Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Bloody notorious is nice. a very simple malt backbone. pretty dry with just a hint of sweetness, almost creamy. The hops could do with some tweaking, it's a collaboration brew in fairness, a first iteration. If they brew it again I hope they adjust the hopping.

Ruination is a little tastier and better value right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Finally got my hands on Sweetwater Pale and IPA, they are quite nice, have a few others in the fridge including the notorious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Few pints of Murphys stout last night...yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dois Corvos Galaxia milk Stout, absolutely lovely. Nice level of carbonation, coffee, chocolate and roast malt all coming through nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Went to what was once The Porterhouse North tonight. To all intents and purposes it's still a Porterhouse as far as I can make out. All their beers on tap.

Had a pint of Wrasslers and Plain. Wrasslers is strange, Plain is solid.

Then walked up to the Back Page where I had a pint of Otra Vez and a pint of Sim Simma.

Both lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Siren 5 alarm red chilli last night. It starts out smoky and then the chilli hits which was too much.

Also had a Black Albert from De Struise Brouwers. Lovely and full flavored with everything you want from an imperial stout. Loads of chocolate, coffee and strong dark fruit with a nice hint of the alcohol burn at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Dungarven coffee and oatmeal stout.... lovely and not overpowering...and some white rabbit to follow afterward...a good afternoons rugby ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anybody try the new Galway Bay/Cigar City sour? Need to treat myself to something tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

About to pop open a year old 8 degrees millennium. Interested to see how this has changed over the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Working my way through a food variety of beer at the minute, but I keep drifting back to 12 Acre. May not be hipster enough, but I do enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Got a few bits tonight. Beavertown Peacher Man, so disappointed in this. It's not a wit at all. Best comparison is a poor man's Elvis Juice or Bloody Ell.

Lagnuitas Stoopid wit, pretty decent but definitely more of an IPA than a wit.

Beavertown Bloody Notorious, fantastic, easily the best IPA I've ever tasted. So easy to drink too, best IPA I've tasted.

Also made an impulse buy of Chimay Grande Reserve. At €30 it better be stunning. Going to keep it for my wedding anniversary later in the week to try.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

About to pop open a year old 8 degrees millennium. Interested to see how this has changed over the year

Was that an imperial stout or an imperial IPA? I know I had one or two, but I cannot recall what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

An File wrote: »
    Was that an imperial stout or an imperial IPA? I know I had one or two, but I cannot recall what it was.

An imperial ipa
    A lot of the hops had disappeared, but it was still quite tasty
    Hid the alcohol a lot better than when originally released but I still wish I drank it last September

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Had a Phaeton on draught last night. I wasn't a fan of it on bottle, on draught it tasted worse. The hops were drowned by the sweetness, why make a sweet ipa without much speciality grain. I don't get it at all. Sweetness without substance.

I had a resin DIPA in the tree tun after. Really dank and pretty sweet too, but a nice caramel sweetness. Great value at €4 for a 9.1% 355ml can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Back from Aldi so enjoying Rheinbacher Weissbier which is basically a poor man's Franziskaner Weissbier.

Not too bad for the price. Not as strong or fragrant as I would expect from a Weissbier. Banana taste, an easy drinker but a bit vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Had a Phaeton on draught last night. I wasn't a fan of it on bottle, on draught it tasted worse. The hops were drowned by the sweetness, why make a sweet ipa without much speciality grain. I don't get it at all. Sweetness without substance.

I tried it recently myself, I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't impressed either. The sign said 'tropical ipa' and I prefer the fruity ipa varieties so i was expecting something different, but this didn't live up. It was still drinkable and I hope to give it another go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Had my two bottles of Walla Walla last night. Such a pleasant yet unassuming beer; Kinnegar once again doesn't let me down :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had my two bottles of Walla Walla last night. Such a pleasant yet unassuming beer; Kinnegar once again doesn't let me down :)

Had two bottles of that recently as well, was lucky to find them by chance in a shop I don't visit very often any more. I really noticed the more unusual flavours the second time around after finding them very subtle in the first bottle. I must have chilled it too much!

Also got to try 8 Degrees' double IPA on draught in Mother Mac's in Limerick. Loved it. More impressive than the two recent ones from GBB (Going Out West, Phaeton) in my opinion. That said, I wouldn't refuse either of those if I was offered one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Having a few 8 Degree Polar Vortex. I'm beginning to prefer the taste of beers below 5% APV, so a bit Meh! about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

odell-brombeere.jpg?itok=YRAHpBHW

Odell Brombeere Blackberry Gose

This was a tasty sup. Dark fruits with a hint of saltiness and a hazy body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

An File wrote: »
    Had two bottles of that recently as well, was lucky to find them by chance in a shop I don't visit very often any more. I really noticed the more unusual flavours the second time around after finding them very subtle in the first bottle. I must have chilled it too much!

Also got to try 8 Degrees' double IPA on draught in Mother Mac's in Limerick. Loved it. More impressive than the two recent ones from GBB (Going Out West, Phaeton) in my opinion. That said, I wouldn't refuse either of those if I was offered one!

Mine were standing in a box in the kitchen so they were room temperature. The spices were so subtly done but they probably made it as a special beer. I'd definitely get another if I see it again.

Having a bottle of Galway Bay Ceasefire (The Ale Formally Known as Brigid). It's quite nice, not overtly sour and with a nice bit of Rhubarb and hint of spice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A Third Circle Rye Stout tonight, very enjoyable, nice carbonation, chocolate and coffee flavours abound.

matrim wrote: »
    Having a bottle of Galway Bay Ceasefire (The Ale Formally Known as Brigid). It's quite nice, not overtly sour and with a nice bit of Rhubarb and hint of spice

Have they changed the labels on the bottles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Have they changed the labels on the bottles?

No, they didn't recall them just to re-label them, that would have been ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I only caught the tail end of that one. Seemed all very precious from the offended party. Lots of beers have the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Had Galway Bay Brown Ale. Nothing special. The rhubard sour was ok too, a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I only caught the tail end of that one. Seemed all very precious from the offended party. Lots of beers have the same name.

That was my first reaction but when I thought about it, I can't think of another Irish craft brew with a person's name as its moniker, nevermind Brigid.
    And the other thing is that Brigid is not one of many beers that the offended party has, it's their only beer!

BaZmO* wrote: »

Yeah, seemed like a mountain out of a molehill. Technically Two Sisters are probably right because they have a trademark but as soon as Galway Bay were informed of their mistake they renamed it on keg but couldn't recall bottles because they were already distrubited. Which seems fair enough to me.

• Advertisement

I think Subo had one too many Brigid's that night to be fair ;-)

Advertisement