Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This weekend was fairly quiet, but I still made time for a couple of DIPAs.

Rye River - 5 Finger DIPA - big, ballsy description on the side of the can says "Smooth, Juicy, Crushable West Coast style DDH DIPA. Hops have saturated this beer to bring a smooth drinking hop-oil fuelled brew. This beer is what we want to drink for our 5thBirthday!" To be fair, I agree with them. Absolutely gorgeous straight out of the fridge.

Galway Bay - Sans Juice - West Coast DIPA
    Slightly stronger, took longer to finish, but still a quality beer. Pretty sure I had it on draft at some stage last year. Will have to pick up another can before the local offie sells out.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

This weekend was fairly quiet, but I still made time for a couple of DIPAs.

Rye River - 5 Finger DIPA - big, ballsy description on the side of the can says "Smooth, Juicy, Crushable West Coast style DDH DIPA. Hops have saturated this beer to bring a smooth drinking hop-oil fuelled brew. This beer is what we want to drink for our 5thBirthday!" To be fair, I agree with them. Absolutely gorgeous straight out of the fridge.

Galway Bay - Sans Juice - West Coast DIPA
    Slightly stronger, took longer to finish, but still a quality beer. Pretty sure I had it on draft at some stage last year. Will have to pick up another can before the local offie sells out.

Martins Off-Licence in Fairview have an offer on the Rye River DIPA at the minute. 4 for 10e or a case of 24 for 55e.
    Apparently they've a lot of short dated stock left so they're trying to shift it.
    A few of us have ordered a case between us. Can't go wrong really. I paid 5.30e for one can of it a few weeks back.

https://twitter.com/martinsfairview/status/1111305229876817921

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I was in Florida recently and had a fair few pints of a beer called Jai Alai IPA by a brewery called Cigar City. Can it be bought in any off-licence in Ireland?

Cigar City, Oskar Blues, Squatters/Wasatch (2nd biggest brewery in Utah) along with a couple of others have come together under the CANarchy moniker to expand distribution. It's only a matter of time before we see them here.

https://www.canarchy.beer

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Just read Bloody 'Ell has been reformulated and will only be 5.5% as opposed to 7.2% from now on. Apparently even more orangey as well, like that's a good thing. I wonder if that means syrup added to the mixture. In any case looks like a sign of things to come from beavertown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Petrus passionfruit sour in Bierhaus, Cork is effing awesome.
    Buxton/Lervig Troltunga sour pretty fab, too - Abbot's Ale House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Entonces

Can anyone recommend an offy in limerick with a decent selection of these tasty brews please?

Entonces wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an offy in limerick with a decent selection of these tasty brews please?

There isn't a huge amount to choose from but the best for eclectic/obscure beers would be Number 21 in Greenpark Shopping Centre.
    They also have reasonable selection of Belgian brews.

After that you're looking at O'Briens at the Parkway Shopping Centre. They cover all the big brands with an odd obscure beer from time
    to time with a lot of of 4 for X and 3 for X offers.

The 2 Supervalus (Corbally & Castletroy) both have an ok selection at times as does the Centra in Raheen.
    These are both owned by Musgraves so they tend to be a bit safe and samey but I have picked up Delirium Tremens
    in Centra a few times and they stock some of the core Yellowbelly range on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Just laid my hands on a few bottles of Milk Stout Nitro and O Brother’s Bonita for the weekend.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Number 21 in Greenpark Shopping Centre.

After that you're looking at O'Briens at the Parkway Shopping Centre.

The 2 Supervalus (Corbally & Castletroy) both have an ok selection at times as does the Centra in Raheen.

Just adding Fine Wines on Catherine/Roche's Street to this list. They usually get in some good stuff that other FWs don't bother with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

OOnegative wrote: »
    Just laid my hands on a few bottles of Milk Stout Nitro and O Brother’s Bonita for the weekend.

Is there a widget in the bottle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Picked these up on Saturday in a 3 for €10 deal. Local brewery around our part of Dublin. Have had the one on the right a good few times as pints in a bar and its nice but for the size of the cans and the prices it was a bit on the steep side in off license

20190330-191845.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No idea to be honest with you.

