Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CID apply for career break?

Options
  • 22-07-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm a teacher and I am very unfamiliar with contract types in second level schools. I have completed a pro-rata contract of my own hours (16hrs) from Sept- June 2016 this year. As it is a new school staff are growing so i was reinterviewed for the position at the end of the summer and have be successful for this coming Sept. My contract says I will have the same hours 16hrs for next year.

I have spent most of my 20's chasing teaching jobs from subbing to maternity and really want to go travelling before I settle down. I'm 29 now. Does anyone know if I am eligible to apply for a career break or leave of any sort if I am only going into my second year of the contract. I intend to do the full school year next year and not go travelling until Sept 2017? My reason for wanting a year's leave is that my partner cannot take 2.5month off during summer like me. He would have to quit job.

Any information from people who have gone through this I would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Meacle wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a teacher and I am very unfamiliar with contract types in second level schools. I have completed a pro-rata contract of my own hours (16hrs) from Sept- June 2016 this year. As it is a new school staff are growing so i was reinterviewed for the position at the end of the summer and have be successful for this coming Sept. My contract says I will have the same hours 16hrs for next year.

I have spent most of my 20's chasing teaching jobs from subbing to maternity and really want to go travelling before I settle down. I'm 29 now. Does anyone know if I am eligible to apply for a career break or leave of any sort if I am only going into my second year of the contract. I intend to do the full school year next year and not go travelling until Sept 2017? My reason for wanting a year's leave is that my partner cannot take 2.5month off during summer like me. He would have to quit job.

Any information from people who have gone through this I would be grateful.

You'll only be awarded a CID if the position you're in is viable going into a third year. As it's a growing school that shouldn't be a problem. But I think you'll have to be in a position to accept that third year in full before being eligible to apply for career break.

Also keep in mind the changes the dept have implemented for asti members regarding cids - it's now back to 4 years - this may not apply to you if you're tui or unaffiliated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

petejmk wrote: »
    You'll only be awarded a CID if the position you're in is viable going into a third year. As it's a growing school that shouldn't be a problem. But I think you'll have to be in a position to accept that third year in full before being eligible to apply for career break.

Also keep in mind the changes the dept have implemented for asti members regarding cids - it's now back to 4 years - this may not apply to you if you're tui or unaffiliated

Pretty sure you also need to work one full year after you get your CID before you can apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

petejmk wrote: »

Where do those unaffiliated with any union fit into the new agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Pretty sure you also need to work one full year after you get your CID before you can apply.

Yeah I think so too - mainly because as far as I remember the CID does not come into effect until you have worked that 3rd year - or as it used to be, that 5th year! -

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Where do those unaffiliated with any union fit into the new agreement?

I'd imagine non-union members will be treated as having had accepted the terms of LRA. I can't see how the dept. could implement sanctions against non members.

• Advertisement
Advertisement