Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just opened a bottle of Sierra Nevadas Winter Warmer Lager

Really nice for 6.7% and ill definitely be getting a few more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just opened a bottle of Sierra Nevadas Winter Warmer Lager

Really nice for 6.7% and ill definitely be getting a few more

I liked that. Reminded me of a Bock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Geuze wrote: »
    Last week I had some 8 Degrees Blowhard.

It is an imperial stout.

I paid 5.00 in the Swagman pub, for what was described as "3/4 pint".

Very strong stuff, 12%.

This week the barperson was unfamiliar with Blowhard, so I had to point to the tap.

I was sitting maybe six people away from the tap, and couldn't see what happened next: the barperson pulled a pint of imperial stout from the tap into a regular pint glass.

A few moments later they approached me and said "didn't realise it's a stout".

I said, smiling, it's actually a smaller serve.

They said it was poured anyways, so I took it. Six euro.

I was then worried about getting affected too fast, or ending up snoring, and the wife would not be happy.

It also meant I couldn't have any other drink.

I slowly made my way through the pint, deliberately sipping it, and trying to stretch it out over an hour or more.

I make the following comment, which I realise doesn't really make sense: the taste / feeling / experience wasn't as good in a pint glass, as in a smaller, rounded, chalice-type glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Off to bruges again tomorrow, missus ebjoyed it so much last year she booked a surprise trip for us to go back.

She didnt drink beer til that weekend, now we nerd out in the off licence and try new beers at the weekend.

Love bruges.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No need to hop on a plane when the local pub keeps getting lovely beers in on draught! Mother Mac's in Limerick City have a few stouts on their rotation taps tonight.

Started with An Dorchadas (White Gypsy) and moved onto It's Not Vodka (Yellow Belly) to kick-start my weekend. Great pub. Great selection of Irish booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's probably wrong thread but anyone have any non alcoholic beer recommendations?

It's probably wrong thread but anyone have any non alcoholic beer recommendations?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Eod100 wrote: »

Erdinger is a fairly safe bet. A 12 year old told me last week that they really like Heineken Zero. :pac:

Erdinger is a fairly safe bet. A 12 year old told me last week that they really like Heineken Zero. :pac:

Ah yeah am fond of that. Pure Brew is decent. I can see why, inoffensive and bit sweet. Was hoping branch out a bit. Doubt any Irish craft breweries do Nas but any international ones do any?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Brewdog Nanny State isn't too bad it's certainly much better than your average NA Lager. Would prefer NA weissbeers though if I have to stick to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ryath wrote: »
    Brewdog Nanny State isn't too bad it's certainly much better than your average NA Lager.

+1 I think it’s a great NA beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lads, story with Hufi? I know its cheap (and gluten free for what its worth) but what's it like? Not expecting much.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭toffeeshel

penev10 wrote: »
    Shepherd and Neame's Christmas Ale, hunted down the last bottle in SuperValu on the quays yesterday. My favourite ale by a long margin. Only managed to find 3 bottles over the whole of xmas.

13682.thm350.jpg

If anyone spots any more let me know :)

5 bottles in super valu palmerstown today

Between the two of us, augustin grand cru, delirium red, delirium xmas, musketeers troubadour wesrkurst, van steenberge piraat, gulden draak 9000. Back to the hotel to check in and to sleep off the 4am start and charge the batteries for later :D

A creamy headed sweet smooth le garre tripel. Very very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,673 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lads, story with Hufi? I know its cheap (and gluten free for what its worth) but what's it like? Not expecting much.

My wife drinks it as she's GF. I've tasted it, it's okay, not great but okay. If I had to go GF I wouldn't bother with it and just stick to ciders.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Picked up 2 bottles of Brown Bear Double IPA from Aldi earlier. This is a new recipe I think as it is now 7.5% and was previously 6.something%. It's quite nice and good value at around €2.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

M&S Blood Orange Wheat beer. Really nice drop, slightly sweet, touch of bitterness and very drinkable. Would be a great summer beer. Made for them by Adnams.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

51446500_10156120697214290_7301605211070529536_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.flux1-1.fna&oh=c9e97e198d916d623a709a1e66d84a92&oe=5CF519DC

couple of omnipollo beers yesterday. this one (Anniversary Coward) was a typical high ABV omnipollo but definitely in the higher echelon of vague dessert imp souts. Neophyte was a very lovely hazy IPA.

52134216_10156125647359290_8774432814939504640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=bf01c73d702d044d4cccdf82861be119&oe=5CEEDA74
    got a tip by someone saying this compares well with cantillon fou foune
    while that's absolutely not true, it's still a great sour saison & i'm glad there is a brewery in UK doing good sour stuff
    bought from their website but running low on stock on this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I was pouring at a beer festival over here in Manchester last week. On the evil keg filth bar which had stuff from Germany, Belgium and Holland. Also poured on the UK evil keg filth which had some burning sky and it's a long way from the EU lads.

Also dumped my first Kinnegar beer, swingletree on cask. Disgusting.

Kinnegar is such a gamble these days.

Never seen these Burning Sky mixed ferm beers before - looks like the core range is kinda bog standard IPA stuff but this new line is quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had the white hag black pig stout & porterhouse up and at 'em breakfast stout plus the plain porter export, all good with the breakfast stout probably the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,673 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brewdog Clockwork Tangerine. Extremely underwhelming, hardly tasted of anything at all (BB May 19) Not a patch on Modus Mandarina.

Had a Larkins pale ale before that, very meh. Won't be buying either of those again.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Deya - Steady Rolling man. Delicious

Verdant - People do odd things, delicious and more. One of my favourite DIPA's in awhile

In M&S today, decided to see what beers they have over here and was pleasantly surprised.

£7.50 for below

Whats-App-Image-2019-02-10-at-15-30-32.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah I was pouring at a beer festival over here in Manchester last week. On the evil keg filth bar which had stuff from Germany, Belgium and Holland. Also poured on the UK evil keg filth which had some burning sky and it's a long way from the EU lads.

Have you had any of the beers from Little Earth project.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

RasTa wrote: »

Have you had any of the beers from Little Earth project.

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Anyone had the new bourbon barrel-aged Black Boar from The White Hag? Thoughts?

Advertisement