Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teriyaki Salmon

Options
  • 22-07-2016 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Looking for advice and help, made teriyaki salmon earlier, but it was a bit saltier than i was expecting.

Used 220g of salmon(2 Darnes), marinaded in 50mls of teriyaki sauce(kikkoman) for 30 mins, fried them off and used the marinated in the pan to give a nice thick sauce, just seems quiet salty...

Anything i could do to reduce the salty taste? When i use it for chicken its never as salty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Maybe try adding some honey and rice wine vinegar to balance the saltiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I do a similar dish but add chillie, garlic & minced stem ginger plus some of the syrup to the marinade along with the juice of an orange & a couple of tsp of honey. I reduce it a bit, but not so that it is particularly thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Space Dog wrote: »
    Maybe try adding some honey and rice wine vinegar to balance the saltiness.

For 50mls of teriyaki, how much of each would you recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

make your own marinade with reduced salt light soy sauce.

mix water with the soy sauce, rice vinegar, fresh ginger and chilli and thicken with honey , corn starch and brown sugar.

Pre-made stuff can be very salty. Play around with quantity's to taste.

Can add lime juice and minced lemon grass, sky is the limit.

Other thought is depending on where you are buying the salmon or where its sourced it could be pumped with water coloring's and additives (salt), buy fresh from a fish mongers if budget/location allows, might help with the saltiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

eoinf wrote: »

Other thought is depending on where you are buying the salmon or where its sourced it could be pumped with water coloring's and additives (salt), buy fresh from a fish mongers if budget/location allows, might help with the saltiness.
    Usually the salmon is pumped with colouring while its alive though...

You said you reduced the marinade in the pan, that would concentrate the salt
    I got caught with reducing a salty sauce before - turned it inedible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

eoinf wrote: »

Usually the salmon is pumped with colouring while its alive though...

You said you reduced the marinade in the pan, that would concentrate the salt
    I got caught with reducing a salty sauce before - turned it inedible...

No wouldn't bother reducing it, just thicken with honey sugar and corn starch and let it reduce whilst cooking.

Advertisement