Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Thornbridge Green Mountain session IPA. Absolutely lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bought a 4 pack of the Toast IPA, made with not-actually-stale-but-would-be-if-kept-on-sale (from what I can tell) bread as a grain source, in Dunnes

Its drinkable but not fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Even more Death on cask. 12% Evil twin and Northern Monk collab. Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Off to Leeds and York at the weekend - anyone any recommendations?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The York Tap in York railway station is great. In Leeds, Whitelocks is a lovely trad pub and the Northern Monk Refectory is worth the slight trek out of the city centre.

• Advertisement

The original Brewdog in Leeds is nice aesthetically, wedged in to a small space at the edge of an old markets (I think - I could just google to check...) but closes very early as no need for a late licence. There now appears to be a second one, never been to it and I won't be back before you (two weeks)!

Little leeds beerhouse is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

In Dead Centre Brewing.
    Had a Porterhouse Plain
    Now onto Dead Centre Seeking Sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Eight Degrees Yellow Ball - terrible, diacetyl overpowers everything else. In the last year I've had diacetyl bombs from 8 Degrees, Kinnegar, Yellowbelly & Trouble. Apart from Whiplash the micro brews in this country have taken steps backwards and the main culprit is terrible QC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

snowblind wrote: »
    Eight Degrees Yellow Ball - terrible, diacetyl overpowers everything else. In the last year I've had diacetyl bombs from 8 Degrees, Kinnegar, Yellowbelly & Trouble. Apart from Whiplash the micro brews in this country have taken steps backwards and the main culprit is terrible QC

I really didn’t like it either. I didn’t get any diacetyl though. I just thought it was a fizzy twangy bitter lager, with not much much in the way of hop or malt flavours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

12 Acres Hazy IPA, really nice, fruity, bitterness, and super drinkable. Really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I really didn’t like it either. I didn’t get any diacetyl though. I just thought it was a fizzy twangy bitter lager, with not much much in the way of hop or malt flavours.

It wasn't full on diacetyl, more "kinnegar big bunny 2018" than "those Trouble Ambush cans". Still a drainpour tho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Zaph wrote: »
    Has it aged well? I still have a couple of bottles of it myself that I should crack open sometime soon.

Just had my aforementioned 2017 bottle. Aged well enough in all fairness, i would say it was missing a little sweetness if i had to highlight anything. Still tops though.

Found my local selling 8degrees blowhard for €4 and Brooklyns black choc stout for €4.2 so i will be taking full advantage of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

12 Acres Hazy IPA, really nice, fruity, bitterness, and super drinkable. Really impressed.

It's interesting how tastes vary. I had this (from a can) at the weekend and didn't detect any hoppy fruitiness from it. Personally I didn't really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

May have sad it before, but
    Kinnegar have a winner in Olan's Tart... perfect on a sunny evening

It's going to be a beer and ice cream weekend over in Manchester, omnipollo are over so a few other places are doing it too. It's also a bank holiday

D7Vv5rfWkAAa0Es?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 34,674 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Let me guess, that ones £30? :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

In the second Brewdog in Leeds having their 0.5% stout which is only a tiny bit thin bodied to reveal/indicate that it is that low alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just opened a can of Kinnegars Barrel Hunter.. Nothing special overall

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Spent the afternoon in Dead Center in Athlone yesterday. My stand out beer was a Brett saison from Wide Street Brewing in Ballymahon...a fantastic beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Sans Juice was surprisingly good. Maybe one of my favourites this year. Buxton clawtrack IPA on the other hand was pretty bland and a tad thin, which I really didn't expect at 6.4%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

Sierra Nevada Teopical IPA just now, and onto a Founders Centennial IPA next.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Dexter2019 wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Teopical IPA.

Any use?

Any use?

Lovely.

Brewdog 5am Saint Amerivan Red Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Frau Gruber - Green is Lord
    Frau Gruber - Pleased to meet You
    Mikkeller - Windy Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Dexter2019 wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Teopical IPA.

Any use?

If it’s the Tropical Torpedo, I think it’s a good beer but not very tropical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Oskar Blues Brewery - G’Knight & Can-O-Bliss Tropical
    Belching Beaver Brewery - Phantom Bride IPA
    Left Coast Brewing Co - Orange County IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Sam Adams this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

got some beer in Lidl on monday Steam "german craft beer"
    500ml can 4 for 6. 3 variety
    german red ale 7.9% .........Tramps piss ... thrown down sink
    imperial stout 7.8%.........dark tramp piss... thrown in sink
    imperial ipa.... 7.8%....average not bitter at all. but wont buy any more . overall very poor outing

Advertisement