Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

got some beer in Lidl on monday Steam "german craft beer"
    500ml can 4 for 6. 3 variety
    german red ale 7.9% .........Tramps piss ... thrown down sink
    imperial stout 7.8%.........dark tramp piss... thrown in sink
    imperial ipa.... 7.8%....average not bitter at all. but wont buy any more . overall very poor outing

I went in to get some of these yesterday and they were all gone.... blessing in disguise it seems! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

got some beer in Lidl on monday Steam "german craft beer"
    500ml can 4 for 6. 3 variety
    german red ale 7.9% .........Tramps piss ... thrown down sink
    imperial stout 7.8%.........dark tramp piss... thrown in sink
    imperial ipa.... 7.8%....average not bitter at all. but wont buy any more . overall very poor outing

Seems to be a large brewer, or Lidl contracting with a large brewer, to take advantage of the growth in so-called "craft" beer.

How anybody could sell a 7.9% beer in a 50cl can...............

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    Seems to be a large brewer, or Lidl contracting with a large brewer, to take advantage of the growth in so-called "craft" beer.
    Yep, it's Eichbaum. They do other stuff for Lidl too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Popped around to Lidl to get the six Belgian beers for 15 quid (and got the last two boxes) and also picked up several four packs of gulden draak 9000 at four for 8.99 euro, huge value there for an excellent beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

My old friend Blacks KPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

How anybody could sell a 7.9% beer in a 50cl can...............[/QUOTE

. the red is extremely bad 2/10 stuff .. the stout is the same with some roasted malts 3/10. the imp ipa a tad better 5.5/10 but still terrible compared to say crafty range in the same shop..strong but bad and fancy cans .. bad return on $$ no matter how small

How anybody could sell a 7.9% beer in a 50cl can...............[/QUOTE

. the red is extremely bad 2/10 stuff .. the stout is the same with some roasted malts 3/10. the imp ipa a tad better 5.5/10 but still terrible compared to say crafty range in the same shop..strong but bad and fancy cans .. bad return on $$ no matter how small

Yes.

I bought the Gulden Draak instead, just about to open one.

I also bought Marston's Pedigree 50cl, 4 for 6 euro, lovely beer, great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

Two amazing beers.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Popped around to Lidl and picked up several four packs of gulden draak 9000 at four for 8.99 euro, huge value there for an excellent beer.

Just finished first Gulden Draak, you don't taste the 10.5%.

I'd say the wife will hear it though, I'll probably be snoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,674 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Geuze wrote: »
    How anybody could sell a 7.9% beer in a 50cl can...............

Bavaria do an 8.6% in a 500mL can. That's not an endorsement btw - just sayin' :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

Two amazing beers.

Where did you get them? Must stock up this time. I never seem to have enough though!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you're anywhere near Molloys in Clonsilla they have some CBS in stock.

Ryath wrote: »
    Where did you get them? Must stock up this time. I never seem to have enough though!

Pettitts SuperValu in Wexford town. Great selection of beers in there.

Yeti Imperial Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Centennial IPA 4 for €10 dated in Feb 19

Nom nom nom

Chocolate Cherry Yeti Imperial Stout.

Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Had a can of Ballymahon newbies Wide Street Brewing's Bret Saison hopped with East Kent golding yesterday. Absolutely top class stuff. Lovely young brew flavours play really well with the dry peppery belle saison yeast. Hops give a pleasant low-key bitterness a grassy piney contrast to the young Bret fruitiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Had a can of Ballymahon newbies Wide Street Brewing's Bret Saison hopped with East Kent golding yesterday. Absolutely top class stuff. Lovely young brew flavours play really well with the dry peppery belle saison yeast. Hops give a pleasant low-key bitterness a grassy piney contrast to the young Bret fruitiness.

Went to school with the lad behind Wide Street, absolute gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Had St Mels Proliferation Swartzbier 2 nights ago must. Thought it was rather nice change from the usual pale ales most Irish breweries do. Pours nearly as dark as a stout. Smokey and tastes very full bodied for a beer that's just 4.8%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Where is it available?

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    Where is it available?

Was available in Dead Center in Athlone per some posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Was available in Dead Center in Athlone per some posts back.

Dead Centre have it... but its starting to roll out around the country... Carry Out in Tullamore will have it tomorrow (Weds)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Had the Wide Street Saison tonight, I enjoyed it. Real funky nose on it, similar characteristics you'd get off a Normandy cider. Noticeably hopped for a saison. They put up a list of stockists on their Twitter page https://twitter.com/WideStreetBrew/status/1139226758165794816?s=09

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cracked open my Kinnegar Three Bagger Belgian Tripel. Bought back in Nov17 and tasting very nice. Not as much yeast character as the Belgians but less of the sugary dryness too. Lovely malt character behind it.

https://untappd.com/b/de-moersleutel-willy-tonka-4/2919949

Delicious stuff, vanilla & chocolate strongly evident in the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just opened a bottle of Brut IPA from Sierra Nevada.. It's not bad overall and the dryness is definitely noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Supping a Brooklyn hand and seal stout from 2014 which got produced today for father's Day. Simply sublime

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Gulden Draak 9000, 4 for 8:99 in Lidl. A steal for a good solid beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Gulden Draak 9000, 4 for 8:99 in Lidl. A steal for a good solid beer.

That's a great price, I'll be checking in my local lidl later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    That's a great price, I'll be checking in my local lidl later!

They had it in a few weeks ago for their "beer festival"

There was loads of it left in the LIDL in Lucan on Ballyowen today.

I am sure there could be a lot of it left in some of the other Lidls around the place.

Advertisement