Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Terrorism put you off travelling?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Not in the slightest. I've never been overly interested in travelling myself, but terrorism wouldn't deter me from considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

nearest I have come to be jittery was years ago with the troubles up in NI we liked to regularly go to Belleek Market, once we were up there about an hour when helicopter started flying low and the army came out of no-where and walked up the street looking shifty and vigilant - I decided it was time for us to go home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

to all who are not fazed by it (or are being defiant) and not changing any plans will you be more jittery when your over in these places if you hear some un-ordinary noises or start to see increase in army or something not 'feeling right' ? - or seeing foreigners with rucksack on looking suspicious? or just suspicios looking people acting weirdly? - would recent events make you feel like this?

Jitter my arse.

I was in Brussels airport when that stupid thing happened in March.
    I've been back there three times since.

I've spent 60 years looking at "suspicious looking people acting weirdly" all over the world. Feck 'em.

Some nice beers in Brussels though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Well my package holiday to Syria is looking doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

mosstin wrote: »
    Andy, there's a greater chance of being attacked in, say, Sligo than there is being caught up in a terrorist attack. Worry not.
    Where are you from?
    No. You're more likely to get the head boxed off ya walking around Sligo than being killed by a jihadi.
    FortySeven wrote: »
    I've canceled my week in Syria.

That's it.
    I've cancelled my week in Sligo

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    Well my package holiday to Syria is looking doubtful.

was it cheap? :)

wil wrote: »
    That's it.
    I've cancelled my week in Sligo

i saw a muslim family walking round sligo once , they looked grand sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

The first interesting thing in Sligo in 20 years.

FortySeven wrote: »
    The first interesting thing in Sligo in 20 years.

a bit o culture wha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

I find it a bit unnerving the fact my planned meeting point for my trip to Munich in less than 3 weeks time is literally only meters away from where todays attack happened. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Some countries I wouldn't visit e.g Syria obviously.

But for the most part unless there are official warnings to avoid unnecessary travel, I'll go about my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I saw a Sligoman wandering around Dublin once. He was grand when he was sent back to his own county.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Terrorism cannot put you off going to a country and living your life. To hell with terrorists, you cannot live in fear.
    That said, it isn't like it's a daily event either. Imagine if in London they get hit 7 times over the next 7 days and the group responsible says it'll happen for another 7 days... then yeah. I wouldn't exactly be going to London for a romantic weekend with the girlfriend.

As it stands these terrorists use these attacks to spread fear or at least try to.

boobar wrote: »
    Some countries I wouldn't visit e.g Syria obviously.

But for the most part unless there are official warnings to avoid unnecessary travel, I'll go about my business.

but a lot of these countries are at probable/highly risk of attack ....and people are still going to visit and holiday there - thats like saying to someone 'there is a hungry lion in that room over there' and people purposely heading towards that room.... to be eaten alive ... a bit foolish that

sugarman wrote: »
    No.

Theres more chance of my plane going down than there is being caught up in an attack.

Saying all that, id my wits about me in France last month knowing it was going to be a target again, knowing it was a case of where and when, not if.

whats it been something like 5 attacks in 18 months in France? ... I wont be visiting any time soon i think ...

.... I wouldn't exactly be going to London for a romantic weekend with the girlfriend..

London? romantic weekend??? - dont you mean Paris or something :D

I think if I went away now I would go - "Phew! , great plane didnt get blown up or hijacked!" -and then sigh of relief ... and thats even before worrying about me holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

No; that's exactly what they want. When we allow their terror to curtail our daily lives they've won.

ah they've won/are winning already ... ive no doubt sometimes that they have more intelligence than the intelligence security and i feel they are at least one step ahead most of the time - sure a load of attempts have been foiled and we should be thankful for that , but i wont feel properly that we are winning in the war against terror until virtually all terrorist attacks are wiped out. they are ruthless buggers as well, dont mind dying for their religion/ideology dont care who they harm/maim in the process, have no fear are on a mission and like a dog with a bone, dont care who they kill, even if they kill one/some of their own in the process.

no good not being frightened or defying them or telling them that your not frightened its not gonna stop them doing what they are doing any more than they are doing it.

