Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with my mother

Options
  • 22-07-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I'm a single mother in my 30's. My child's dad died nearly three years ago. My child is nearly three. My problem is that my relationship with my mother has changed so much since I had my child. Before I had my child she was begging me to stay in my home house with them. Wanting to hang out with me. Now I wanted to stay in my home house one night as I was just home from holidays at two in the morning and hated the thoughts of going home alone to my home with my child. Her excuse was that the bed clothes on the bed were clean and she didn't want to have to wash them after me. She's happy to have my child stay in her house but always has the excuse that she doesn't want to clean the bed if I want to stay so I don't. I can't fall out with her as she is the only person I have to mind my child if I want to do something. It's gone from her wanting to spend so much time with me to her nearly resenting me. I'm feeling very lonely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Perhaps not treating her as your child minder might be a start, it's not a great way of looking at your relationship with her.

Have you tried talking to her? Explain you feel lonely and would like some support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

RossieMan wrote: »
    Perhaps not treating her as your child minder might be a start, it's not a great way of looking at your relationship with her.

Have you tried talking to her? Explain you feel lonely and would like some support.

To be fair I don't think anything in her post implies she treats her mother like a childminder. Agree about talking her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Emily9031 wrote: »
    Hi I'm a single mother in my 30's. My child's dad died nearly three years ago. My child is nearly three. My problem is that my relationship with my mother has changed so much since I had my child. Before I had my child she was begging me to stay in my home house with them. Wanting to hang out with me. Now I wanted to stay in my home house one night as I was just home from holidays at two in the morning and hated the thoughts of going home alone to my home with my child. Her excuse was that the bed clothes on the bed were clean and she didn't want to have to wash them after me. She's happy to have my child stay in her house but always has the excuse that she doesn't want to clean the bed if I want to stay so I don't. I can't fall out with her as she is the only person I have to mind my child if I want to do something. It's gone from her wanting to spend so much time with me to her nearly resenting me. I'm feeling very lonely.

Strange that she was happy to have you stay before you had your child. I was expecting you to say that she doesn't let your child stay in her house. What's changed between you? Why is the bed-clothes washing a problem now when it wasn't before? Maybe she's just loving the time alone with her grand-child?

Advertisement