Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

matrim wrote: »
    Yeah, seemed like a mountain out of a molehill. Technically Two Sisters are probably right because they have a trademark but as soon as Galway Bay were informed of their mistake they renamed it on keg but couldn't recall bottles because they were already distrubited. Which seems fair enough to me.

How do you think GBB would have reacted if someone had brought out a beer called Full Sail? Do you not think they would have demanded it be recalled and re-labelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

How do you think GBB would have reacted if someone had brought out a beer called Full Sail? Do you not think they would have demanded it be recalled and re-labelled?

Would it not be more like if someone brought out a beer called Space Suit or Kompass or one of the other specials? AFAIK the Two Sisters beer has to date only ever had a very limited release but it does look like they are planning a bigger release, hence the trademark.

Yes, it was a f*ck up by galway bay but there were probably only a few hundred bottles out in the wild. If it was the other way around I'd like to think that they would be reasonably about it but TBH I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

matrim wrote: »
    Yes, it was a f*ck up by galway bay but there were probably only a few hundred bottles out in the wild. If it was the other way around I'd like to think that they would be reasonably about it but TBH I don't know.

Well GBB are well established and successful; Two Sisters are just starting and it's their only beer.

If they sat on their hands, they lose the brand. If they didn't (as they haven't) its not a good way of the wider market hearing about your brand.

This has done GBB no harm, but has IMO had a negative effect on a very small start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Well GBB are well established and successful; Two Sisters are just starting and it's their only beer.

If they sat on their hands, they lose the brand. If they didn't (as they haven't) its not a good way of the wider market hearing about your brand.

This has done GBB no harm, but has IMO had a negative effect on a very small start up.

If anything for me it has raised the profile of Two Sisters. I'd almost completely forgotten about them and now remember they had a beer.

I've nothing against them for raising the issue and protecting their brand by asking GBB to change the name. It just seemed that a bigger deal was made about than was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Ratebeer has 28 beers with Brigid in the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

you can't trademark the name Brigid, that's utterly ludicrous. As someone pointed out there are plenty of beers with it in the name and the same goes for most beers out there.
    I'm shocked they changed the name to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    you can't trademark the name Brigid, that's utterly ludicrous. As someone pointed out there are plenty of beers with it in the name and the same goes for most beers out there.

The trademark is for "Brigid's Ale", and it's probably only registered in Ireland. Check the trademarks some people filed for and were refused. Some funny ones in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Aldi will be carrying approx 30 diff craft beers next week, Bo Bristle, Dungarven, Mescan, Rascals and Notorious are a few of what I spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Dot Brews Sout Cherry Apricot Ale this evening. Nice but not a lot of sour cherry to make it a sour Sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Now I'm on bottle 2 of The Grove. I'll feel it tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Uncle_moe wrote: »

And she could have handled the situation much better, blocking potential future customers on Twitter isn't a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

And she could have handled the situation much better, blocking potential future customers on Twitter isn't a great idea

Yeah cause women have such an easy time on twitter........anyway this has gone way off topic.

Back to beers, one beer I haven't been able to drink this week or last is Wrasslers, had hoped to raise one to Oliver's memory after being out of the country when he passed away and it's not been available in either Temple Bar or Nassau Street. Hope it returns soon because the Plain and Oyster just don't hit that same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Had Supernova DIPA by eight degrees, cracking beer. Dank smell of hops and resin and a similar flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Also made an impulse buy of Chimay Grande Reserve. At €30 it better be stunning. Going to keep it for my wedding anniversary later in the week to try.
    Tried it yet, or anybody else for that matter? Thinking of getting a bottle tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A relatively fresh can of Centennial \m/ happy days. Best before April 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

jsa112 wrote: »
    Tried it yet, or anybody else for that matter? Thinking of getting a bottle tomorrow.

No not yet, been sick the last few days so holding off till i can enjoy it properly.

Mescan Westport Kriek, love everything these guys do!

Mescan Westport Kriek, love everything these guys do!

Must pick it up. They are a fantastic brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Trouble East Coat IPA. Stunning beer!

I was looking forward to it after all the positive posts about it here after the beer fest. It didn't disappoint.

Also had Neon Overlord Last night and actually needed a glass of water with it, serious Chilli beer!

• Advertisement

A can of Whiplash. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Bought 2 bottles of Red Earl Ruby Ale in Tesco this evening selling off for €2.50 each.

Poured into pint glass and its flat, dull looking and no fizz at all.

Is this craft beer meant to be like this . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Also had Neon Overlord Last night and actually needed a glass of water with it, serious Chilli beer!

I couldn't finish it. Just way too much for me in a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Bought 2 bottles of Red Earl Ruby Ale in Tesco this evening selling off for €2.50 each.

Poured into pint glass and its flat, dull looking and no fizz at all.

Is this craft beer meant to be like this . ?

There's no defined amount of carbonation for 'craft beer'. It could be a case of a dodgy batch leaving the brewery, a soapy glass messing with head retention or badly capped bottles. Give the batch/serial number on the bottle to Pokertree (the brewery) on twitter (if they have a twitter) to see if it's a known issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Got some to ol beers in hollands today. Sad day as well as they've a closing down sign up in the window. Was the only decent craft off licence in bray :(.

Got some to ol beers in hollands today. Sad day as well as they've a closing down sign up in the window. Was the only decent craft off licence in bray :(.

Really? That's very disappointing if true, always paid a visit when in Bray

Also the Molloy's in Nutgrove is gone and now a very poor O'Briens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

is the pub closing too, or just the offo in Hollands?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is the pub closing too, or just the offo in Hollands?

Just the off licence. The pub and off licence were bought by The Ardmore up the road. They're really only concerned with selling €3.50 pints of fizzy p***. I really liked the food they started in the off licence too :(.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm about to open what I imagine is probably one of the last bottles of Kinnegar Flying Saucer left in the country.

Advertisement