Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Larkin's Live Till You Die.

****s on every other hop forward beer ever brewed in Ireland from a height.

Dear lord it's spectacular.
    Too much alcohol burn for me unfortunately, still pretty good.

Had to check my notes for my favourite, it's Do You Wanna Touch Me by Whiplash, or Shades of Marble by the same. Both on the same level as the best of the best international of the style I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

snowblind wrote: »
    Too much alcohol burn for me unfortunately, still pretty good.

Had to check my notes for my favourite, it's Do You Wanna Touch Me by Whiplash, or Shades of Marble by the same. Both on the same level as the best of the best international of the style I've had.

I didn't get a huge alcohol burn from it, I have to say, though I did struggle to see what elevated it above a good double ipa. Not really sure what the extra couple of percent brought to the table from a flavour standpoint.

Talked to the brewer about it at naas craft beer fair in June and he said he wanted people to taste it and be shocked at the alcohol volume when they knew it.... I guess he meant absence of alcohol burn, rather than absence of depth or complexity, but I felt it was lacking in the good and bad in that regard ( for a 10%er, that is).

Still a great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Whiplash “Eventually” Double IPA.

Fantastic citrus tasting IPA, feckin gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed a can of Stiegl Grapefruit Radler yesterday, like a beery Lilt, great thirst quencher.

Where did you get it? I saw it on the Channel 4 Sunday morning foodie show and it got rave reviews.
    Joyce's, Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,676 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Please , please , please make more dry ciders, the sweet stuff is for kids.

Stonewell do (or did) a nice dry cider, but can only find their medium dry one these days, and it's expensive. Will check this one out - the OH is gluten free so can't drink most beers, likes a dry cider but has a hard time finding something decent i.e. not syrup

Funny how years ago Strongbow etc. were all marketed as dry ciders (I wasn't old enough to drink for most of the 80s!), the success of Bulmers/Magners seems to have dragged up the sugar level of everything else. I liked Bulmers in the early 90s, could barely stomach it now, whether that's my tastes changing or the sugar level having gone up even more, I'm not sure.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Way too many sweet cans of pish ciders on the Irish market. I wish someone in Clonmel would take their head out of the treacle and look around and see there are loads of thirsty dry ciders drinkers, begging and panting like Labradors for some decent yellow dry cider, you know what I am talking about.

Scrumpy Jack gets harder and harder to get your hands on. The Wetherspoons pubs do Thatchers , which is dry but hardly memorable. There are some nice craft ones available.

I have been know to buy the Tesco 2 litres. This can be infrequently dry, however I suspect it is an unbranded main street brand, not great but doable. I would definately use it if I was having a gallon of Snakebites.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,676 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrumpy Jack!!! Used to be the lowest of the low, now we'd regard it as the nearest thing to proper cider in the mass market!

These days they just ferment syrup for the alcohol (or maybe even whey etc. alcohol) then throw in whatever dregs are available from an apple juice press to add whatever 'flavour' is present. Throw in some bright yellow or orange colouring and you're done.

Druids for instance, 20 years ago was admittedly cheap yes and a bit rough, but it was a dry cider, low in colour. Now it's this sweet bright orange near-syrupy stuff.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Stonewell do (or did) a nice dry cider, but can only find their medium dry one these days, and it's expensive. Will check this one out - the OH is gluten free so can't drink most beers, likes a dry cider but has a hard time finding something decent i.e. not syrup

Funny how years ago Strongbow etc. were all marketed as dry ciders (I wasn't old enough to drink for most of the 80s!), the success of Bulmers/Magners seems to have dragged up the sugar level of everything else. I liked Bulmers in the early 90s, could barely stomach it now, whether that's my tastes changing or the sugar level having gone up even more, I'm not sure.

Stonewell Dry still available, not as popular as the medium but should be available in most decent off-licences. Look for French ciders too in large bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

LIDL have - or at least had - a dry cider in their ‘Crafty Brewing Company’ range, brewed by Rye River from Co. Kildare.

If you see it on shelf it's worth a try.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

odyssey06 wrote: »
    LIDL have - or at least had - a dry cider in their ‘Crafty Brewing Company’ range
    They don't. They have one with the word "Dry" on the label but it's not a dry cider. Same goes for pretty much all Irish ciders with Dry in the name.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    brewed by Rye River from Co. Kildare.
    Rye River only does the beers. The Crafty ciders are from Armagh Cider Company in Portadown.

