Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais - Threatening action

Options
  • 22-07-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Just over a year ago I signed up with Bord gais for duel fuel on a 12 month contract (Electricity and Gas).
    The deal was that 12 even payments would be spread over the 12 months based on the previous year. Meter readings would allow for the payments to be adjusted accordingly.
    After the year was over I decided to switch to Energia as they offered 23% on gas and electricity... Bord Gais could only offer 7%.

I didn't really keep track and had good faith that Bord Gais were taking the funds due during the year but found myself 672 euro in the red at the end of the year.
    I called customer service and the agent explained that a mistake was made and my monthly payments were not adjusted accordingly.
    I explained that I cannot afford to make a once off payment of 672 euro.
    They offered a payment plan of 50 euro a week which I explained was out of reach for me as well. I offered a monthly payment of 100 euro but was told this is not acceptable.

I was told that I would be called back the following week to arrange the payments. In the mean time I made a payment online of 50 euro and went back through my records preparing for the call.
    ... As this was Bord Gais's fault I was not going to accept the 50 euro a week payment scheme and am planning to make payments as I could afford.

The call never came but I receive weekly letters from Bord Gais threatening to pass the issue on to a third party for collection.

Can someone tell me what are my rights here and/or maybe give a little advice on how to deal with this.

Comments

I think the best bet is to ring them tomorrow and see if you stay with them and work of the debt you owe them and then switch, when I owed money to a utility they gave me a PP meter which took a 1/4 of my top up and used it against my debt till I payed it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

gary71 wrote: »
    I think the best bet is to ring them tomorrow and see if you stay with them and work of the debt you owe them and then switch, when I owed money to a utility they gave me a PP meter which took a 1/4 of my top up and used it against my debt till I payed it off.

I did try this but my cooling off period with Energia had already expired.
    Going to call Bord Gais again on Monday and hope to get a more helpful agent.

Advertisement