Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I thought the IPA was excellent. There's a really unusual flowery hop flavour. It does a good job of mimicking Brussels Beer Project's Babylone, on which it's based. I haven't tried the pale ale yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

RasTa wrote: »
    This is my tasty beverage atm.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Where can you pick this up?

Quintis wrote: »
    Where can you pick this up?
    Tesco and Sainsburys up north usually have it. I've not seen it in the Republic in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Last of the Texas beers I'm trying on this trip: Karbach Love Street. This is a Kölsch along the same lines as another favourite Houston beer, Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower, so I had to try it despite the silly name. Slightly more hoppy than expected, which is a good thing.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 34,674 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BeerNut wrote: »
    Tesco and Sainsburys up north usually have it. I've not seen it in the Republic in years.

A couple of years ago when it still had the old label, I was able to get it locally - possibly Molloys but probably Dunnes. Haven't seen it since though :(

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Any sightings of Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout in the wild yet? Must be soon time for it.

slayerking wrote: »
    Any sightings of Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout in the wild yet? Must be soon time for it.
    They said they'd have it at the Alltech festival this weekend so it'll be in the pubs in the next day or two, I'm sure.

I've been underwhelmed before with Yellowbelly beers. Against my better judgment I picked up a couple of Citra Pale Ales, Jesus Christ talk about almost entirely lacking in any sort of flavour at all. BB 02/20 so it's not that. Considering pouring it down the sink

Had a Lagunitas 12th of Never earlier which had a really nice sour note to it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My experience is that there are some bloody awful batches of Citra, its usually fine but occasionally you have to wonder how it passed QC. Suspect its why my local shop stopped stocking it; should probably ask seeing as I know the owner somewhat well!

They still stock the lager and also every other Irish craft they have ever stocked that hasn't gone out of business (Arthurstown), so they don't dump things often.

They have QC? :P

I got 2 of these (and an On The Fritz) for €10 but they're only 440mL cans and 4.8%/4.5% respectively, I thought what they lacked in bang per buck would be made up for in flavour! Guinness Citra is miles better than this stuff. I've no idea what the On The Fritz will be like, but expectations are now rock bottom

Never buying anything Yellowbelly again :mad:

• Advertisement

The On The Fritz is better, but still pretty meh, and bad value for money

They should put as much effort into the beer as they do into the labels.

The On The Fritz is better, but still pretty meh, and bad value for money

They should put as much effort into the beer as they do into the labels.

The labelling and brewing appears to be 100% separate, if you believe the label on this one :pac:

https://mitchellandson.com/products/yellowbelly-pauls-on-holiday-maibock-33cl-can

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

A couple of years ago when it still had the old label, I was able to get it locally - possibly Molloys but probably Dunnes. Haven't seen it since though :(

My Tesco used to have it all the time, with the old label. I liked it too. Be interesting to taste it now to see what I thought as I've drank a lot more stuff since then. As said, haven't seen it down here for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

D1aGFT0X4AE17Ug.jpg

Divine Right of kings, collab with Old Chimneys. They left a bit of it in the barrel for another 4 months and it's one of the best imperial stouts I've had in a long long time. No pastry just stout. Buy all the cans if you see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Divine Right of kings, collab with Old Chimneys. They left a bit of it in the barrel for another 4 months and it's one of the best imperial stouts I've had in a long long time. No pastry just stout. Buy all the cans if you see it.

Where did you pick it up? Finished my Christmas collection of stouts and want to get a few more, selection locally is poor my local Tesco and O'Briens have feck all at the minute. I did get a Yeastie Boys Breakfast Club Waffle and Blueberry Breakfast Stout in O'Briens the other day. Enjoyed it maybe a touch too sweet.

Carry Out in does have a few ones. White Gypsy Old Smoke made a nice change. See their pale ales aren't well thought but to my taste Yellowbelly It's not Vodka and colab with Wicklow Wolf, Wolf of Maltstreet were quite decent.

Selection of imperial stouts to me seemed poor to me this year. Off licences seemed to just get one or two cases of a beer in and that was it. May just stock up more when I see them!

RasTa is in Manchester I think.

Ryath wrote: »
    Where did you pick it up? Finished my Christmas collection of stouts and want to get a few more

Yeah I'm in Manchester, I've seen most of the Northern Monk beers making it over to Ireland now but the one I'm in love with is meant to be a webshop and refectory exclusive so who knows. The 10.5% one in the photo is a PP beer so that will make it over

Think Pro-Addition distribute their beers so you could ask them.

Had the Trouble / Dead Centre peach and white chocolate IPA yesterday. Should have had a half, a full pint is a bit of a slog.

Why does every pub over here serve guinness with the super chilled badge? Couldn't find a normal one today although it's rare that I'm looking

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Why does every pub over here serve guinness with the super chilled badge? Couldn't find a normal one today although it's rare that I'm looking

First, where is here? Second from my here (Dublin), I agree. As you head further south/west stout is warmer and (IMO) nicer.

Solution is to head to Cork and drink Murphy's. I am a jack!

• Advertisement

Are Heineken really pushing Beamish now or have I just started going to older audience pubs most of the time?

Never noticed it on taps with the frequency I've seen recently

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

got the alc free IPA in lidl 99c a 330 bottle. "powered by perlenbacher"
    about as nice a alc free beer as ive ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Having a can of the Cloudwater x White Hag collaboration, Cairde Gan Teorainneacha, a Black IPA. Really nice, very Cloudwater.

There are 3 dates on the Can, COD which I assume is the canned on date, FFB ????, and BBE which is obviously the Best Before End date.
    The dates are, 15/02/19, 05/06/19 and 05/07/19 respectively. Anyone know what the FFB is?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

According to Cloudwater, it's "Freshest Flavour Before".

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Reel Deel 'Say Nowt Stout' which I picked up in Aldi. Pleasant, easy-drinking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

L1011 wrote: »
    Are Heineken really pushing Beamish now or have I just started going to older audience pubs most of the time?

Yeah I think they are pushing it recently. There was a Beamish promo night (free pints and merch) recently in O'Sullivans pub in Bray. Have never seen that anywhere before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Tried Yellowbellys new Saison. Wheres Wallonia.. its decent

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Had a can of Beavertown collab Milk Stout called Lust last night, pretty good but pricey like most of their stuff.
    Dot Brewing Straight up IPA was a decent effort. Nice to have a refreshing lemon sherbet flavour instead of a thick orangey soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Had a can of Beavertown collab Milk Stout called Lust last night, pretty good but pricey like most of their stuff.
    Dot Brewing Straight up IPA was a decent effort. Nice to have a refreshing lemon sherbet flavour instead of a thick orangey soup.
    I really liked that Beavertown one with Beak Brewery.

Picked up a few from Dot Brewing too, including the Straight Up IPA, wasn't impressed with them at all, which is surprising because anything I've had from them is usually top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

L1011 wrote: »

Big time, have been for quite a while now. Murphy's very much the poor relation these days and will be dropped at some stage I reckon. IMHO they've also altered the Murphy's recipe several years ago too, making it very bland - would take Beamish over it any day now. Also, strangely enough, myself and several others have noted significant problems with the widgets in cans of Murphy's not working.

Advertisement