Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Loads of Vertigo a delicious DIPA by Brouwerij Frontaal and North Brewing, right up there with the best beer i’ve tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Huh? Does not compute

Leixlip. Their beer is in every offy, but on draft the closest place is Underdog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

n97 mini wrote: »
    Leixlip. Their beer is in every offy, but on draft the closest place is Underdog.

On top of that they seem to be in all the super valus around North Kildare, I really can't see how draft over cans would be the financially lucrative option.... But then again I know absolutely nothing about how this stuff works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    On top of that they seem to be in all the super valus around North Kildare, I really can't see how draft over cans would be the financially lucrative option.... But then again I know absolutely nothing about how this stuff works!

They're listed wth Musgraves, most Super Value's and Centra's have them in stock and all of them can stock them if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks this might not be the right thread but I'm wondering if anyone has seen Liefmans Fruitesse to buy in Ireland? We're just back from Amsterdam and herself tried this over there and loved it.

https://www.liefmans.be/en/fruitesse-on-the-rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Not currently imported I'm afraid. Only the Goudenband comes in to the best of my knowledge, odd kegs of their other beers from time to time. You'll find Timmermans fruit beers here which would be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I had some bottled Samuel Smith's organic fruit beer.

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/product-category/bottles/fruit-beer/

355ml bottles, aimed at US markets?

Dunnes Stores, 3 for 9 euro

The bottle label goes into some detail that the beers are brewed in what seems to be a very small, traditional brewery, with no modern machines, and they transferred to Samuel Smith's, where the fruit is added.

http://www.allsaintsbrewery.co.uk/

Interesting beer.

Can I just ask - why am I seeing more and more 440ml cans?

I expect imported UK lagers to often be in 440ml cans, ok.

But I am seeing Irish "craft" beers in 440 ml cans.

Why?

Sent to UK to be canned?

Another question - ALDI have two ranges of "craft" beers, but both are made at the same Station Works brewery?

Why have two different brands/ranges?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks for the help guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    Can I just ask - why am I seeing more and more 440ml cans?
    Fashion. Breweries believe they have to have 440ml cans to be taken seriously by the discerning consumer. Colourful abstract art on the label? Same reason.
    Geuze wrote: »
    Another question - ALDI have two ranges of "craft" beers, but both are made at the same Station Works brewery? Why have two different brands/ranges?
    The mysteries of the supermarkets' algorithms. There's a PowerPoint somewhere which sets out how the Brown Bear drinker is different from the Roadworks drinker. It's highly commercially sensitive so you're unlikely to ever get an answer unless you work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Some GBB Blue Monday, Requiem BIPA and Linemans RIPA for the weekend. The latter 2 are first timers. Hopefully they are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

jh79 wrote: »
    Some GBB Blue Monday, Requim BIPA and Linemans RIPA for the weekend. The latter 2 are first timers. Hopefully they are nice.

Lineman RIPA is mega.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had the 3 Lidl craft IPA cans the other night. Reasonably priced at £1.19 a can but all fairly disappointing. Won't bother buying them again when I can get the likes of BrewDog, Sierra Nevada and Thornbridge in Tesco for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,662 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two bottles of McGargles Francis today with the most particulate matter I've seen in their stuff ever. Leaving a bottle upright for an hour and very careful pouring has got me a pretty clean glass of normal tasting beer but about an inch I need to leave settle again / drink the sediment / give up on is left in the bottle.

Ironic when I've been singing the praises of their recent product on another thread :pac:
    irish_goat wrote: »
    Had the 3 Lidl craft IPA cans the other night. Reasonably priced at £1.19 a can but all fairly disappointing. Won't bother buying them again when I can get the likes of BrewDog, Sierra Nevada and Thornbridge in Tesco for the same price.

I've bought the orange one again but wouldn't bother with the other two. Find cans chill quicker in my fridge, not sure if its the aluminium or the smaller volume or my imagination, so will probably grab again if there's nothing chilled and I want something quicker.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was giving out recently that I couldn't find many decent stouts over the summer.

Lo and behold, my prayers were answered and one of my old favourites resurfaced on tap in one of my locals. Shanco Dubh from Brehon brewers. Absolutely gorgeous. High abv for a pint, but totally worth it as a rare treat.

Followed it up with Galway Bay's Goodbye Blue Monday in a different bar up the road. Early night now, but happy out after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Tried the porterhouse coffee stout the other day, speaking of stouts, which at 6.3% and 500ml was excellent value on a four for 10 deal. A really nice beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I was giving out recently that I couldn't find many decent stouts over the summer.

Lo and behold, my prayers were answered and one of my old favourites resurfaced on tap in one of my locals. Shanco Dubh from Brehon brewers. Absolutely gorgeous. High abv for a pint, but totally worth it as a rare treat.

Followed it up with Galway Bay's Goodbye Blue Monday in a different bar up the road. Early night now, but happy out after that.

Are you in Dublin? Where is Shanco Dubh on tap if you don't mind me asking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are you in Dublin? Where is Shanco Dubh on tap if you don't mind me asking.

I'm in Limerick, sorry!
    I think the Black Sheep and the Underdog had it in Dublin earlier this summer, but I don't know if anyone else has it on draft at the moment.

