Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

ianob7 wrote: »
    Was this draught or can ?? Haven't seen any cans anywhere yet

Draught In Alfie Byrnes

• Registered Users Posts: 34,673 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Having a bottle of Foxes Rock Pale Ale here.. It's a lovely drop

Got some a while back and considered pouring it down the sink. Probably should have.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Got some a while back and considered pouring it down the sink. Probably should have.

Fair enough so... each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think my tastebuds have gone in a hops off mode again - had the Whiplash/Wylam and the GBB/Beavertown collabs tonight and nothing is tasting better than average. Whiplash Eventually is my final beer of the evening, if I can't tell a difference I know I need to stay off the hop monsters for a bit.

Away for a night in Wales tomorrow so Brains Bitter and cheap lager it shall be tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just opened a bottle Juice Division Fruit IPA by Galway Bay and Bellwoods..

Very very sweet and not one i'll be buying again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Seen that yesterday but it was almost €7 so big fat no. Noticed a lot more English stuff in Molloys the other night.

Seems over €6 a can will becoming normal

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

RasTa wrote: »
    Seems over €6 a can will becoming normal
    Only if enough people pay it.

For me personally, that's far too much to pay for a beer I'm drinking at home. There's enough good stuff in and around the 4 for €10 bracket to keep me entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Went to Belgium last weekend. I lost track of how many different beers I had there, but loving Westmalle tripel.

Detoxing this weekend......

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I thought my local off licence was having me on when I was told yesterday that he pulled Whiplash's Northern Lights from his shelves because of exploding cans. It seems he was half right:

https://twitter.com/whiplashbeer/status/1038022710167789568

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Got my hands on the Double Vanilla Ice Cream DIPA from Omnipollo/Buxton and I have to say I really enjoyed it. As soon as it was opened it reminded me of an ice cream cone and at 8% it was very easy to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Just back from a trip to the States all around Tennessee, Georgia and Louisiana. Have to say that it was the first time in a while I was truly wowed by an IPA. Far too much of new stuff produced here and the UK just feel rushed and all taste too similar to me.
    Some standout breweries were Terrapin (Miller Coors major shareholder so technically not craft), Creature Comforts, Urban South, Southern brewing, NOLA brewing and Wicked Weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Just opened a Black Bucket, forgot how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Just back from a trip to the States all around Tennessee, Georgia and Louisiana. Have to say that it was the first time in a while I was truly wowed by an IPA. Far too much of new stuff produced here and the UK just feel rushed and all taste too similar to me.
    Some standout breweries were Terrapin (Miller Coors major shareholder so technically not craft), Creature Comforts, Urban South, Southern brewing, NOLA brewing and Wicked Weed.
    You can add Wicked Weed to the same list as Terrapin. They “sold out” to Anheuser-Busch.

Over for a short hop in Bristol, not partial to cider so I tentatively tried a bitter: Bath Ales' Gem (Amber). Pleasantly surprised, and not just because it wasn't a casket ale served at room temperature. This one is a keeper, next mission source closer to home...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Booked a few days in Lisbon for next month, any recommendations appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Go to Porto instead :p

In Lisbon - Quimera is a must see, if only for the building - it's in a tunnel. Beer is decent, smaller batch products made on site and bigger ones made in rented kit I think (I was talking to the owner/brewer for ages but the volume of product drunk meant I don't remember everything)

The other central craft bars are all pretty crap. Musa products are available in anywhere that is a bit less generic, bit like O'Hara's market penetration here

Cervejteca, if I've spelled it right, is good also but quite non central

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Hi - can one get Kinnegar White Rabbit in bottles anymore or is it just in cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Hi - can one get Kinnegar White Rabbit in bottles anymore or is it just in cans?

Embrace the cans. It's a better way of keeping beer fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dtlibra

Was in Bristol for the last few days.
    The CAMRA Casl Ales are not to my taste.
    However, Gem Ale by Bath Ales was wonderful........................

Beavertown still put on the best beer festival there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just back from the Asia Market on Drury St, Dublin, where they have the Korean beer Hite for €1 a bottle (or €18 for 24 bottles). I thought about putting this in the Good Beer Bargain thread, but it’s not very good. One that will go down cold on a summer’s day I suppose, but we don’t have one of those today.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 34,673 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So Hite's a bit Shite then :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Picked up a small bottle of Mescan Westporter this week for the first time in ages. Found it much nicer than I remembered. Will have to pick up a few more for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Booked a few days in Lisbon for next month, any recommendations appreciated!

I thought Duque brewpub was nice. Crafty Corner was another decent spot. Cerveteca Lisboa is highly rated on rate beer but I never made it there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Just after pouring a Hillstown Steaming Stag lager (brewed for the Galgorm hotel) down the sink. Really horrible smoky aftertaste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Also, if you have a spare minute or two...Fella doing a postgrad would appreciate if people could fill in a quick craft beer survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CBEER18

Just in the local tesco there(Manchester) first time in 2 weeks. In shock at all the 440ml crafty stuff they have now.

Blueberry Breakfest stout, Brut IPA's. All seem to be from North, Yeastie boys and Vocation. THronbridge 440's too but sold out so dunno if it was can or bottle.

Some DDH stuff too. High and average abv's too. Shame it's sitting on warm shelves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The selection of canned ales and crafty stuff in the Uk is so much better than here, we are improving though!

I'm drinking Peroni tonight. I've found my self moving away from craft ales and back to more band stuff recently I dunno why but I'm really enjoying it. I have a can of Dead Centre Brewing's Sourcecode in the fridge though which I'll probably have after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Embrace the cans. It's a better way of keeping beer fresh.

I'm all in favour of the cans. Sometimes if I just want a taste and a 500ml bottle is too much so the cans are perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Picked up a small bottle of Mescan Westporter this week for the first time in ages. Found it much nicer than I remembered. Will have to pick up a few more for the weekend.

Mescan supply six packs to local shops that are the classiest multipacks on this island. If you are lucky they'll even throw in branded goblets :)

In other Mayo news I'm dipping into West Mayo's Throstle Preacher. As IPA's go it's different, not too fancy or OTT.

Advertisement