anymore.

Just looking for recommendations on a similar light if anyone would know. I think it was cheap enough too, about €20. I'd be willing to spend that and maybe a little more if I knew it was quality and the batteries would last as well as with the Mars and had easy removal (although not too easy that it might hop off like the Mars did :o).

I do mention set in the title so if there's any ones in particular that come in a set and both front and back are equally as good, I might just get both.

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Smart R2 is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks that seems to be a popular choice, although some concerns about how waterproof it is from what I've read!

Yes, I've read about those concerns. I have to say, I've had one for over a year, and no troubles at all, in that regard or any other. I do have full-length mudguards though.

With regard to your post in another thread about non-USB versus USB versions of the R2, I got the non-USB version of the Smart R2, and it has three flashing options, which was rather less than I'd been given to understand from the reviews: pseudo-random alternating flashes from the two 0.5W LEDs, one LED steady, and both LEDs steady. I'm very happy with the both-LEDs-steady mode, so I don't care, but I was a small bit surprised that it had only three modes. It's a great light regardless, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A previous version of the R2 had a slow-pulse mode where alternate leds would glow on and fade off rather than flashing. I found it very comforting and hypnotic following one of those on some audax rides...

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. This is the R2 I'm thinking of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX5U69K5i4Y

I think this is the link for it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00452O6LI/

I'm probably thinking about this too much, I'm sure the R2 will do me just fine. The reelights would be handy though to have as an always reliable emergency backup secondary pair.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    A previous version of the R2 had a slow-pulse mode where alternate leds would glow on and fade off rather than flashing. I found it very comforting and hypnotic following one of those on some audax rides...

I would have liked that mode. Flashing really annoys me now (my lights flashing, not other people's), but that sounds quite nice.

As it happens, the rechargeable batteries in the R2 on full steady lasts as long as the rechargeable batteries in my Cateye front light, so it's as handy to use the R2 on full steady. Saves me having two recharging schedules.

By the way, I wouldn't bother with the Reelights, if the only reason you want them is reliability. With the R2, you can always pop into a shop or late-night garage and get new batteries. It's really bright, and I have it as my only rear light on my main bike. I do have extra rear reflectors though.

This seems similar to the R2 but seems to be more water resistant: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MetroFlash-Danger-Zone-Tail-Light/dp/B00AOZHW3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469630718&sr=8-1&keywords=metroflash+light

But then it seems to have problems with the button being too sensitive and turning on way too easily in bags and draining the battery. Also no funky disco mode :D

Is there anything that improves on the flaws of the R2 and Metro? I'd be prepared to pay a little extra if so.

I'm probably going to buy 3 as I need one for another bike too and then just have the third on my bag or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i have this on the TT bike (aero seatpost): https://www.evanscycles.com/cateye-rapid-mini-25-lumen-rear-light-EV276554 and its very good.

and i also have this which is good as well: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-usb-led-double-beam-30-lumen-rear-light/

both are rechargeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Gah, I know how you feel. The Mars 3 was such a nice light, it's a shame they stopped making them. I haven't yet found a light I'd recommend to replace it with :(

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I would have liked that mode. Flashing really annoys me now (my lights flashing, not other people's), but that sounds quite nice.

As it happens, the rechargeable batteries in the R2 on full steady lasts as long as the rechargeable batteries in my Cateye front light, so it's as handy to use the R2 on full steady. Saves me having two recharging schedules.

I have this Lezyne and the rear light has a slow pulse setting which I use. Very bright light and I now use it all the time day or night.

I came across these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002VK1P4W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and decided to get two of them based on the reviews. They don't have the fancy disco flash, but I received them today and they seem well built and I don't think there'll be an issue with rain. The button needs a firm but easy press and even looking at them from the side, they are very bright.

They have something on the package about flashing lights being a contravention of road traffic laws?

Also, the holder is kind of angled so that it would be pointing in the direction of the driver approaching from a car behind, as opposed to pointing to the curb/left, this will obviously make it easier for the driver to see the light, but might be a bit blinding at the same time so I'm not sure if this is default for EU cyclists or UK/IRISH and which direction is best.

cormie wrote: »
    They have something on the package about flashing lights being a contravention of road traffic laws?

In some countries, but legal here.

Advertisement