Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Just finished off a can of Larkin's IPA, not a fan, sort of a weird aftwrtaste, maybe a bad batch.

Got a bottle of Creann Beatha from Brehon Brewhouse up next, which I'm looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

svyturys ekstra for me this evening, one to consider if like me you prefer a pilsner type beer to ale

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

svyturys ekstra for me this evening, one to consider if like me you prefer a pilsner type beer to ale

Me too, although Molloys had "Svyturys Extra" in their 5 for 10 offer but not "Svyturys Ekstra" :rolleyes: apparently the Extra is a dark beer

f'king misleading and bad practice

Getting fed up with them anyway as their offers are pretty poor these days.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Geuze wrote: »
    I can't justify paying 6 euro for a 2.6% beer.

I can't be the only one trying to do mental arithmetic between ABV and cost :pac:

If I'm paying over the odds for a beer, I want it to be 5.5% or more. I'm not going to drop my metaphorical pants for a session IPA, fcuk that, if I wanted low alcohol low taste I'd buy a macro!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

FWIW the Svyturys Ekstra is not a pilsner, it's quite a bit heavier. On the front label it says "Dortmuender". It also says unpasteurised, on the back label it says pasteurised :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

to me it says "drink me i'm lovely"

They do an ekstra draught bottle which claims unpasteurised alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

JoeLapira wrote: »
    Got a bottle of Creann Beatha from Brehon Brewhouse up next, which I'm looking forward to.

Where did you get it? Was a huge fan of their Shanco Dubh and have kept my eyes open for this in Dublin for ages but never see it.

Where did you get it? Was a huge fan of their Shanco Dubh and have kept my eyes open for this in Dublin for ages but never see it.

I got it from the Brewery, they said they have bottles of it in The Brewdock in Dublin. Had Shanco Dubh before, excellent, but the Creann Beatha is something else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Where did you get it?
    Try Martin's of Fairview. It's always on their corner shelves.

Just tucking in to some Suckerpin from Whiplash, absolute cracker of a beer, most definitely my favourite Berliner Weisse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Got an Innis & Gunn Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale. 6.6%.
    Another nice one from this brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

An old classic, of foam and fury. Preceded by a kinnegar thumper dipa which i preferred to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

With festival season upon us I'm looking to pick up a reasonable amount of craft beers to bring along. Stipulation is that they have to be cans, so I'm aiming for probably 24 cans, possibly 30. Any idea what would be the least cost-prohibitive place to buy cans in some sort of bulk? It's a little painful to buy 6 4packs of Punk IPA cans @ €10 per pack, but this is the most obvious approach at the moment.

Any of the major off-licenses sell any craft cans by the case?

The best deal out there, IMO, is Boyne Brewhouse in Tesco: 6 cans for €10, mix and match between the Session IPA, Vienna Lager and American Pale Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I dont know if you ever travel north but the supermarkets up there normally have 12 cans of Punk for under £15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Go cheap(guinness extra stout bit more enjoyable after day 3 when it's a bit warm outside)

Treat yourself to one crafty at the bar daily. Usually something decent at these festivals now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭4Ad

Samuil Smith Organic fruit beer from England, bought in Dunnes.
    The cherry one was lovely, not so fond of the apricot one.
    First time ever having a fruit beer..I will be having more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Amirani wrote: »
    With festival season upon us I'm looking to pick up a reasonable amount of craft beers to bring along. Stipulation is that they have to be cans, so I'm aiming for probably 24 cans, possibly 30. Any idea what would be the least cost-prohibitive place to buy cans in some sort of bulk? It's a little painful to buy 6 4packs of Punk IPA cans @ €10 per pack, but this is the most obvious approach at the moment.

Just as a follow-up to this. I know someone who has access to Musgrave's Wholesale. They were able to pick up a case of Punk IPA and a case of Chieftan IPA for about €44 each for me.

Happy enough with that result! Cheers for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

What did people think of the Wylam Northern Powerhouse Brew Series? Just wondering if it's worth picking up any more that come out in the series. That's if it's not already finished of course

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    What did people think of the Wylam Northern Powerhouse Brew Series? Just wondering if it's worth picking up any more that come out in the series. That's if it's not already finished of course
    I loved them (well the ones I tried, 002, 004, 006, 007, 008). But you'd be hard pressed to get any more. It came out as an 8-pack. So unless they release another series you'll be dealing with old stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I loved them (well the ones I tried, 002, 004, 006, 007, 008). But you'd be hard pressed to get any more. It came out as an 8-pack. So unless they release another series you'll be dealing with old stock.

Grand, I thought they were releasing multiple packs with different breweries. Been on the lookout for something a bit different lately without too much success. Not that there aren't lots of experimental and new beers out all the time I just haven't been too thrilled by most of the ones I've tried. I did have a really nice IPL recently from Poland so on the lookout for others if anyone can recommend.

I'm in Clifden again this year and the hotel bar and the 2 other bars I've been in so far don't stock Independent beers, they all stocked them in bottle last year. No updates on their website since last year and their twitter account appears to have been closed down. Are they still on the go?

Are they still on the go?
    No.

Aww that's a shame.

Really liked their IPAs.

There's still a couple of bottles of their red ale knocking about in the fridge in the Station House Bar, Clifden if anyone's interested! (I don't like red ales.)

Has anyone ever had any beers from Omnipollo? Came across them there a few weeks back and they have some very interesting looking beers/styles/flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Geuze wrote: »
    White Hag No. 40 table saison, 2.6%, pint = 6.00

It was only afterwards that I saw this is 2.6%.

I can't justify paying 6 euro for a 2.6% beer. Down the street I can get 4.2% stout for 3.70/3.80.

Lough Gill Brewery sloe gin gose, pint = 6.00

Neither of these stood out for me, not in a rush back to have them again.

Boon geuze, 375ml bottle, 7.50 euro, pricey, but a class drink.

Back to the Swagman this week.

Hard to read some of the founts, small fonts.

I had something called "Brett IPA", 6.50 a pint, don't know the brewery.

Then a wheat ale (?).

The proprietor, Dale Barber, offered me some Lervig 3-bean stout.

http://lervig.no/en/brew/3-bean-stout/

I am a stout man, this is interesting, with a sweet, coffee aroma.

I finished the night with a St. Bernardus Abt 12.

JoeLapira wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had any beers from Omnipollo? Came across them there a few weeks back and they have some very interesting looking beers/styles/flavours.
    I've found most of the "interesting" ones to be horrible sickly messes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rufuseric82

Aww that's a shame.

Really liked their IPAs.

There's still a couple of bottles of their red ale knocking about in the fridge in the Station House Bar, Clifden if anyone's interested! (I don't like red ales.)

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/6-jobs-lost-independent-brewing/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've found most of the "interesting" ones to be horrible sickly messes.

I really liked Zodiak, but yeah the "interesting" ones are a bit of a disaster alright.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I really liked Zodiak
    Arzachel, Fata Morgana and Nebuchadnezzar are great too: all IPA variants with no funny stuff.

Advertisement