Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crewcab insurance?

• 22-07-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here tried or succeeded in getting a quote for a Crew cabbed Range Rover , I have spent the day and most of the week trying to get quotes most insurers wont even quote for "That type of Vehicle " any that have are extortionate prices. As for Insure my van .ie , I got a Quote , paid the premium but they wouldnt issue the cert until I got the Log Book. I tried to explain that the Tax office needed to see the Orignal insurance cert to get the Jeep taxed and get the Log Book into my name, but they didnt want to know and advised me to cancel the policy I had paid for as it would take more than 14 Days to get the log book . I cancelled it and now have to wait another week to get my money back from them. The best quote I can get is from the same insurer but has increased by €130 since yesterday. Try and work that one out....

Anyway, are there any insurers out there that give realistic quotes for commercial insurance on crew cabbed Range Rovers ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Try a few brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

Try a few brokers.

I have been on the phone all day , most cant get a quote for some reason, some dont even try....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you a registered business OP?

biko wrote: »
    Are you a registered business OP?

Yes , sole trader for 8 years and vat regestered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Was the RR an original passenger model that was 'converted' to get cheap tax... Those jeeps are covered under private insurance with class 2 or 3 business use added.

Insurance companies only cover purpose build commercial crew cab vehicles under commercial cover(L200/Hi-Lux/ crew transit etc... Just coz someone converts veh to suits their loophole doesn't mean insurance companies have to follow

• Advertisement

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Was the RR an original passenger model that was 'converted' to get cheap tax... Those jeeps are covered under private insurance with class 2 or 3 business use added.

Insurance companies only cover purpose build commercial crew cab vehicles under commercial cover(L200/Hi-Lux/ crew transit etc... Just coz someone converts veh to suits their loophole doesn't mean insurance companies have to follow

I am buying the Jeep From a Dealer who bought the Jeep in as a Crewcab so was already commercially taxed/ converted , Now I need commercial Insurance to get the Jeep taxed .
    I have been onto a lot of insurance companies this week and not one mentioned this Class 2 or 3 Business use... What exactly is it ? and will it allow the Jeep to be commercially taxed ? ie will the Motor tax office accept it instead of Commercial insurance ?

..... I tried to explain that the Tax office needed to see the Orignal insurance cert to get the Jeep taxed and get the Log Book into my name..............

Surely dealer sends off logbook, it comes back to you with vehicle in your name, than get it taxed?
    Fair enough you need insurance to get tax but you can buy a yoke and get it in your name without insurance being required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I am buying the Jeep From a Dealer who bought the Jeep in as a Crewcab so was already commercially taxed/ converted , Now I need commercial Insurance to get the Jeep taxed .
    I have been onto a lot of insurance companies this week and not one mentioned this Class 2 or 3 Business use... What exactly is it ? and will it allow the Jeep to be commercially taxed ? ie will the Motor tax office accept it instead of Commercial insurance ?

Class 2 / business use is automatically included on a commercial motor insurance policy.

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely dealer sends off logbook, it comes back to you with vehicle in your name, than get it taxed?
    Fair enough you need insurance to get tax but you can buy a yoke and get it in your name without insurance being required.

The issue was not getting it in My Name , but that the Motor Tax office need an original insurance cert to show commercial insurance the First time a New owner gets the Jeep taxed , but the Insurance company want to see the logbook before they will issue an insurance cert/disc.

So I would own a Commercial jeep for the 10 to 14 days it takes the Tax office to return the Logbook and a further 3 or 4 Days for the insurance company to send out the Cert after I send them a copy of the Logbook, and so effectively I will own a €15,000 jeep that I cant use for about 20 Days all going well that is.

I dont know about you , but when I spend that kind of money on a Car or Jeep I want to use it straight away , not almost a month later ....

..........so effectively I will own a €15,000 jeep that I cant use for about 20 Days all going well that is.

I dont know about you , but when I spend that kind of money on a Car or Jeep I want to use it straight away , not almost a month later ....

Well it seems a lot better than your current predicament if you actually want to buy one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

I have a crew cab renault trafic that I have insured on a commercial policy (because you can't get a private policy on a commercial vehicle) for social & domestic use only.

Renewal quote of €1132 from axa, up from €650 last year (which was already up from €400 odd the previous year). Rang around the usual suspects and no other company will insure me on it. Have to have business use to insure a crew cab they all say.

Two brokers were able to get me quotes - O Loughlin in Swords and Sheridan in Wexford. Both came back with a quote for around my renewal quote from axa. So not much help there but at least they could get a quote for me. A friend recently tried to get a quote as new business on a crew cab van (similar situation to mine - no commercial use) and could not get a single quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Average 45% up on last year premium paid for all light commercial policies(upto 2 tonne) carrying capacity. Normal class B driver licence limits. If ye over 50-69 then about 23% more than last years premium - above based on claims free records with no adverse scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Roost

Hi Nightforce

I am just wondering what was your final outcome on the insurance ?
    I want to by a crew cab but my homework seems to be putting a stop to that !! poxy country
    regards
    Roost

Advertisement