Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was at the Craft Beer Calling festival in Newcastle on Saturday http://www.craftbeercalling.com/ - highly recommend it, smaller and more chilled than IMBC but with a lovely selection of beer.

Highlight was undoubtedly Feasting with Panthers Wylam's Borefts celebration brew - An imperial Stout with Liquorice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Underdog kicking off stout season this weekend. Rascals irish coffee stout first up on thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

VW 1 wrote: »
    Underdog kicking off stout season this weekend. Rascals irish coffee stout first up on thursday.

And O'Brother's Joe Coffee Porter. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Stout season is hands down my favourite time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

VW 1 wrote: »
    Stout season is hands down my favourite time of the year.

Yes.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Fresh cans of Centennial.

It's like I haven't had a beer in years.

Heaven, I'm in heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Fresh cans of Centennial.

It's like I haven't had a beer in years.

Heaven, I'm in heaven.

State you location.. the um quality control police are on their way..

Where did you get them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

In Mexico,

Drinking Indio and victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Local Supervalu had Kinnegar Swingletree in cans so it was added to the basket. Good as ever but for some reason I'm not in the mood for that taste profile tonight.

I'm not sure I want to know what the bunny and the horse are doing behind the tree on the label!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half. It's sweet and it's boozy and may not be to everyone's taste, but I just love what those guys do once they start playing around with barrel ageing beers. Had a CBS the other day and it was equally magnificent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

State you location.. the um quality control police are on their way..

Where did you get them?!

Blackrock cellar.

4 for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zaph wrote: »
    Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half. It's sweet and it's boozy and may not be to everyone's taste, but I just love what those guys do once they start playing around with barrel ageing beers. Had a CBS the other day and it was equally magnificent.

Yeah I loved it too. The initial sweetness makes you think that they’ve overdone it initially but then the boozy bourbon flavours come through to balance it all. Guys can do no wrong in my eyes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Guys can do no wrong in my eyes.
    Ummm...

BeerNut wrote: »

:/ I need to stop praising US breweries. The last one I praised was Melvin and somebody replied with a similar link about sexism. In my defence though I was talking about the quality of their beer on both occasions. If that story is true it’s a sad indictment of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A few nights ago I supped two cans of Dead Centre's Moondust. For a porter and a coffee induced brew it's deceptively light lasting. Tonight I'm on Williams Bros Birds and Bees. Pretty light and zippy, not at all bad and I will return to this brewer again if Lidl keep stocking their fares.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A few nights ago I supped two cans of Dead Centre's Moondust. For a porter and a coffee induced brew it's deceptively light lasting. Tonight I'm on Williams Bros Birds and Bees. Pretty light and zippy, not at all bad and I will return to this brewer again if Lidl keep stocking their fares.

Their March of the Penguins stout is a great beer and worth a try if Lidl have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Had a couple of cans of Wicklow WB 40 last night, really enjoyed the extra sharpness over the hopknut I had during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Had a couple of cans of Wicklow WB 40 last night, really enjoyed the extra sharpness over the hopknut I had during the week.

Where’s you pick that up?

CianRyan wrote: »
    Where’s you pick that up?

Supervalu in gorey but I think it's available in most Supervalu's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yellowbelly on draft, first time trying it. Decent but have had better omni imperial stouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Supervalu in gorey but I think it's available in most Supervalu's

Lovely! My local Malloy’s does t stock their stuff so I’ll check out SuperValue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Maisel Weiss, Elvis Juice, Tom Crean, Duuvel, chimay, La Choufe... frankly, today...if it's liquid and has alcohol..I'm drinking it

CianRyan wrote: »
    Lovely! My local Malloy’s does t stock their stuff so I’ll check out SuperValue!

Had a bottle of the gingerknut also but was less impressed with that than either the WB40 or the hopknut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I just finished a Chimay blue. Surprised I never had it before.
    Liking it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Four Lough Gill beers are on offer at 3.50 per draught pint on Fridays after 5pm in the Railway Bar, Lord Edward street, Sligo.

Anderson's ale

Cutback lager

An IPA

An APA

It's not a typical craft beer pub, but fair play to them for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Pint of Belly Dance, grape and lime ipa by Yellowbelly. Was without doubt the worst tasting beer I've ever had. There was a whiff of vomit which was also present in the taste. Two sips and left it. This should never have been sold. Having said that I'd be interested to hear if anyone actually likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Uncle_moe wrote:
    Pint of Belly Dance, grape and lime ipa by Yellowbelly. Was without doubt the worst tasting beer I've ever had. There was a whiff of vomit which was also present in the taste. Two sips and left it. This should never have been sold. Having said that I'd be interested to hear if anyone actually likes it.

Luckily I asked for a taster in Alfie Byrne's before committing to a pint ...thought it was very poor too myself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Having said that I'd be interested to hear if anyone actually likes it.
    I thought it was OK. The flavours were a bit overdone but it least it wasn't actually infected or otherwise technically flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Uncle_moe wrote: »

I saw this in the offie recently and was wondering if we'd run out of ingredient combos for new IPAs!
    Never have I drank an IPA and felt that what was missing was some grape juice and a bit of lime. Both are added post fermentation as well so I'd say you'll end up with a strange flavour combo, maybe one for people who like sours?

• Advertisement

basskebab wrote: »
    I saw this in the offie recently and was wondering if we'd run out of ingredient combos for new IPAs!
    Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I pretty much always pick up new stuff when it's out, but this flavour combo really didn't appeal.

Advertisement