• Advertisement

Stigbergets Endless Summer Ale, cracking pale ale, hits of orange and a hoppy kick too. Thoroughly enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Had a few cans of Straight Up IPA from Dot Brewing last night.. Very nice IPA with a nice fruity punch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

RasTa wrote: »
    Big fan of this lemon radler by estrella over here in Barcelona atm. Normal Estrella also lovely

It always tastes better in Barcelona for some reason!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Been drinking mostly Dublin red ale. Was in aldi today and the crafty brewing company Irish Lager, anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its fine. All the Crafty stuff (which is Lidl, not Aldi, presuming you got the store wrong) is Rye River and similar to (though they insist not the same as; and often its a different ABV anyway) the McGargles of the same style

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

L1011 wrote: »
    Its fine. All the Crafty stuff (which is Lidl, not Aldi, presuming you got the store wrong) is Rye River and similar to (though they insist not the same as; and often its a different ABV anyway) the McGargles of the same style

Cheers, It was indeed Lidl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is going into Tesco UK next Monday.

67618409_10217877054570978_1942301463858380800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQkfdLDdnYwRVBTC40FOJTr_ij3omjTntzYyCBStYh-CNnuUlLuf1diDgFuJes6P5s8&_nc_ht=z-p3-scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=2e854371674f6c2cd3d397e77810726d&oe=5DD16154

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

RasTa wrote: »
    This is going into Tesco UK next Monday.

67618409_10217877054570978_1942301463858380800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQkfdLDdnYwRVBTC40FOJTr_ij3omjTntzYyCBStYh-CNnuUlLuf1diDgFuJes6P5s8&_nc_ht=z-p3-scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=2e854371674f6c2cd3d397e77810726d&oe=5DD16154

It's ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Heady Topper.

8/10.

20iuofk.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I am looking forward to a glass of that gas bobby.

I am a Larkins Junckie nyself , I cannot sing say or add any more praise for it.

Chill Meantain Abu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Heading to Boston soon. Any recommendations for places to go or brewerys / beers you don't get over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

matrim wrote: »
    Heading to Boston soon. Any recommendations for places to go or brewerys / beers you don't get over here?

Trillium Brewing is pretty good - https://goo.gl/maps/Hc8ZCxnmtY3r6kwF8

Also if you're near Fenway any of the days - http://cheekymonkeyboston.com is a good spot.

I'm sure there are others too but these spring to mind from my last trip there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Hallucination by Tanker Brewery, a delicious hoppy Indian Pale Lager..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In Westport at the weekend; had a couple of pints (Possibly the last ever) of West Mayo's Clifford Connaught Champion and some Reel Deel's Mayo Red, which is a fab sessioner. Mescan's Westport Ale was on tap. Alas the keg was dry when I was in the bar but their bottles are very plentiful in the town, on and off sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had quite a weird one last night, Mikkeller - Spontan Carrot

A Sour Ale brewed with Carrots & Aged in Oak Barrels. Bright luminous opaque orange with no head or lacing. Super sour with a highly carbonated fizzy zing. Slight woody dryness. Background savoury note of what’s probably the carrot element.

A very strong sour beer that’s quite distinctive and very full on. Interesting but it wouldn't be at the top of my go to list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In Westport at the weekend; had a couple of pints (Possibly the last ever) of West Mayo's Clifford Connaught Champion and some Reel Deel's Mayo Red, which is a fab sessioner. Mescan's Westport Ale was on tap. Alas the keg was dry when I was in the bar but their bottles are very plentiful in the town, on and off sale.

Where'd you find this?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Wide Street Brewing Brett Pale Ale

I got on this due to praise I've heard. What the hell, there's practically no carb at all. Tastes like a glass of water that has had a sweaty sock in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Green&Red wrote: »
    Where'd you find this?

I had it in McGings of Westport but be quick; they have the last of the filled kegs and there's no bottles left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Heading to Galway on monday lads, any good spots for a few?

• Advertisement

Caribou in Woodquay. Tigh Neachtain on the corner of Cross st and Quay st have a few taps (especially the side bar) and is a great old pub. Then it's back West to Salt House and Bierhaus.

Advertisement