Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

BeerNut wrote: »
    I thought it was OK. The flavours were a bit overdone but it least it wasn't actually infected or otherwise technically flawed.

Was wondering if it was technically sound because I really couldn't take it. guess it's just not for me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Jule Maelk Cognac Imperial Stout on draught bit boozy at 15%! It's very nice but probably missing some of the depth on some of the best strong stouts I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why is it so hard to find the abv on the labels of American beers?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Some Foreign Extra Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half and Northern Monk Patreon Imperial Stout (Cacao, Tonka Bean & Sour Cherry) to chose from.

Some Green Spot or IPA caskmates to go with them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Loved that stout(NM)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lindemans gueze tonight. Really enjoying it, ages since I had a lambic. Heading to Amsterdam next week with work (I know lambic is Belgian before someone corrects me!), so looking forward to catching up on some brews there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Pint of Belly Dance, grape and lime ipa by Yellowbelly. Was without doubt the worst tasting beer I've ever had. There was a whiff of vomit which was also present in the taste. Two sips and left it. This should never have been sold. Having said that I'd be interested to hear if anyone actually likes it.

Had it in can form and thought it wasn't that bad.
    Wonder if it's worth trying again from a can

• Registered Users Posts: 34,673 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've not tried many Yellowbellys but didn't like any of them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their specials, of which there are loads, are extremely variable

I believe everything except the lager and the citra are specials

There's a lot to be said for finding something you're good at and sticking to it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why is it so hard to find the abv on the labels of American beers?!

Sometimes it's not there.
    Certain states forbid this information on the label (bonkers, I know). Sometimes producers export bottles/cans labeled for these states.
    These labels aren't compliant with Irish or EU law but sometimes come in.

https://growlermag.com/whats-the-abv-transparency-in-beer-labeling-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sometimes it's not there.
    Certain states forbid this information on the label (bonkers, I know). Sometimes producers export bottles/cans labeled for these states.
    These labels aren't compliant with Irish or EU law but sometimes come in.

https://growlermag.com/whats-the-abv-transparency-in-beer-labeling-2/

That is bonkers alright. Even when it is there I nearly always find it hard to find.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    I believe everything except the lager and the citra are specials
    Castaway, On The Fritz and Hopped in Space are regulars too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Tried White Gypsy "The Banker" a Tipperary take on a Weiss beer....it's actually a very light & tasty beer and very nice indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Spent a couple of days In Skibbereen last week. A craft beer desert in terms of pubs (in fairness, the Murphy's was very good) but Supervalu had good range of local bottles.

Anyway from the 9whitedeer brewery in Ballyvourney, Stag Saor is a range of gluten free beers, Trying them over a few days. First was their stout with double chocolate and Madagascan vanilla. 500 ml 4.2% 3 for 10 euro in offies in West Cork

It was lovely rich fullbodied. Enjoyed it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had it in can form and thought it wasn't that bad.
    Wonder if it's worth trying again from a can

Actually enjoyed a can of this last night

sceach16 wrote: »
    Spent a couple of days In Skibbereen last week. A craft beer desert in terms of pubs (in fairness, the Murphy's was very good) but Supervalu had good range of local bottles.

Anyway from the 9whitedeer brewery in Ballyvourney, Stag Saor is a range of gluten free beers, Trying them over a few days. First was their stout with double chocolate and Madagascan vanilla. 500 ml 4.2% 3 for 10 euro in offies in West Cork

It was lovely rich fullbodied. Enjoyed it very much.

Had their Ol-e pilsner this evening. Nice crisp enjoyable. BBD was 11/18 but it tasted fresh and fine. 500 ml, couln't see proof but I reckon 4/5%. Made special for blian na gaeilge 2018. Recommended.

I also had Stag Ban-a pale ale . BBD 05/2019. Opened it watching tele...ERROR...much over me and the chair ! Mopped up changed jeans. tasted. fairly fresh but flattish, not impressed.

Overall, I liked the beers but be cautious opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

RasTa wrote: »
    Loved that stout(NM)

It's great alright, not sure how often i'll have it at 7.25 euro a can though.

Had their Ol-e pilsner this evening. Nice crisp enjoyable. BBD was 11/18 but it tasted fresh and fine. 500 ml, couln't see proof but I reckon 4/5%. Made special for blian na gaeilge 2018. Recommended.

I also had Stag Ban-a pale ale . BBD 05/2019. Opened it watching tele...ERROR...much over me and the chair ! Mopped up changed jeans. tasted. fairly fresh but flattish, not impressed.

Overall, I liked the beers but be cautious opening!

3 rd of he evening.Black Lightning black ipa. Sour sharp flat. BBD was 03/2018. Should I have to check every bloody bottle for BBD.

Bought like the other 9 deers in Matsons Bandon. Not again

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Bought like the other 9 deers in Matsons Bandon. Not again

There's always a good proportion of beers in both the Grange and Bandon stores past the Best Before dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

White Gypsy Scarlet Belgian sour and Kinegar Phunk Noir last night in Bierhaus, Cork.
    Two excellent Irish sours imo.

Also had White Hag silver branch apple sour aged in chardonnay casks. Didn't care for this too much - far too yeasty tasting for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

jh79 wrote: »
    It's great alright, not sure how often i'll have it at 7.25 euro a can though.

Well it's a once off so when it's gone tis gone.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This year's Diving Bell is a very different beast to last year's. It's not as sweet this time round as they've left the salted caramel out, but it feels a lot boozier as it's been matured in rum barrels, even though the ABV is only 0.5% higher. I think I prefer last year's, but that said this year's is still very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Zaph wrote: »
    This year's Diving Bell is a very different beast to last year's. It's not as sweet this time round as they've left the salted caramel out, but it feels a lot boozier as it's been matured in rum barrels, even though the ABV is only 0.5% higher. I think I prefer last year's, but that said this year's is still very tasty.

It's a fine beer in its own right but they should've changed the name imo. The original Diving Bell was a delicious syrupy salted caramel that tasted very different to the current release.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Passenger wrote: »
    It's a fine beer in its own right but they should've changed the name imo. The original Diving Bell was a delicious syrupy salted caramel that tasted very different to the current release.

Yeah, that would have made more sense all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Good old simple Guinness Draught this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone try Blacks Kinsale Werewolf Bite IPA? First time coming across it. Quite nice

It's a rebadge of Rocketship.

Rocket Ship is gooood though. Hope this doesn't mean a price increase.

• Advertisement

Halloween is over. It'll be gone when the keg is empty.

Advertisement