Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Big time, have been for quite a while now. Murphy's very much the poor relation these days and will be dropped at some stage I reckon. IMHO they've also altered the Murphy's recipe several years ago too, making it very bland - would take Beamish over it any day now. Also, strangely enough, myself and several others have noted significant problems with the widgets in cans of Murphy's not working.

And can you get murphys widget free? Never got the obsession with the ol nitrogen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Celebrating an anniversary with herself, so naturally I'm watching the Ireland match with a bottle of 200 Fathoms while she watches videos on YouTube. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lovely pint of Larkins stout recently in Bierhaus.

Difficult to find here, but they do sell some of Larkins in Bradley's. Terrific stuff.

Are they popular in Dublin?
    Ye're spoiled for choice up there lads and lassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wouldn't be that common on tap but cans are easily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Had the Lervig 3 bean stout in Underdog last night. Exceptional beer. Very strong smell of nutmeg off it, but it was thick luscious and boozey. Everything you want in an imperial stout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Lovely pint of Larkins stout recently in Bierhaus.

Difficult to find here, but they do sell some of Larkins in Bradley's. Terrific stuff.

Are they popular in Dublin?
    Ye're spoiled for choice up there lads and lassies.

I'm guessing it was the Baltic Porter? Should be available in bottles, may not be year round but ask Bradley's or Abbots Ale House to get it in if you're cork based. Same supplier as Whiplash, DOT Brew, Lervig etc so they'll be dealing with them anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I'm guessing it was the Baltic Porter?

The Baltic porter isn't usually available on draught.

It's the Dark Side Irish Dry Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I don't get to the pub much any more, didn't even know of this beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I don't get to the pub much any more, didn't even know of this beer!

Relatively new I think. Still haven't seen it in the wild myself.
    If it's as good as their other beers it'll be worth the wait though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I had the Dark Matter in Brew Dock, thought it was very nice. According to Untappd, its on in Against the Grain now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭mjp

got the alc free IPA in lidl 99c a 330 bottle. "powered by perlenbacher" about as nice a alc free beer as ive ever had.

Tried a few bottles of these last week as it was all my 40 week pregnant wife would allow. By far the nicest non alcoholic beer I have tried and great price aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Well lads, im off to Vienna for the weekend so looking for suggestions on what to try.. i got some great info when i asked about Brussels and tasted some great beers so more of the same please

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

1516 is great if the smoke doesn't bother you too much. I have a soft spot for 7 Stern too, especially their hemp beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Well lads, im off to Vienna for the weekend so looking for suggestions on what to try..

Here's a review I did on a few spots 2 years ago.
    Just back from Vienna and I'd recommend The Brickmakers. It's run and staffed by a few Irish lads, who also have a sister pub Charlie P's. Over 20 taps including a few casks and a good selection of bottles. They had 2 of their own gypsy brewed beers on tap, a sessionable APA and a lovely nitro oatmeal stout. Also a few local craft beers as well as international options like Beavertown, Thornbridge and Sierra Nevada. No Irish beer but I'm told O'Hara's normally features on the menu.

Service from the staff was great, lots of tasters given out as well as advice on other craft beer spots. As we were leaving our entire party was given a free bottle to have on the train as well. Very nice gesture as it included a few imperial IPAs and a barley wine that weren't cheap. Prices are a bit steeper than a standard pint in other bars but they had Gold Fassl lager for €3.90 and their gypsy brews were €4.90 a pint. Coffee served here was also very nice.

Other spots we found:

Bermuda Brau - Brewpub with a few craft offerings including a nice Session IPA.
    Beer Steet (Straid na Beoir) - Very large bar with over 50 taps but it was completely dead when we there. Wouldn't recommend unless it was busy.
    Mel's Craft Beer Bar - Big selection of taps and bottles including several O'Haras. Felt more like a restaurant and staff weren't very interested in chatting beer.
    7Stern brewpub - Traditional brewpub with a nice smoked porter and decent grub.
    1516 Brewing Company - Large brewpub with a decent crowd in the evening. Upstairs has a quieter bar that we sat in(less smoky up there too). Their own beers were decent enough but the standout was a pint of Victory Hop Devil that they contract brew. Really fresh, raw hop quality to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well lads, im off to Vienna for the weekend so looking for suggestions on what to try.. i got some great info when i asked about Brussels and tasted some great beers so more of the same please

Mels in the first district has a pretty good selection of craft beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Things are going to get a lot cheaper over here.

D20LN7CWoAAh8Jv?format=jpg&name=large

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rumours floating around about Magic Rock selling up. Keep your receipt so you can return it if it becomes macro beer while in your fridge :p

Edit: Confirmed this afternoon. Magic Rock has been acquired by Aussie macro Lion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is what they are getting in. Most expensive will be £3 a can excluding the brewdog stuff, not sure on that price

D20HNmsWoAAJWSD?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

mjp wrote: »
    Tried a few bottles of these last week as it was all my 40 week pregnant wife would allow. By far the nicest non alcoholic beer I have tried and great price aswell.

+1 I'm very impressed with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I was in Florida recently and had a fair few pints of a beer called Jai Alai IPA by a brewery called Cigar City. Can it be bought in any off-licence in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

About to crack open a bottle of Guinness Pilsner. Havnt tried it yet but like the other open gate ranges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I was in Florida recently and had a fair few pints of a beer called Jai Alai IPA by a brewery called Cigar City. Can it be bought in any off-licence in Ireland?

Cigar City did a collaboration with Galway Bay but I don't think their beers have been released over here

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

This is the closest you'll get to it

https://twitter.com/bradleys_offlic/status/1055779020795731974

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I had The four provinces Amber Ale on draught last week. Really tasty.
    Was in my local last night and had a bottle of The four provinces IPA...It was gorgeous. It was so crisp and had a savage flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I got a few beers from the Mescan brewery in Westport. They do Belgian style wheat beers. The red and the blonde are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

MadYaker wrote: »
    I got a few beers from the Mescan brewery in Westport. They do Belgian style wheat beers. The red and the blonde are lovely.

Love the Red Triple

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I am now pissed. I’m having a limited edition Belgian dubbel from Boyne Brewhouse that a barman friend of mine just handed me 8% and delicious heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

MadYaker wrote: »
    I am now pissed. I’m having a limited edition Belgian dubbel from Boyne Brewhouse that a barman friend of mine just handed me 8% and delicious heavy

Your keyboard skills or your spellchecker are still good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Has anyone tried the cans of Native IPA in Aldi? Brewed by Lough Gill in Sligo. Was in there too early to buy one today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jh79 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the cans of Native IPA in Aldi? Brewed by Lough Gill in Sligo. Was in there too early to buy one today.

Had one yesterday. The bitterness is very pronounced, and could do with the addition of more hops. Reminded of a good homebrew beer. It did enjoy it though.

Advertisement