Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying fossil please

Options
  • 22-07-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My 9 yr old found this fossil in our driveway gravel. I've Googled it and I'm still not sure what it is. Marine brachiopod perhaps? He loves nature and science and I'd be ever so grateful if you could give us an idea of what it might be please.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My guess would be it's a part, a slice of a Carboniferous period rugose solitary coral from 300 odd million years ago. In Ireland Carboniferous limestone is the most common type of stone to contain fossils. Places like the Burren in Clare are entirely made of the stuff. It blankets the country, so where you find it, with a bit of searching you should find fossils. :)

niamh1.gif

Going by the size of the slice I'd identify it as one of the Caninia species. Here's a pic of two more intact ones.

243ab.jpg

And what they may have looked like in life.

167396881-reconstruction-of-caninia-sp-genus-of-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QSE4PFJEx5FdF2eXThOZH7YQOhWoJ1dPT%2BLuAAYrOoLNDa3nAwlRQgwV%2BicolRB5vf%2BxhRhXSbbh1POdb1LHJ14%3D

Hope that helped.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Thanks so much for all that information, he'll be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Sorry to hi-jack a thread, Ammonoidea?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Could be, though I'd expect to see the inner floatation chambers preserved so maybe it's a gastropod? Looks to be a big bugger for that mind you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Wibbs wrote: »
    Could be, though I'd expect to see the inner floatation chambers preserved so maybe it's a gastropod? Looks to be a big bugger for that mind you.

Roughly the size of my fist wibbs,i live quite near the sea,infact if I dug just beneath it I'd come across all kinds of shells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Are they possibly bits of bivalves?

If so they may be one of many millions of species.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wont bother making a new thread, any clue what this is over in the Nature forum?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101591151&postcount=8010

Again it could be the outer skin of a coral. IIRC the Spanish point rocks are deep water Carbniferous limestones and shales, not the usual areas for corals. It's an oddball looking thing anyway. Cool find.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

looks very like a fossilised algae or sea weed Thargor but unable to give a definitive answer, sorry.

Advertisement