Sure a lot of people who carry out a lot of these attacks are even known to the authorities - they just let them go, and dont even keep tabs on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Something is going to be the cause of my death, ****ed if I'm going to spend what is left of my life worrying what it maybe. Go go where you want, do what you want ( legally), we're here for a good time not a long time.

• Advertisement

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Something is going to be the cause of my death, ****ed if I'm going to spend what is left of my life worrying what it maybe. Go go where you want, do what you want ( legally), we're here for a good time not a long time.

yeah but its silly to end life prematurely or go before its your time to go though for the sake of it or not diverting plans that could be dangerous to your life innit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

yeah but its silly to end life prematurely or go before its your time to go though for the sake of it or not diverting plans that could be dangerous to your life innit

Unless you're physic ( bull****) or have a working crystal ball you have no idea when your time is, enjoy life is my point. No point having a well preserved body heading to the coffin, you want to be sliding in sideways saying what a ride.

if people *DID* change their plans and stopped going to these countries that are on high alert of a probable terrorist attack and it got to a stage where tourism and the like suffered then maybe more would be done in the fight of terrorism - just a thought.

what a very dangerous world we live in though, terrorism on the rise, ISIS getting more and more recruits from around the world to join their plight and countries due to cutbacks due to austerity are cutting down on police and security forces and armies - it doesnt make you feel safe that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Change my travel plans, no. Change my behaviour in public places, yes definitely. Less inclined to hang about in departures in an airport, straight to security. Less time spent in crowded public spaces, particularly during public holidays or national events. More acute situational awareness, likely to spot potential exit routes or dodgy activity in busy places.

I work in social media and liaise quite closely with intelligence, hard to bury your head in the sand when you're seeing the threats and foiled plots and arrests on a daily basis. I live in London and it's a definite target, a matter of when not if. It won't push me out of the country but it will make me think about how long I want to spend in high risk areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

London? romantic weekend??? - dont you mean Paris or something :D

Haha.
    I actually was going to say Paris but I felt it would be inappropriate given how many attacks those guys have had in recent time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Places I've been where there has been terrorist attacks:
    • London
    • New York
    • Paris (last month)
    • Munich (also last month)
    • Dublin
    • Belfast
    • Derry
    • Enniskillen
    • Monaghan
    • Sligo

It's like I'm trying to get caught

[*]London
    [*]New York
    [*]Paris
    [*]Munich

everybody talk about .. Pop Music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

152 people died in France last year due to terrorism. 166 people died on Irish roads last year. Considering the population of France compared to the population of Ireland, the conclusion has to be that if you're avoiding France due to terrorism, you really shouldn't be travelling anywhere within Ireland as that is a far more dangerous pursuit.

• Advertisement

you know you have this thing in UK where the black people are getting stopped and searched and they are saying its unfair - well I suppose it is , but how about if the police forces in countries started stopping randomly say muslim people or people looking like they were followers of the Muslim faith and doing spot searches and alarm bells ringing if they changed their name to Mohammed or something and looked like they were fanatically involved with ISIS or a terrorist group - would this be too heavy handed approach now, or could it prevent more attacks in that country?

I predict at the moment they cannot do this and have to rely on general public letting the authorities know if they see something suspicious before the police or security service can intervene? or rely on security services intercepting social media ect. - But if these people were stopped on the streets now, apart from targeting and picking on a particular race (even though the majority of Muslims are apparently peace loving no terrorists) if citizens being stopped have nothing to hide and are above board they shouldnt mind being stopped?

Is that something else the forces could be doing in countries now (especially in countries on high alert) to help combat terrorism? - do you think police forces should be given these powers now these days to randomly stop and search?

Advertisement