Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Back yet again in Leuven. More lashings of cheap westmalle dubbel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I spotted some Samuel Smiths beer in an off-licence in a small town, unusual I thought.

I bought some oatmeal stout and some organic chocolate stout.

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/bottles/

The bottles are 550ml, which is odd.

High ratings here, it seems:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-smiths-oatmeal-stout/87/

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-smiths-organic-chocolate-stout/182774/

Both beers seemed above average quality to me, I would buy again.

A real strong scent/flavour of choc.

I paid 3.40 / 3.65.

Last week I had some 8 Degrees Blowhard.

It is an imperial stout.

I paid 5.00 in the Swagman pub, for what was described as "3/4 pint".

Very strong stuff, 12%.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    The bottles are 550ml, which is odd.
    They're an odd brewery. Pete Brown wrote in one of his books about beer that if Willy Wonka made beer his name would be Samuel Smith.

The owner seems to be a right piece of work. Swearing. The bridge. Short measures. Pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their pubs are bloody odd too, the few I've been in

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're an odd brewery. Pete Brown wrote in one of his books about beer that if Willy Wonka made beer his name would be Samuel Smith.

Yes indeed.

Odd to remove all SS branding from the external facades of the pubs.

Odd that there's no maps/locations of the pubs on the brewery website.

They have 20+ pubs in London, good value prices.

BeerNut wrote: »

The owner seems to be a right piece of work.

Can I ask, even though the owner seems unpleasant, is the beer good quality?

Are the the types to be cutting corners in production?

The two bottles I had seemed good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    is the beer good quality?
    In general, yes, even if they're not very exciting. I'm not a fan of the flavoured ones, but the lagers are pretty decent, likewise the porter, stout, imperial stout and winter warmer.

Two cans of Boyne APA basically pouring, or going in to the mouth, as foam. Have to leave it up to ten minutes with repeat pours to get 330ml + head to fit in to a pint glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just back from a work trip to Amsterdam so headed off in search of some affligem last night (I know it’s Belgian!).

Anyway no luck so settled on a Chimay brown and linesman’s gueuze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Shepherd and Neame's Christmas Ale, hunted down the last bottle in SuperValu on the quays yesterday. My favourite ale by a long margin. Only managed to find 3 bottles over the whole of xmas.

13682.thm350.jpg

If anyone spots any more let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

Lagunitas
    12 th of never
    Ale

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cracked open a bottle of Mescan's Beoir na Nollaig a while ago. Six months of conditioning and a transfer into whiskey casks for a finishing maturation has given this ale a subtle taste yet an amazingly warm and warming feel. It should be illegal to make beer this good so rarely; it's definitely getting my top vote in the Beoir awards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

L1011 wrote: »
    Two cans of Boyne APA basically pouring, or going in to the mouth, as foam. Have to leave it up to ten minutes with repeat pours to get 330ml + head to fit in to a pint glass!

did you let the brewery know?

No, never really got in the habit of telling places directly when I probably should...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

L1011 wrote: »
    No, never really got in the habit of telling places directly when I probably should...

I'm not trying to needle you, please don't think I am, but in my experience Irish breweries really appreciate a bit of private feedback, be in a DM on twitter or an email or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Trouble Brewing definitely didn't! Unfortunate since buying their cans is too much of a diacetyl-gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snowblind wrote: »
    Trouble Brewing definitely didn't! Unfortunate since buying their cans is too much of a diacetyl-gamble
    Let alone most of their beers are below average anyway. Their cherry/chocolate type stout was woeful, had it a couple of months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Anyone know if 8 Degrees Hopsfume is still available anywhere. Had it last night and wished I had bought a few more bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Vocation Love & Hate NIEPAs only £2 in Tesco in Derry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah had one last night. Canned 8th of November. Tastes like it has been sitting on a warm shelf for 3 months but not god awful.

Drinking the Rye River "Just The Tipple" spruce tip saison currently. Its about as odd as you might expect (and rather expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah had one last night. Canned 8th of November. Tastes like it has been sitting on a warm shelf for 3 months but not god awful.

Fosters? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

sceach16 wrote: »
    Fosters? :confused:

Vocation Love & Hate NIEPA I would Imagine.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Got two more cans of it today. Canned on 21st Jan and still cold, must have just being put out.

£13 for below, serious value

DxwY6v-XgAM3AEM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

RasTa wrote:
    Got two more cans of it today. Canned on 21st Jan and still cold, must have just being put out.

RasTa wrote:
    £13 for below, serious value

That's insane value ! I paid 4 euro something for a single can of the New England :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I must have somehow unsubscribed from this thread. I was wondering why I wasn’t getting any notifications!

I love the Vocation stuff. I have fond memories of filling up the car with lots of their range @ £1.50 a can on trips to Newry. Always on offer in Tesco too @ 4 for €10, and often in SuperValu too.

Just finished a can of Coco Joe from Kinnegar. It’s their Yannaroddy with coffee. The combination of coconut and coffee doesn’t do it for me. Tastes almost savoury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Rascals Irish Coffee Stout bottle. Just didn't do it for me. Kinda sour and hardly if any whiskey taste. Coffee was almost non existent too. Shame as I usually like Thier beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Rascals Irish Coffee Stout bottle. Just didn't do it for me. Kinda sour and hardly if any whiskey taste. Coffee was almost non existent too. Shame as I usually like Thier beers.

I had that on the nitro and thought it was unreal, but then I got the bottle and totally agree, there was defo a strange sourness to it, almost lemon like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

penev10 wrote: »
    Shepherd and Neame's Christmas Ale, hunted down the last bottle in SuperValu on the quays yesterday. My favourite ale by a long margin. Only managed to find 3 bottles over the whole of xmas.

13682.thm350.jpg

If anyone spots any more let me know :)

Not sure where you're based but Super Valu in Corbally in Limerick have a few of these in stock at the minute.

Advertisement