Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Now that is one seriously expensive beer!
    8 bucks for little more than half a shot!

it was a double IPA, but had no aroma and there a brewery that supposed to be really rated.

I suspect the staff hadn't check the line but with that price and reputation it not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thanks for the recommendations folks. We'll have our son with us this time so I can't really go on crazy bar crawls, but it'd be nice to have a more focused approach and get in some decent beers.
    oblivious wrote: »
    People swear by Torst, but my visit the beer was in poor condition (hill farmstead!!) and very expensive (8 dollars for 2cl)
    :eek: That's ridiculous! Was it a collaboration brew with Galway Bay? :P
    aaronm13 wrote: »
    Also the Brooklyn Brewery tour is definitely worth doing.
    Yeah I was looking into that alright. They have some seriously interesting specials that I've never seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

oblivious wrote: »
    it was a double IPA, but had no aroma and there a brewery that supposed to be really rated.

I suspect the staff hadn't check the line but with that price and reputation it not acceptable.

It must be 20cl?

RasTa wrote: »
    It must be 20cl?

Ah Americans and the metric system ;)

Coffee stout in my keg but it's a bit warm out so treated myself to some new ones

34hcab8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Coffee stout in my keg but it's a bit warm out so treated myself to some new ones

34hcab8.jpg

Where'd you get the Beavertown?

Molloys on francis street. €6.25 almost didn't bother.

This inhaler is lovely, juicy is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Where'd you get the Beavertown?

Drinkstore.
    €5,80

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In Robert Reades and ordered what looked like it might be craft - Roundstone. Generic as hell C&C fraft. Missed a run of o'haras taps to the side of the bar!

It's almost worth the price too. 9/10.

Speaking of price Dunnes have those German beers Friday, Sunday and the Larger at 4 for a tenner which seems decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

It's almost worth the price too. 9/10.

Speaking of price Dunnes have those German beers Friday, Sunday and the Larger at 4 for a tenner which seems decent.

Have a can plus others waiting for me in Blackrock, bus strike means I'll have to wait until Monday now to try it

Have a can plus others waiting for me in Blackrock, bus strike means I'll have to wait until Monday now to try it

Dart?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

A few local pints of Born in a Day and Hibernicus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Grayditch wrote: »
    Second attempt at Francis' Big Bangin' IPA confirms that the first bottle was indeed a dud. This is very nice. It wouldn't blow me away, but it's definitely very nice.

I concur. Tried a few McGarles over the last few years and never thought much of them but got some 500ml bottles of their Francis Big Bangin IPA in Lidl today for €2 a bottle and I absolutely love it.

I'm a big fan of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and BrewDog Punk IPA but both are (relatively) hard to get and expensive. This Francis Big Bangin IPA is the closest American style IPA I can get to those two in the price range I'm prepared to pay.

That's my tuppence worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Beavertown Bloody Notorious.

What a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dooliner Irish Red last weekend, nice without being ground breaking. Paljas Saison lastnight, almost champagne like in its carbonation, pleasing level of sherbet and quite refreshing.

Dooliner Irish Red last weekend, nice without being ground breaking.

It's O'Hara's Red afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

What a beer.

Looking forward to trying it. The collaborators Boneyard have a triple IPA called notorious, it sounds like it might share some ingredients. That beer is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It's O'Hara's Red afaik

Was thinking along those lines but hadn't had that red in a long, long time.

Onto an Emelisse Saison now, lot less carbonation than the Paljas, a little hoppier with some grassy notes, enjoyable.

the Bloody Notorious developed a pronounced "alcohol burn" as it warmed, which I consider a flaw in a 9+% beer.

On to a Hillbilly Wine from Siren now. Passionfruit & Oak IPA.

No idea what to expect here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Didn't get any alcohol burn with beavertown dipa wasn't too blown away with it but I think I'm burnt out with ipas

Kinnegar High Glen bottle, not as good as I remember the RDS version.

Lindemans Kriek.

Yummmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Where in the Northside of Dublin has the Beavertown Bloody Notorious and Peacher Man wit? Checked al the usual suspects websites but none have it listed. Trying to save a few wasted journeys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You'd be better phoning as off licence websites are rarely reliable.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Where in the Northside of Dublin has the Beavertown Bloody Notorious and Peacher Man wit? Checked al the usual suspects websites but none have it listed. Trying to save a few wasted journeys.
    Molloys clonsilla has bloody

Thanks for the replys. Clonsilla is a bit out of the way but I'll give Martin's and Sweeney's a call during the week.

I bought Bloody Notorious in McHugh's Artane yesterday (Saturday), and I saw Peacher Man there too, but didn't pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Molloys Clondalkin had/have it. Just had one there. Nice enough but nowt special.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

What a beer.

Agree with this. One of the nicest DIPA's I've tried in a while. Wasn't overly gone on Siren's Hillbilly Wine.
    Peacher Man was also excellent and had Luponic Distortion by Firestone, a classic tasting west coast IPA.

• Advertisement

I bought Bloody Notorious in McHugh's Artane yesterday (Saturday), and I saw Peacher Man there too, but didn't pick one up.

Crap, was going to drop down yesterday but didn't bother when I saw it wasn't on their site. I'll have to drop over some evening now.

Advertisement