Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

jh79 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the cans of Native IPA in Aldi? Brewed by Lough Gill in Sligo. Was in there too early to buy one today.

I've tried a few on two occasions and really like it. It's bitter with a toffee / coffee type after taste which reminds me more of a UK bitter style IPA than an American style grapefruity IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Had lunch in Lock 13 in Sallins today. They have their own little brewery producing a brand called something like Kildare Brew. Had a few pints of their lager and it was delicious. Much nicer than most crafts ive tasted. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Keeping it simple, lagunitas ipa this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Few cans of Kee’s Caramel Fudge Stout for sipping this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Awful stuff.

On a Larkin's Outlier IPA, delightful, as is everything I've had from them.

Not great alright. Won’t be able to drink any more than 3 of them.
    The big bottle was more impressive than the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In a Samuel Smiths now and the bar woman is on her phone so that ban isn't that enforced. Having the bitter and will try a few of the other options as my flights not for 7 hours and from City

Fierce Very Berry Sour is the most succinctly accurately named beer I've had in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 34,674 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got some of the Czech beer Staropramen. Haven’t started it yet. Is it nice??

The Czech brewed stuff is nice.

If it says brewed in the UK on the label, you might as well pour it down the sink.

In my local Dunnes the 500mL bottles are Czech brewed, the 660 bottles are UK.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

'Sham Maths' American amber by Dead Centre Brewing. I like the American amber style, and this is a decent Irish take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

MadYaker wrote: »
    I got a few beers from the Mescan brewery in Westport. They do Belgian style wheat beers. The red and the blonde are lovely.
    Galway Bay - Sans Juice - West Coast DIPA
    Slightly stronger, took longer to finish, but still a quality beer. Pretty sure I had it on draft at some stage last year. Will have to pick up another can before the local offie sells out.

MadYaker wrote: »
    It's a fairly normal lager. I like it. I'm drinking McGargles Rosie's Pale Ale, nice enough.
    Having a labour of love by grafters (rye river) and it is very nice have their working day ipa in the fridge to try next.

Many using Untappd?

I gave Working day 3.5/5
    Rosies 2.75
    Sans Juice 3.75
    Mescan Blonde comes in at 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Picked up a couple on non alcoholic IPAs in Lidl, must be new to the range. They're a euro for a 330ml bottle. You really can't compare it to a proper IPA but it's actually a very nice drink in it's own right. This surprised me and I'll buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Modous Hoperandi, SN Torpedo, Boundary IPA and Buxton West Coast IPA (Canned Feb19).

Also got my hands on GBB 2019 Harmonic Convergance, Dividing Bell and 200 Fathoms! First time i missed a 200F release so delighted to get one so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Modous Hoperandi, SN Torpedo, Boundary IPA and Buxton West Coast IPA (Canned Feb19).

Also got my hands on GBB 2019 Harmonic Convergance, Dividing Bell and 200 Fathoms! First time i missed a 200F release so delighted to get one so late.

Where did you come by the diving bell?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

20 bottles of bud only 15euro in Aldi this weekend.
    Nice tasting consistent beer.
    No more ipa's everyone of them gives you a hangover next i

Where did you come by the diving bell?

From GBB themselves, they have a secret stash for regulars. The one i got was also aged in a sherry cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Has anyone tried the cans of Native IPA in Aldi? Brewed by Lough Gill in Sligo. Was in there too early to buy one today.

Had one tonight. Seriously thought it was off. Went down the sink

Thought it was ok. Won't be getting it again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Did the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

In Edinburgh and stopped into the brewdog bar to try the anarchist alchemist. It's very boozy but manages the 16% really well. Loads of malt and some bitterness. Has a big blood orange and grapefruit kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Wicked Weed Brewing Astronomical Hazy IPA x2, distinctive grapefruit taste which to my taste was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Was out in the rascals brewery/pub yesterday and had lots of nice beers and pizza. Standouts were their nine ipa and the brown ale. Interesting one was their white chocolate/chili ipa which i quite liked. Also their toast beer was not toasty which was disappointing but was solid enough overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Was in a shop yesterday and noticed that the familiar green cans of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale now have 'draught style' written on them, and the ABV has been reduced to 5% from 5.6%.

I haven't tried these new cans but tinkering with such a classic beer seems like a strange thing to do. Anyone tried them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

tinkering with such a classic beer seems like a strange thing to do.
    The draught version has always been 5% ABV, so the tinkering isn't new, just the availability of that version in small-pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Resilience IPA by Sierra Nevada - nicest IPA I've had in a while. Very reminiscent of old style west coast IPAs. Worth trying if that's your thing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Resilience IPA by Sierra Nevada - nicest IPA I've had in a while. Very reminiscent of old style west coast IPAs. Worth trying if that's your thing.

Tasty beer, and brewed for a good cause. Impressive how many breweries got on board with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Uncle_moe wrote: »

Yeah nice beer alright, although any stock lying around would be getting a bit dated at this stage given that it was brewed to raise funds for the wildfire in California last year. It was brewed back in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

For the night that’s in it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah nice beer alright, although any stock lying around would be getting a bit dated at this stage given that it was brewed to raise funds for the wildfire in California last year. It was brewed back in November.

Fair point. Might grab a few more while they're still good. The one I had didn't seem to have suffered too much with age but I didn't drink it when it came out so nothing to compare to.

Persistence Brewing Dublin IPA. Has an address on the font head but Google suggests it's contract brewed elsewhere?

BeerNut will know, I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Google suggests it's contract brewed elsewhere?
    At JJ's. There's a list here for these sorts of questions.

Advertisement