Just adding Fine Wines on Catherine/Roche's Street to this list. They usually get in some good stuff that other FWs don't bother with.

I must swing by there.
    Cheers for that ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Pour Hard from the bottle... i think their cans have widgets...

http://lefthandbrewing.com/about/nitro/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Anyone know if it is possible to get kingfisher Indian lager in Dublin?? Have seen a tiny bottle of it in Lidl, in a selection box with few other beers. But price was too big and quantities too low.
    I travelled round India and cheapest place for beer was an island off north west coast called Diu. A big bottle of Kingfisher cost less the equivalent of about 60cents there. And it is a fantastic lager.

Red Stripe is another nice lager I have found it difficult to find in Dublin. The 1 time I did see it, and it was recently, in a Spar shop, was €2 per small bottle, which was a bit too pricey.
    Anyone seen Red Stripe in cans around Dublin??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pretty sure I've seen Kingfisher in SuperValu. Redmond's of Ranelagh usually has Red Stripe bottles, though for more than €2 I'm sure. I've never seen it canned here.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've seen Kingfisher in SuperValu. Redmond's of Ranelagh usually has Red Stripe bottles, though for more than €2 I'm sure. I've never seen it canned here.

Thanks.
    The red stripe I saw recently was €2 for a 33cl bottle. As much as I wanted to drink it, I had to draw the line at that price.
    I have never seen big bottles of kingfisher in Dublin, or even small bottles apart from the Lidl beers if the world taster.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Entonces

Thanks overthebridge
    I popped into number 21 and got a great craft beer education from the chap there.
    Picked up a mouth watering selection of IPAs, sour beers, a Rodenbach red ale and a coffee and coconut porter. Spent a nice few quid but can't wait to try them all. Roll on the weekend!

]

Martins Off-Licence in Fairview have an offer on the Rye River DIPA at the minute. 4 for 10e or a case of 24 for 55e.
    Apparently they've a lot of short dated stock left so they're trying to shift it.
    A few of us have ordered a case between us. Can't go wrong really. I paid 5.30e for one can of it a few weeks back.

https://twitter.com/martinsfairview/status/1111305229876817921

The case arrived yesterday, fairly fast delivery too. I tried one of them last night and it's absolutely fine. No difference that I can taste anyway.
    The BBD is 5/19 which isn't bad.

Happy days !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Seems I lucked out today as I was given a fresh box with BBD 9/19:D

Edit : there is 2 BBD ... Seems odd. brewed November 18 on the label so it's probably all the same batch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ianob7 wrote: »
    Seems I lucked out today as I was given a fresh box with BBD 9/19:D

Edit : there is 2 BBD ... Seems odd. brewed November 18 on the label so it's probably all the same batch

At some stage recently RR decided all their RR branded beer would get 6 month best before dates. Probably happened half way through packaging. But it was all brewed around the same time in November.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're an odd brewery. Pete Brown wrote in one of his books about beer that if Willy Wonka made beer his name would be Samuel Smith.

The owner seems to be a right piece of work. Swearing. The bridge. Short measures. Pensions.

Mobile phones now the latest target for Mr Smith. https://inews.co.uk/news/samuel-smith-pubs-introduce-ban-on-mobile-phones/

Reminds me of the Hi-B pub in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Dead Centre Marooned and Moondust.
    Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In London. Have maybe 3 hours to kill. There's a taproom down the road (Mother Kellys Vauxhall) or a Samuel Smiths 1km away.

Decisions decisions... Not staying in the pub I found first as it's £6 a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Went to the taproom. Had a White Hag collab on the taps. Now back to my hotel to get my ticket and off to the stadium

Got some of the Czech beer Staropramen. Haven’t started it yet. Is it nice??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's a fairly normal lager. I like it. I'm drinking McGargles Rosie's Pale Ale, nice enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Awful stuff.

On a Larkin's Outlier IPA, delightful, as is everything I've had from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Having a labour of love by grafters (rye river) and it is very nice have their working day ipa in the fridge to try next.

Advertisement