Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any club leagues around at the moment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

I've been thinking about getting into racing for a few months and this is actually quite motivating, fair play Shamrock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Id say there's a fair few A3's would struggle to get out of A4 with this current crop........

There are crashes in every Cat not just A4. I have noticed myself that the handling of the A4 bunch has improved a hell of a lot since I did a few races in 2014. I didn't race at all in 2015 but it was a pleasant surprise to find it all a lot less nervous and frantic this year. Maybe that's just the effect of always riding near the front and away from the 'wardrobe' full of sprinters at the rear though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Well done lad, keep at it u will notice that for just doing that one race u have learned a lot and next time u will stick with the man group for the longer, yea there is a lot going on in a race a lot to remember all at one time, but it gets easier. You had a great average speed, were u out on your own for long or did u join that smaller group right away after u got dropped by the main group.

It is some buzz race and when u get into a group and are rolling all the time it is great and it helps u push yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Delboy007 wrote: »
    Well done lad, keep at it u will notice that for just doing that one race u have learned a lot and next time u will stick with the man group for the longer, yea there is a lot going on in a race a lot to remember all at one time, but it gets easier. You had a great average speed, were u out on your own for long or did u join that smaller group right away after u got dropped by the main group.

It is some buzz race and when u get into a group and are rolling all the time it is great and it helps u push yourself.

Was out on my own for a little hile until the smaller group formed and we had 1 fella calling the rolling turns which was great experience. Finished 1/2 lap behind the main group. Someone else told me that the A4 average speed yesterday was the same as the A3 shannonside gp race hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Was out on my own for a little hile until the smaller group formed and we had 1 fella calling the rolling turns which was great experience. Finished 1/2 lap behind the main group. Someone else told me that the A4 average speed yesterday was the same as the A3 shannonside gp race hehe

Yea that sounds like it was fast fast, you were not far behind the main group. keep at it and def join a club league it is great experience from that

• Advertisement

Yea that sounds like it was fast fast, you were not far behind the main group. keep at it and def join a club league it is great experience from that

Yeh I was poking around the lads strava from the race yesterday and looks like a lot of them earned their stripes in club leagues. Sounds like a good place to start. Cheers pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Good man- well done for getting stuck in. Told ya it was a tough race but racing is not meant to be easy. So fair play. I wonder did you get dropped because you were being cautious or was it because you felt like the pace was too hot?

Yes, join a better club perhaps and get club racing; you will enjoy it no doubt. And while strava is an interesting app and commands lots of attention, in my experience it is a very unlikely source of useful info if you are looking to improve performances in races. Something to look at afterwards maybe, but don't fall into the trap of basing ability off strava- lots of strava warriors would get dropped on lap 1 in Mondello cos they can't corner efficiently or may not be comfortable in a quick twitching bunch at pace.
    For me strava is good for time trialling but not much else, since it is irrelevant to me how many metres I climbed in a week etc.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Good man- well done for getting stuck in. Told ya it was a tough race but racing is not meant to be easy. So fair play. I wonder did you get dropped because you were being cautious or was it because you felt like the pace was too hot?

It was simply too hot. My legs started to go on lap 2 at the drag where that first sharp left is after you go past the finish line. Just couldn't hold the 39km/hr so dropped back to a pace I could hold, yet still dig deep. I'll be all set for it next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

It was simply too hot. My legs started to go on lap 2 at the drag where that first sharp left is after you go past the finish line. Just couldn't hold the 39km/hr so dropped back to a pace I could hold, yet still dig deep. I'll be all set for it next year.

You will be set for next week! Oldcastle GP with the lads from TC Racing- it might suit you better. That's if you are not heading to Mondello tomorrow.... ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

shamrock - be sure to get a good warm up in. A good warm up should involve some hardish efforts and really get the blood pumping. Generally the shorter and harder the race, the more you need to warm up! That race is straight into a drag so a warm up is cruical! It's all a learning curve tho.

http://pressphotos.photoshelter.com/gallery/Brendan-Campbell-Memorial-2016/G00004tGZPXkNW88

• Advertisement

JK.BMC wrote: »
    You will be set for next week! Oldcastle GP with the lads from TC Racing- it might suit you better. That's if you are not heading to Mondello tomorrow.... ðŸ˜

Ah jaysus lads, was only planning on doing the one for now...! :) Have you got a link for oldcastle GP? Interested in having a look. I think I'd rather build up the racing legs before giving another race a go but maybe cant hurt to have another bite of the cherry.

Advertisement