Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Bruce leaves Hull City

• 22-07-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

[font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]Steve Bruce has left his role as manager of newly promoted Premier League club Hull City.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]Bruce is now odds-on favourite with some bookmakers to return to former club Sunderland and replace Allardyce, if as expected he become England boss.[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think it's the right call. He got promoted with largely the same squad he got relegated with.

Seems like a good guy but I don't rate him much as a manager.... which is why I hope he gets the Sunderland job again. :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Interesting. I thought Moyes was all but certain to get the Sunderland job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Sunderland would be mad to go back for him. It's not as if he's done brilliantly as a manager in the years since his last stint. He's shown he can get out of the Championship and flounder at the foot of the Prem, which is what Sunderland are doing right now. They need someone who can try and push them on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He didn't do particularly well in his last spell with them. Don't see the logic in going for him again.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Apparently the board told him it was free transfers only until the club gets sold.

He only has 13 fit players at the minute of a squad, as mentioned above, largely the same as the one they got relegated with.

He's not the greatest manager by a long shot but with no investment in the squad there's no hope for them really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Wow , Bruce leaves another club , quelle surprise!...how many is that now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Wendolene

Hmmm ... Bruce to become Fat Sam's Assistant Manager - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36860245 ?

Just thinking out loud ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Wendolene wrote: »
    Hmmm ... Bruce to become Fat Sam's Assistant Manager - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36860245 ?

Just thinking out loud ... :pac:

To be honest it was the first thing I thought of when I heard he left Hull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Needs to be careful, no one should join a game of musical chairs unless they know they will avoid becoming clubless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Wendolene

Fully agree with previous posters about Sunderland being mad to go for him again.

He had been ( noticeably ) uncomfortable with Hull's economic strength since before last season, so perhaps this summer was just one more spin around the we-can't-afford-anyone roundabout than he was prepared to take.

However, manager resignations usually occur when something else is in the process of being lined up. I suspect we'll be hearing some news of new employment soon enough.

I can't think of any vacant roles at the moment. Anyone got any suggestions ? Of course, Moyes being available just muddies the water a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

revileandy wrote: »
    Apparently the board told him it was free transfers only until the club gets sold.

He only has 13 fit players at the minute of a squad, as mentioned above, largely the same as the one they got relegated with.

He's not the greatest manager by a long shot but with no investment in the squad there's no hope for them really.

Yeah in fairness to him, he alluded to this on the day they got promoted.

A reporter asked him something along the lines of - "Are you looking forward to managing Hull again in the Premier League" and his response was something like - "Well that will depend on what we can do in the summer and the guarantees I need from the board"

Huge statement to make the day they were promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I heard that too and if that is the case then he was right to move on. Can't see Hull staying up if this is their approach. I was under the impression that Moyes was all set for Sunderland, so Bruce can rest up and wait for the first few managers in the Championship to get the chop before choosing his next job. He might get a PL role, if things fall right in the managerial lottery for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This might sound mad, and I know he's not exactly flavour of the month right now, but I do think Roy Hodgson would be much better for Sunderland than Bruce, and arguably better than Moyes as well. He got West Brom to a top ten finish and their highest placing in the modern era; did well at Fulham also.

I'm not sure if the fans would go for it because the fallout from England hasn't gone away, and he himself might not want to go into another high pressure job so soon.

Also Hull look in big trouble now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Moyes has the Sunderland job lads. There's no link at all between Bruce leaving and the Sunderland job. It's not happening.

Bruce spent over £66m in 2 Premier League seasons with Hull and still managed to take them down after a 16th place finish in his first season back up and a 23% win rate over the period. He's leaving while his reputation has been restored somewhat after promotion. He would have very little chance of keeping them up without significant finance to play with and knows this.

Due to his reputation with his friends in the media who conveniently ignore his limitations, he'll be bigged up for every job under the sun now. They'll talk about how he was unlucky to miss out on the England job and how great a job he did in getting plucky Hull to an FA Cup final and promoted twice. They'll talk about how he didn't get a fair shot at Sunderland because of his Geordie roots. They'll talk about how he guided Sunderland to 10th place. They'll ignore the aforementioned relegation after hefty spending. They'll ignore that he got possibly the easiest run to a final in the history of the FA cup by having to play Sheffield United, Sunderland, Brighton, Southend and Middlesborough en route to the final. They'll ignore that his transfer policy is akin to throwing **** at a wall and hoping that some incomings will provide a short term boost/spark. They'll ignore that he doesn't seem to have an actual plan on how to utliise these signings properly. They'll ignore that he spent £80m at Sunderland and yet dismantled the good side he had built himself. They'll ignore the fact that the fans put up with winless runs of 14 and 11 games before eventually cracking after a home defeat to bottom side Wigan.

Bruce will ultimately land a good job and it'll be a constant wash, rinse, repeat cycle of his managerial career to date.

As he says himself, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Paully D wrote: »
    Moyes has the Sunderland job lads. There's no link at all between Bruce leaving and the Sunderland job. It's not happening.

Bruce spent over £66m in 2 Premier League seasons with Hull and still managed to take them down after a 16th place finish in his first season back up and a 23% win rate over the period. He's leaving while his reputation has been restored somewhat after promotion. He would have very little chance of keeping them up without significant finance to play with and knows this.

