Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Having a Lagunitas IPA. Not bad at all. Made by Heineken.

Bit pricey at €6.50 a pint (in a bar).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Having a Lagunitas IPA. Not bad at all. Made by Heineken.

Bit pricey at €6.50 a pint (in a bar).

If you're ever in Balbriggan the pub down the harbour does it for €4

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Had a can of Trouble Brewing's Voodoo Logic (imperial stout with maple syrup) in the fridge for over a year, and finally opened it at the weekend.

I like imperial stouts and I like maple syrup, but this was horribly, cloyingly, sweet. After three sips it had to be poured down the sink. What a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a can of Trouble Brewing's Voodoo Logic (imperial stout with maple syrup) in the fridge for over a year, and finally opened it at the weekend.

I like imperial stouts and I like maple syrup, but this was horribly, cloyingly, sweet. After three sips it had to be poured down the sink. What a waste of money.

Yeah I thought it was overly sickly sweet too. TB's beers tend to be sweet anyway but this was above and beyond.

Impala in Cork are serving left hand's Nitro stout on draught, and it's delicious.

• Advertisement

The cherry lambec too is very good. I forget the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Impala in Cork are serving left hand's Nitro stout on draught, and it's delicious.

So are The Abbot's Ale House

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Anyone any recommendations for Milan?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

LambicZoon is excellent. Lambrate's pub on Via Adelchi is fun. I also liked Scott Duff and Sloan Square. Some blog stuff.

BeerNut wrote: »
    LambicZoon is excellent. Lambrate's pub on Via Adelchi is fun. I also liked Scott Duff and Sloan Square. Some blog stuff.

Cheers for that, will check those out.

• Advertisement

https://www.sloanesquare.it/

Sampled the following while I was in the above:

Buxton Axe Edge
    Het Uiltje Buddy Beer
    Lervig Lucky Jack
    Marble Beers Ltd Berimbolo
    Marble Beers Ltd I’m only Karaoke-ing
    Northern Monk Patrons Project 9.06/DDH IPA/Ben Mather/Skelatory/DEYA
    Wylam Imperial Macchiato

Seriously impressed by the Wylam & Het Uiltje, Northern Monk was a huge let down very sickly stuff.

Edit: Cheers again to BeerNut for the recommendation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    Lambrate's pub on Via Adelchi is fun. .

+1

They have a crazy method of pouring beer there though. They pour it straight down, let the head foam up, set the glass aside and then repeat the process until they've gotten the beer up to the right level. Gives longer lasting head but can take a while for your beer to be served. Photo below shows what I mean.

birrificio-lambrate-2-700x469.jpg

The pub itself is nice and the beer selection is very good too.

irish_goat wrote: »
    +1

They have a crazy method of pouring beer there though. They pour it straight down, let the head foam up, set the glass aside and then repeat the process until they've gotten the beer up to the right level. Gives longer lasting head but can take a while for your beer to be served. Photo below shows what I mean.

birrificio-lambrate-2-700x469.jpg

The pub itself is nice and the beer selection is very good too.

Obviously a mainland Europe thing as they do the exact same thing in The Hague where I live, a lot of beer is wasted me thinks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

OOnegative wrote: »
    Obviously a mainland Europe thing as they do the exact same thing in The Hague where I live, a lot of beer is wasted me thinks.

Not doubting you, but I've never seen it done anywhere else. Not been to the Hague but have been to a few other Dutch cities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Lambrate method is very different to the Dutch one, in that no beer is wasted: the beer is poured to the top of the glass and let settle, then repeat until servable. Still, it's better than the Canadian method, where the beer is poured to the top of the glass and then served regardless. Plus-size bishop's collar = :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

OOnegative wrote: »
    My first ever job was in a pub and the barmen maintained this was the sign of an amateur.
    But I too have seen this done all I've the continent.

Tonight I'm having a can of Boundary brewing export stout. Noticeably cheaper than other brands, especially considering the staying, 7%.

