Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

colly10 wrote:
    I’ve been drinking 2 New England IPA’s by Lervig for most of the year. Looks like O’briens stopped stocking them. Would anyone know of any New England IPA’s that they’d recommend?

Vocations love and hate is a great new England too

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

BeerNut wrote: »
    Rascals Foggy Juice is worth trying.

I'd agree with that. Not a big fan of the style but this one stood out. I also remember cumulus lupulus by eight degrees being nice but think it was a limited release.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I also remember cumulus lupulus by eight degrees being nice but think it was a limited release.
    It's around at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I wanted a couple of beers last night and the only thing the local shop had were the foxes rock beers. Anyway I bought the American style IPA and it was much better than when I had it a year or two ago. Must be a new recipe or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wanted a couple of beers last night and the only thing the local shop had were the foxes rock beers. Anyway I bought the American style IPA and it was much better than when I had it a year or two ago. Must be a new recipe or something.

Changed a while ago, had avoided them like the plague until another poster confirmed they had changed the recipes.

They're fine now. McGargles went through a similar awful to drinkable change some years beforehand, seems to be a common trend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

colly10 wrote: »
    I’ve been drinking 2 New England IPA’s by Lervig for most of the year. Looks like O’briens stopped stocking them. Would anyone know of any New England IPA’s that they’d recommend?
    The Whiplash stuff is world class, and a step or two beyond any irish brewery. Also easiest to find fresh. Currently the freshest ones on the shelves are Cream on Chrome (DIPA) and Let Forever Be (Pale ale). The Northern Lights is a great 2.8% "micro" NEIPA! Rollover is also brilliant and always available (most of their stuff is seasonal)

Also high cotton is one of the more surprising beers, like a hazy trappist beer. Never had a beer like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

snowblind wrote: »
    The Whiplash stuff is world class, and a step or two beyond any irish brewery. Also easiest to find fresh. Currently the freshest ones on the shelves are Cream on Chrome (DIPA) and Let Forever Be (Pale ale). The Northern Lights is a great 2.8% "micro" NEIPA! Rollover is also brilliant and always available (most of their stuff is seasonal)

Also high cotton is one of the more surprising beers, like a hazy trappist beer. Never had a beer like it.

I agree that Whiplash have some nice stuff, Rollover as you mentioned and Surrender to the void. Lately though I feel like they're churning out too much to the detriment of a lot of the releases. A lot of them taste harsh or boring. Granted I haven't gone back since Clap Hands but I needed a break from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I agree that Whiplash have some nice stuff, Rollover as you mentioned and Surrender to the void. Lately though I feel like they're churning out too much to the detriment of a lot of the releases. A lot of them taste harsh or boring. Granted I haven't gone back since Clap Hands but I needed a break from them.

We clearly have different preferences; Clap Hands was for me one of the more boring ones :pac:

Since they started brewing in Larkins the quality got one step better imho & the recent stuff has been their best. That co-operation between them has become 'a bit' tricky since though so who knows what the future holds

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Due to one of KLM or AirBaltic losing my bag, I'm stuck in my hotel in Riga as my travelling clothes make me look like a Russian gangster and that is not a good look in this part of the world...

Hotel has only one local beer on tap, Cēsu. Quite passable although it rates really quite poorly on RateBeer.

Its that or Warsteiner or €8 (huge) glasses of Johnnie Walker basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

In Brussels absolutely hammering the Kwak..

Great stuff served in what can only be described as a science experiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

In Brussels absolutely hammering the Kwak..

Great stuff served in what can only be described as a science experiment

No .....it is a sobriety testometer !:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Red Red Redemption in Underdog last night, gorgeous beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Yellow belly tin can of emotion, pours cloudy with nice head sharp hop taste which hides its 10% alcohol well.
    Enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Got the pre order for 100 fathoms in. No idea when I'll be back in Ireland to drink it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

RasTa wrote: »
    Got the pre order for 100 fathoms in. No idea when I'll be back in Ireland to drink it

You should order some 200 Fathoms as well. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thought I'd changed that, not arsed going back. Good price too for what I'd consider one of the best stouts.

How is black boar in cans? Trying to get some over here but nobody has it atm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Kermis in De Ale by Brouwerij Bliksem, nice Black IPA plenty hoppy and taste of chocolate off it. Will drink again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Got handed a bottle of that Guiness pilsner last night. It's the most tasteless beer I've ever consumed. If it wasn't fizzy it would be like drinking tap water. How do they do it? It says on the label there hops in it. I don't mind lagers I'll drink peroni, budvar etc but that stuff is a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

RasTa wrote: »
    Thought I'd changed that, not arsed going back. Good price too for what I'd consider one of the best stouts.

How is black boar in cans? Trying to get some over here but nobody has it atm

Picked one up in Martins today but wont be opening it for the next week or so.

Got a rake of stuff in for Xmas, including magic rock imperial stout, cbs, backwoods bastard, breakfast stout, boyne imperial stout, hope barrel aged imperial stout, white hag coffee milk stout, rascals bourbon stout and founders better half.

Anyone seeing a pattern :D

They wont have 200 fathoms or KBS til next weekend for anybody looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What's the best offy in Dublin city centre for craft beer selection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

MadYaker wrote: »

Stephen Street News for value for money. But the best are just outside the city center, such as Drinkstore, Baggot Wines, Martin's Off Licence, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

MadYaker wrote: »

Not city centre but if you're south Dublin try the Blackrock Cellar. Amazing range of beer and big Irish only craft section. Well worth the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Picked up couple bottles of stout founders kbs being one then seeing as gets lot recommendations.

Actually noticed on back the label it says best by 29/11/17.

Will be ok to drink?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes. It's the sort of beer that's likely to improve with age, but a best-before date is a legal obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes. It's the sort of beer that's likely to improve with age, but a best-before date is a legal obligation.

Grand nice one! Wasn't sure cause I've had other beers that went flat after there date!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/128500/

Picked up a few cans of this for Christmas, gets great reviews, can’t wait to sample.

Edit: I’m a Paddy living in The Hague in case you wonder where I purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/128500/

Picked up a few cans of this for Christmas, gets great reviews, can’t wait to sample.

Edit: I’m a Paddy living in The Hague in case you wonder where I purchased.

Available in Ireland too for the last couple of years. O'Briens stock some of the Stone range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Lashings and lashings of Westmalle Dubbel.

2.60 in a pub in Leuven.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Malheur 12 on draught no less. Such a fantastic beer once it gets to warm up slightly. Nice malt backbone nice rich dark fruits. Ideal for winter. It will be hard to go back to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Few bottles of Tripel Karmeliet this evening.

Advertisement