Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Terrorism put you off travelling?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

quokula wrote:
    152 people died in France last year due to terrorism. 166 people died on Irish roads last year. Considering the population of France compared to the population of Ireland, the conclusion has to be that if you're avoiding France due to terrorism, you really shouldn't be travelling anywhere within Ireland as that is a far more dangerous pursuit.

Conclusion, **** happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Is that something else the forces could be doing in countries now (especially in countries on high alert) to help combat terrorism? - do you think police forces should be given these powers now these days to randomly stop and search?

Nice to see you escalated from your original thread rather quickly. Moron

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

nhunter100 wrote:

Its only one of an idea, to fight against terrorism. Not being racist or anything just saying rather than suspicious activity having to be reported can the police not be given special powers to stop and search certain people if they think they are acting suspiciously or somehow out of character. , OK if people are going to cry out that its targeting certain minorities do it across the board then. I dunno how these things work it was just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

My wife refuses to fly anywhere outside of the country until she feels comfortable enough that ISIS are being eradicated.

Her friend was in Nice with her two small children and planned to bring them to the Bastille Day celebrations but, due to a family emergency, she had to fly back to Ireland the day before the attack ............. I'm not going to argue my wife's decision to holiday at home in Ireland with our young children for the foreseeable future.

Is that something else the forces could be doing in countries now (especially in countries on high alert) to help combat terrorism? - do you think police forces should be given these powers now these days to randomly stop and search?
    nhunter100 wrote: »

Extraordinary circumstances call for extraordinary measures ......... it's moronic to stick your head in the sand and hope ISIS disappear all by themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

MadDog76 wrote: »
    My wife refuses to fly anywhere outside of the country until she feels comfortable enough that ISIS are being eradicated.

Her friend was in Nice with her two small children and planned to bring them to the Bastille Day celebrations but, due to a family emergency, she had to fly back to Ireland the day before the attack ............. I'm not going to argue my wife's decision to holiday at home in Ireland with our young children for the foreseeable future.

Did ye ever go on holiday here at home much before?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Did ye ever go on holiday here at home much before?

50/50 here and abroad ......... why do you ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Landed at barajas airport in Madrid and ETA bombed it....was in Paris on Nov 13th and it was an experience trying to get out of the city when it all kicked off.
    But, I went to Brussels a month after they had their attack and didn't think twice about it.
    I guess after an attack, we all have a day or 2 of worry....and then we just get on with our lives. Travel wherever you wish and don't let the fear ruin your life

MadDog76 wrote: »
    50/50 here and abroad ......... why do you ask?

Ah Nothing, just asking man, Ireland is a great place to bring young kids on holidays, all the islands all along the west coast, the entire west coast in general is a great place to bring young ones on holiday. Having a Irish holiday at home with your family is a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I suppose after an attack on places all resources are pulled out and you have even more tightened security out on the streets, so in that respect its a lot safer straight after an attack than before the attack , if you know what I mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wouldn't be in love with travelling in the first place but if I did want to go somewhere I'd go. I wouldn't go if it was advised not to travel.
    From what I've heard. It was even on the radio today that bookings to places such as Tunisia and Turkey are really down this year. (I think a reason for people not travelling is because they know if they get caught up in something they'll be told I told you so when they get home.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You never let the bastards win. Never.

Was in Tunisia a few years ago and I loved it. Went to El-Djem in the desert to see the Roman Amphitheatre, it was so cool, the Tunisian people were so welcoming and sound without going into a total tourist loving overload. Natural decent folk. It got me angry last year to see that fascist terrorist trash tried to involve Tunisia in their web of fear propaganda. Thinking of going back over there for a week in September to go back to El-Djem and go further down the Sahara. Great people.
    Ignore the hate and the fear. That's the way to beat this minority of pigs. Hate and fear is all they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

It doesn't put me off, no.

Terrorists want to cause fear, and panic, and make us act irrationally. You choose not to leave the country out of fear, and they're winning. I won't let that happen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not around Europe but very sad that places like Egypt and Pakistan have become no-go. There are places like Tunisia, Morocco and Turkey that you would probably have to visit now before they fall to the Islamists.

The world suddenly got bigger in the internet age but over the last few years it seems to be getting smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

nhunter100 wrote: »
    mod: Give it a rest with the insults

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Off to France in a few weeks. Granted not to a big city. More rural.

So no worries.

Just waiting till the terrorists realise how easy it is to board a french bound ferry with a van packed with explosives. Checks are non existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Currently in Munich having just arrived before the attacks yesterday. Literally just got into the hostel when I saw people running and screaming outside. Truly frightening but thank goodness it was only a false alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Patww79 wrote: »

False alarm? There's 10 dead people who'd disagree there.[/quote]

Apologies. I should have been clearer. There was another scare in the city centre at about 7pm local time yesterday about an hour after the initial incident. Just wanted to say that those few minutes was a frightening experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yes it does, I never leave the house anymore.

If terrorism puts you off travel, you probably shouldn't leave your house.
    They can get you anywhere, not just in another country.

It doesn't put me off traveling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Well I wouldn't be too keen on visiting France. I'd still go if I had a good enough reason, but it wouldn't be high up on the list of places I want to visit right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Nope, you can't live your life in fear. That's not a life at all.
    That's exactly what the scumbags want, **** them.

Probably not. I mean, why stop living and enjoying life?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In terms of potential holiday destinations, i certainly won't be going to Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Israel or the likes any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Visiting France in August for a few weeks, won't be making any changes to our travel plans. But then we're not visiting any major urban areas or theme parks, mostly cliff/mountain walks and obscure beaches.
    Turkey, Morocco, Egypt and such countries would be off the adjenda though as we have security of kids to think off.

Many years ago we went to Egypt 2 weeks after a bus load of tourists were attacked, prices had plummeted and we took the opportunity, no kids back then though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You are more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport than get caught up in terrorism, so technically that would be the most dangerous part of your holiday.

Get the bus OP

Advertisement