Had some of Dead Centre Brewing's new Dead Pixels Pils over the weekend.
    4% abv, super clean and crisp. Really enjoyed it.
    Would have been a great summer beer but I'm sure it'll do grand for the autumn too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A recent trip to Wales gave a chance to try out some cask beer.

Best of what I had were by Portmadog based Purple Moose. Dark Side of the Moose is a superb bodied ale that has shades of Titanic Plum about it and was my pick of the week; Cwrw Eryri (Snowdonia) is a softly flowing golden mild while Antlered is a soft IPA with the emphasis on the sweeter malts, both fine ales in their own way.

Towards the east, I tried Stonehouse's Zaffir. It is a sharp and fresh sessioner IPA that I got quite fond off, but not as fond as I was of Mold brewed Honey Honey by Hafod, a golden ale with an infuse of Mexican honey. This is a seasonal brew so chances are that I won't get it again.

I also got to the Mold Alehouse try Ridgeside (Yorkshire) and their Milky Joe (Coffee Milk Stout) and two sours, pineapple and mango infused Equator and a grapefruit sessioner IPA called Aotea. Pints of Tudor's IPA were also sampled, a fine beer to try if you ever end up in Gwent.

Lastly, Theaskon's Best, the first ever bitter that I tried was quaffed in one tavern while Fuller's Beachcomber was on at my hotel and proved to be a good nightcap.

Iechyd Da :)

Dark side of the moose is spectacular on cask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Had a bottle of Hope/Dot imperial oatmeal stout. Gorgeous!

L1011 wrote: »
    I've bought the orange one again but wouldn't bother with the other two. Find cans chill quicker in my fridge, not sure if its the aluminium or the smaller volume or my imagination, so will probably grab again if there's nothing chilled and I want something quicker.

I thought that tasted a bit like an IPA mixed with Fanta. Strange experience but I think I probably would buy it again. Might even try making one myself with a different beer and some Club Orange.

Cantillon geuze on tap in Underdog. €11 for 330ml...christ, it's very drinkable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Has anyone else ever had the West Kerry Brewery Vintage Ale? Getting strong brett from it but not sure if it's supposed to be there. Enjoying it regardless of whether it is or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Wicklow Wolf Mammoth IPA 6.2%.

Really like this. Kinda like SN Torpedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

First, a red herring, but it goes to make the point that time and tide and circumstances influence my choice of beer. I spent a great week in Louisburgh (Mayo) in early July.

The beer I enjoyed most was a pint of Rockshore that I had at Carroniskey Races (Ceathru an Uisce on the way to Duvilra) on a scorching summers day ! I know its **** but on the day, as were the races, it was great.

Anyway, I tried every Mescan I could get-a total of 8 (I worked hard!). The week was very warm and I had the fridge very cold so some of my opinions on the hi alcohol beers may be coloured as a result.

I drank #61 Westport Red Triple 8.5%, #66 Westporter stout 5%, #67 Westport extra 9.3%, #68 Westport Blond 5.5%, #69 Westport white 5%, #72 Westport saison 6.2%,~73 Special Reserve 8.4% and #77 7 Virtues lager 4.9%. On your behalf, I would have tried more but that was all. Mind you, a promo leaflet told me they made 6 so I did well. Got them in Supervalu Westport, Louisburgh itself and Clifden.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the lighter ones....Seven Virtues, Westport white (beer of the year so far IMO), Westport Blonde..nearly as good as the white. I also liked the Westporter stout ( anyone would!) and to my surprise, the Saison which is a style I dont normally like.. The higher proofs were not to my style (cold weather beers?) but I have enjoyed some of them previously.

Overall, I satisfied myself that Mescan is the best brewery in Ireland (my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,662 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl has Four Provinces Piper and Hurler cans in for 2 for €4. 330ml. Consistent/drinkable if nothing earth shattering and I like what the brewery is doing with its pub. Description of the beer is in Irish for anyone who needs having "Amber IPA" or "Copper Ale" explained!
    sceach16 wrote: »
    The beer I enjoyed most was a pint of Rockshore that I had at Carroniskey Races (Ceathru an Uisce on the way to Duvilra) on a scorching summers day ! I know its **** but on the day, as were the races, it was great.

A bog standard lager on a hot day, on holidays often ends up being the best you've had - and you'll never repeat it at home. See the people asking for Sagres/Super Bock/Estrella/Greek lagers on here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

L1011 wrote: »
    Lidl has Four Provinces Piper and Hurler cans in for 2 for €4. 330ml. Consistent/drinkable if nothing earth shattering and I like what the brewery is doing with its pub. Description of the beer is in Irish for anyone who needs having "Amber IPA" or "Copper Ale" explained!

A bog standard lager on a hot day, on holidays often ends up being the best you've had - and you'll never repeat it at home. See the people asking for Sagres/Super Bock/Estrella/Greek lagers on here :pac:

Very true. I don't drink lager at all in Ireland but I'll be in Spain soon thirsting for the Mahou/ Estrella Galicia / San Miguel. Mind you I'm coming back via Barcelona so it would be rude not to seek out some of Garage's offerings while there.

Advertisement