Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's ****.

Better then expected at 6.8% and well worth the £3 which is €3 at today's exchange rate. Sold out everywhere already.

£4.50 a half in the brewdog bars doesn't make much sense to me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Remember when Black's of Kinsale first released Hi-Viz? The hype was ramped right up, similar to Amber Ella from their Cork-based brethren at 8 Degrees. Beer enthusiasts spoke of quotas and limits at events like the Alltech festival.

I was still fairly new to beer back then, mostly into stouts, and couldn't really appreciate hops. I had tried Of Foam and Fury and loved it, but that may have been because I was drunk. Hoppel Hammer occasionally made its way south from White Water, Hoptimum was a rare treat from across the Atlantic, and Trouble Brewing's pale ale was still enough to blow my young mind.

Tonight I'm drinking Hi-Viz again for the first time in a long time. And I am loving it. My girlfriend just described it as "too IPA-ey". Nuff said. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hi Viz is a great beer. I haven't had it in years so will have to order some in next time. Can or bottle? Do they bottle it any more?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a can of Sierra Nevada California IPA last night. It's part of the Tesco 2x4packs for £9 (along with BrewDog, Jaipur, Fourpure) so works out good value. Really citrusy, refreshing summer pale ale. Will be picking up more.

33190-48926-v4_product_img.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

irish_goat wrote: »
    Had a can of Sierra Nevada California IPA last night. It's part of the Tesco 2x4packs for £9 (along with BrewDog, Jaipur, Fourpure) so works out good value. Really citrusy, refreshing summer pale ale. Will be picking up more.

33190-48926-v4_product_img.jpg

Have one of these in the fridge at the moment, will crack it open in a while.

Currently supping on a Founders KBS, it really is as good as beer gets. Magnificent stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cracked open two bottles of Ewe Rebel by Whitewater. An IPA by name but it's more of a classic Bitter by nature. Decent and drinkable but as 7% it's not to be messed with; two is definitely my limit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,676 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Manager of the local Molloys told me this evening that Yellowbelly are concentrating on the draught market and pulling out of bottles / cans - seems a bit strange.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't remember the last time I saw anything other than Citra on draught at this stage. Sounds suspect really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Manager of the local Molloys told me this evening that Yellowbelly are concentrating on the draught market and pulling out of bottles / cans - seems a bit strange.

They should concentrate on Brewing the same version of cirta twice in a row instead of releasing a new mediocre beer every 5 days like some sort of ADHD riddled 7 year old was allowed run a brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,676 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ironically, the one I bought tonight - Belly Dance - is the first Yellowbelly I've tried which I thought was decent, although it's a collaboration so does it count? :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Ironically, the one I bought tonight - Belly Dance - is the first Yellowbelly I've tried which I thought was decent, although it's a collaboration so does it count? :pac:

Is that the "lime sour IPA"?

If it ia thought it was drain pour tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Makes no sense. Every brewery is in it for the money and the margin on cans is way bigger. Plus they have invested in a canning line.
    L1011 wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I saw anything other than Citra on draught at this stage. Sounds suspect really.

They only seem to have one core beer of their own, Citra. Castaway was originally a collaboration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Haven't seen anything new from them in a while. They've had some great stuff over the last few years.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Makes no sense. Every brewery is in it for the money and the margin on cans is way bigger. Plus they have invested in a canning line.

They only seem to have one core beer of their own, Citra. Castaway was originally a collaboration.

The changes to the original labels to hide all traces of the collaborators is kinda funny tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lots and lots of sonoma on cask. There is no better beer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    Better then expected at 6.8% and well worth the £3 which is €3 at today's exchange rate. Sold out everywhere already.

£4.50 a half in the brewdog bars doesn't make much sense to me

Had one earlier. Not bad. Very much in the “off the shelf, painting by numbers” NEIPA style.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They should concentrate on Brewing the same version of cirta twice in a row instead of releasing a new mediocre beer every 5 days like some sort of ADHD riddled 7 year old was allowed run a brewery.

Not long now and they'll go the way of eight degrees and Galway bay.

I don't see the link between either three?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I don't see the link between either three?

As both of them got bigger, their quality declined.

Agreed on Eight Degrees, though their barrel aged stuff has been consistently good over the years. GBB's quality hasn't declined, quite the opposite i'd say. Yellowbelly aren't getting bigger either, they've had financial difficulties, hence the concentration on draught only for now.

• Advertisement

they've had financial difficulties, hence the concentration on draught only for now.

What do you know that we don't?

Agreed on Eight Degrees, though their barrel aged stuff has been consistently good over the years. GBB's quality hasn't declined, quite the opposite i'd say. Yellowbelly aren't getting bigger either, they've had financial difficulties, hence the concentration on draught only for now.

Why would a brewery who own a canning line focus on the less profitable draught market?
    That makes no sense.

Why would a brewery who own a canning line focus on the less profitable draught market?
    That makes no sense.

I don't know ins and outs, just what I've heard. Canning line may be out of action and it's too expensive to fix for now? Draught is where your volume is also, you'll shift a 30l keg quicker than you will 70 odd 440ml cans.

As both of them got bigger, their quality declined.

GBBs consistency was abysmal in the past and is fine now though?

L1011 wrote: »
    GBBs consistency was abysmal in the past and is fine now though?

It's consistent alright. It's just not as good as it used to be.

It's consistent alright. It's just not as good as it used to be.

The only one of the core range I can identify as having had a reduction in taste quality to me is Buried at Sea. I'll trade that off for having consistent bottles of Full Sail and Bay Ale in the Centra down the road though.

Draught is where your volume is also, you'll shift a 30l keg quicker than you will 70 odd 440ml cans.

Kegs are a much harder sell. Only pubs/bars that stock craft beer will take them, and that's probably less than 10% of all pubs/bars. Otoh, virtually every off licence sells craft.

Additionally, cans have a huge margin compared to kegs. Publicans expect almost double the margin that off licences do (65% vs 35%)

Kegs are a much harder sell. Only pubs/bars that stock craft beer will take them, and that's probably less than 10% of all pubs/bars. Otoh, virtually every off licence sells craft.

Additionally, cans have a huge margin compared to kegs. Publicans expect almost double the margin that off licences do (65% vs 35%)

Every offie may have some sort of craft beer range nowadays but very few outside (and plenty within) Dublin have any sort of extensive range. It's just as hard to get listed in offies as pubs on the whole. Pub margin is about right but an offie making 35% on beer is frankly overcharging. It is beer after all and you have to move it on quickly enough unlike wine or spirits. Taking into account special offers it's closer to 25%, going by prices I've seen around.

Every offie may have some sort of craft beer range nowadays but very few outside (and plenty within) Dublin have any sort of extensive range. It's just as hard to get listed in offies as pubs on the whole. Pub margin is about right but an offie making 35% on beer is frankly overcharging. It is beer after all and you have to move it on quickly enough unlike wine or spirits. Taking into account special offers it's closer to 25%, going by prices I've seen around.

If you deal with O'Brien's (who are excellent to deal with btw) they could take 25% of your stock in one swoop.

I don't really want to get into a discussion about margins as I'm really undecided about that, for both pubs and off licences. Some have massive overheads, some don't (edit: and ergo, some are price gouging, some aren't).

To compare YB availability, I live 10 miles from O'Connell St. Every off licence around has their cans, but I'd have to travel 9 miles to get draught (Underdog).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

To compare YB availability, I live 10 miles from O'Connell St. Every off licence around has their cans, but I'd have to travel 9 miles to get draught (Underdog).

Huh? Does not compute

Advertisement