Due to his reputation with his friends in the media who conveniently ignore his limitations, he'll be bigged up for every job under the sun now. They'll talk about how he was unlucky to miss out on the England job and how great a job he did in getting plucky Hull to an FA Cup final and promoted twice. They'll talk about how he didn't get a fair shot at Sunderland because of his Geordie roots. They'll talk about how he guided Sunderland to 10th place. They'll ignore the aforementioned relegation after hefty spending. They'll ignore that he got possibly the easiest run to a final in the history of the FA cup by having to play Sheffield United, Sunderland, Brighton, Southend and Middlesborough en route to the final. They'll ignore that his transfer policy is akin to throwing **** at a wall and hoping that some incomings will provide a short term boost/spark. They'll ignore that he doesn't seem to have an actual plan on how to utliise these signings properly. They'll ignore that he spent £80m at Sunderland and yet dismantled the good side he had built himself. They'll ignore the fact that the fans put up with winless runs of 14 and 11 games before eventually cracking after a home defeat to bottom side Wigan.

Bruce will ultimately land a good job and it'll be a constant wash, rinse, repeat cycle of his managerial career to date.

As he says himself, that's for sure.

Always love your posts on Steve Bruce, spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Do Hull not get a chunk of the insane TV money? what excuse is there for no transfer budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Do Hull not get a chunk of the insane TV money? what excuse is there for no transfer budget?

the owner has the hump cause he can't rename them to the Tigers - supposedly was selling up in summer , then played difficult seller and wouldn't sell - sounds like he doesn't give a flying **** about Hull , but has the money to do as he wishes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sunderland have made Moyes official now so that's a fork in that one anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Feel sorry for the Hull Fans really in this situation Bruce over achieved getting them up from the Championship can see them going back down rather quickly and if there not careful they could very doing a Blackpool and disappearing down the divisions if this owner isn't gone soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Roy Keane an early favourite for the Hull job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Feel sorry for the Hull Fans really in this situation Bruce over achieved getting them up from the Championship can see them going back down rather quickly and if there not careful they could very doing a Blackpool and disappearing down the divisions if this owner isn't gone soon

How is getting through the playoffs with the most expensive side in the Championship overachieving? He did the bare minimum really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Expensive or not there a crowd of journey men players and probably the reason he couldn't bring in any new players this summer cos he couldn't shift half of them

Lukker- wrote: »

Ryan Giggs is in the frame too.

I feel sorry for all the Hull kids who got Steve Bruce tattoos, Steve Bruce duvets and pyjamas etc.

I feel sorry for all the Hull kids who got Steve Bruce tattoos, Steve Bruce duvets and pyjamas etc.

I think that was just Alex Bruce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I heard he wants to return to his true love and write his eagarly awaited 4th novel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Be a fool's errand for him with no budget.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Keane would be mad. His next job needs to at least semi work and Hull over achieved to get up. Equally, he might fancy the role either way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think Hull will struggle to get anyone decent to take on the role unless there is a U-turn and they are willing to give the new guy what they were not willing to give to Bruce because otherwise Hull will be favorites to go straight back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Not sure why Keane gets linked with vacant managerial positions; he hasn't pulled up any trees as a manager. Started off okay at Sunderland, before it unravelled on him. And didn't do great at Ipswich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

blueser wrote: »
    Not sure why Keane gets linked with vacant managerial positions; he hasn't pulled up any trees as a manager. Started off okay at Sunderland, before it unravelled on him. And didn't do great at Ipswich.

Because he's Roy Keane.

Same reason Bruce is praised as a manager even though he isn't that good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

blueser wrote: »

Getting promotion is no small task. I think people gloss over it as an achievement. I would congratulate any manager on a job well done of getting out of the championship be it Bruce or Keane despite the money spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I think people are being too harsh on Bruce. When you spread his spending out over 3 seasons and net it up, it's not like he was spending an outrageous amount in comparison to the clubs around him. Also, when you look at the players he bought at Hull, I think they have generally been pretty decent. I think there is a decent core still at the team, and if they brought in 3-4 decent players with a few more as cover, they'd have a better than evens chance of staying up with the right manager. As it stands though, time is running out and if someone doesn't take control of the situation soon, Hull will end up going the way Portsmouth did in their last PL season.

Mike Phelan set to be in charge for the weekend. No new players brought in yet.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37012892

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Seems like it might be the perfect place for some of the big clubs to loan out fringe players to.

RLC at Chelsea or Januzaj at Man Utd (Maybe he does not want to be loaned out again though but it's just...) for example, would no doubt be guaranteed starters there in every single game given how threadbare their squad is and playing week in week out in the premiership would no doubt benefit a lot of players.

• Advertisement

13 senior players available for the game tomorrow. With the torrent of money sloshing about the Premier League, that is just incredible. Surely there are 2-3 journeymen out there that could have been brought in on short-term contracts?

13 senior players available for the game tomorrow. With the torrent of money sloshing about the Premier League, that is just incredible. Surely there are 2-3 journeymen out there that could have been brought in on short-term contracts?

the problem is the owner is a basket case who has the hump cause they couldn't change name to Hull Tigers - they have lost there best player whilst buying no one , while the likes of Palace , Bournemouth ther rivals are spending big - disgraceful behaviour from club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The owner is getting ready to sell the club as to someone from China and they probably don't want to put a huge outlay on players when they mightn't own the club in a few weeks.

Also hasn't the owner been very unwell over the last few months that also may affect how see's football in the greater scheme of things now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theyre surely bankers to go straight back down with the squad available to them.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Theyre surely bankers to go straight back down with the squad available to them.

relative to other teams never seen a more likely candidate for the drop - in all my years watching English football , well before the Premiership

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

As a Watford fan, it's great to see them like this. 1 less team to worry about. Now to just be better than another 2 clubs!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Well, this isn't going as expected.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement