Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat little tray

• 22-07-2016 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for advice on how to minimise the smell from my cats litter tray. I find it really strong. I have his tray in one of those enclosed units and its regularly cleaned. Despite this it still stinks and is starting to drive me mad. Help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The food you feed a cat can have a huge bearing on how horrific the faeces can smell.

Whiskas pouches would be considered junk food for cats and can lead to issues in the same way an indian takeway would for a human.

Decent quality dry food might mitigate the stench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I find the quality/type of litter makes a big difference. We usually buy Super Benek online which catches smells really well, but one day we got stuck without any and just bought some cheap clumping litter from tesco, god the smell was awful. Made the whole house just smell like cat pee.

We're using Sanicat Gold as well now and that does a good job of controlling the smells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

My princess ONLY eats dry food (and only 1 type much to my disgust everytime I try to tempt her with something else), and her litter tray isnt stinky at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It needs to be emptied of pee and poop at least daily OP and the whole thing cleaned out once a week. Covered litter trays harbour smells and because they hide the litter they tend not to be cleaned often enough. It's also unpleasant for the cat and can drive them to pee and poop outside the box. The type of litter you use also has a bearing. Non-clumping litter is stinky compared to clumping simply because with clumping litter you can lift out the soiled bits, leaving the clean litter behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

The best litter i have found is sanicat professional silicate. I've tried a good few types and this works best in my house.

There are a few variables though. Some cats are better at covering up than others and this can greatly affect the smell no matter what litter you use.

Food, again some foods seem to create more of a stink than others. Ensure your cats are drinking enough water also as this can affect the smell.

Cleaning out the tray - I find the silica last longer especially good at soaking up wet but you should be removing solids as soon as possible.

Another suggestion is to move the tray away from direct sun light, heat will make it stink more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Good dry food works, I use Red Mills dry food for mine or else Purina is good too also the type of litter you use the crystals are great but expensive but you can buy a large bag online.
    I also find making sure they dont get milk, my neighbors kept giving my cats and the strays outside milk so I had to ask them to stop and scoop any toilet out daily and if all else fails I use a tiny amount of shake n vac the powder and mix it with the litter its the more or less the same as the cat powder you can buy for alot more money in the vet shops.
    Only use a tiny amount though, plus my litter trays are over beside a window and two out in the garden for them when they got out and for the strays.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michelleryan86

Its based on diet a lot of the time. Giving your cat dairy can upset their stomachs. High quality food, I use Royal Canine. Good litter, as recommended above and changed often. You can also get special deodoriser for the litter trays, it should be available from pet shops or online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I'd be looking at the diet and cat litter too, and also the lifestyle. Cats that don't have much physical activity sometimes have slower gut motility so the poo is smellier. The diet should have highly digestible proteins as undigested proteins can be the cause of very smelly stools. Also constantly changing the cat's diet can cause an upset too. And as others have said, milk should be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just to update. I took all the advice on board and switched to Royal Canin food and Sanicat litter and I can't believe the difference. Not a single smell. Definitely worth the extra cost. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah i was just going to say too the food is a big one.. Jes my fella reeked haha, he even farted a lot.. And changed foods no more felix or the standard stuff got senisible 33 food for him and either gave him chicken if i found some cheap on offer or get cosma nature for him... Rice and chicken is better to what is in those tins..

There is little deodorizers you can get too that you pop into the top or the door of the litter trays

• Advertisement
Advertisement