It was very good. Decent body, was thinner than i had expected and it went down very easy. Nice balance of all the staple stout flavours of chocolate, coffee and toffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Got Yellow Spot in the O'Briens sale.

Gonna pair it with a Boundary Brewing Export Stout and a Boyne Brewhouse sherry / whiskey barrelled aged imperial stout.

Starting with Dot Brewing Back to Black Black IPA and a Buxton Imperial Black IPA.

Don't get out much these days might as well get the good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Not impressed with the Dot Brewing Fade to Black. A bit bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

50 Shades of Bray from Wicklow Wolf. A Black NEIPA. A pretty solid Black IPA but without the bitterness, which I suppose is where the NEIPA part comes in.

Not that Black IPA’s are around a particularly long time, but I do always associate them with being quite bitter, as such I found this one a strange. Still nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Anyone else notice that a lot of ipas seem to be moving from the crisp bitter american style to a much more malty type ipa? Noteable recently for me with oharas ipa, priory ipa and another irish brand i cant recall the name of off the top of my head.

Is this a change I've noticed, or something i havent noticed as i dont tend to drink many of the core irish ipas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OHaras was always more malt forward and really any bitterness in it at all (well compared to American IPA style that you specifically called out).

Malt is cheaper than bittering hops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah the malt isnt my thing at all, if I'm looking for that I'd go red, which i never tend to do!

Had a bit of a milestone age wise(so i was told:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) but in fairness the Boss Lady stepped up with the following:

Lervig - Easy
    North Brewing Co - Coconut IPA
    Gamma Brewing Co - Big Doink
    Alefarm Brewing - Fading Day
    Froontal - North 2018
    Siren Craft Brew -Death By Carribean Chocolate Cake

All serious beers and am seriously warming towards porters/stouts after drinking Siren's Chocolate Cake, lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

bnt wrote: »
    I'm currently staying with friends near Houston TX at the moment, so I'm indulging in some of the local brews. I've had two from Shiner TX: their classic Bock and their Ruby Redbird, the latter being a lager with grapefruit and ginger, though not so much as to make it gimmicky. Both are around 4% ABV. I also tried two seasonal brews from Saint Arnold, from Houston itself: their Summer Pils, which they call a "golden Munich-style Helles" (very nice, 4.9%), and then their Spring Bock. That one has nothing to do with South Africa, and is rather a seriously chewy Bock at 6.9% ABV. Their Fancy Lawnmower Kölsch is one of my all-time favourite summer beers, which I discovered on a previous visit here, but I'm not going to get to it on this visit, nor their White Noise witbier: too many beers, too little time!
    I'm back with those friends again, and first up I've got two Shiner beers again: the Bock - can't really go wrong with that - and their attempt at a "session beer", the Day Quencher @ 4.6% ABV. They talk about a "tropical aroma" on the can: it's a little passion fruit in the finish. I like it but it's not exactly blowing me away. It's a good beer to drink while doing something else. I'll try something else next.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jester King
    Hill Farmstead
    Bellswoods
    Other Half
    Trillum
    Monkish
    Verdant
    Collective arts
    Northern Monk
    Tilquin
    White Hag
    Dugges
    The Bruery
    Green Check
    Duration
    +more

Had a lot of nice beers from above over the weekend. Great festival that almost got cancelled, some emotions I'd say over here this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Bourbon county stout (2017 and 2018)

2017 much more complex and deep flavours but 2018 should age in the same way

Also drank some juice pants IPA (delicious) and Hopslam IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Where do people source their beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I'm in Dublin and I mainly use drink store, mace on South circular road and a Molloy's location

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

If you're in South Dublin the Blackrock Cellar has a great range of beers. Very helpful staff too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sweeney's in Marino (still branded as Lilac Wines), O Brien's and very occasionally Stephen Street News for me.

Advertisement