Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Well this Noreast crowd whoever they are aren't making any money by not selling beer. Tesco, Dunnes, Molloys in my area none of them stock it.

Aldi have a much better range of "normal" beers and better specials than Lidl.

Would be up to the local managers in each store, all depends on demand. Best way to get it stocked is to ask and ask again!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Was drinking faustinio (not sure of the spelling) in Spain last week... €3.50 a bottle in the carrefour compare to over €20 a bottle here in O'Brien's. Also had a pint bottle of Magners in an irish pub. €4.50. This was in Seville.

So turned off the price in Dublin to go out for a pint that a few friends around for a match or dinner makes sense. It's like €20 is the new 5 punt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Waitrose have a great selection over here. Going against Tesco now for the £3 hype stuff. Great selection of German and Belgian stuff too. Shocked when I seen Boon Oude Gueuze(£3.25)

EErlMubWsAAGIfo?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 68,663 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was drinking faustinio (not sure of the spelling) in Spain last week... €3.50 a bottle in the carrefour compare to over €20 a bottle here in O'Brien's. Also had a pint bottle of Magners in an irish pub. €4.50. This was in Seville.

So turned off the price in Dublin to go out for a pint that a few friends around for a match or dinner makes sense. It's like €20 is the new 5 punt

Neither of those are beers - but on the first it's a mix of vastly higher taxation, shipping and general business costs - and then a higher margin

The latter is likely just the duty difference

Thought that was Larkins on the bottom shelf at first glance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    Shocked when I seen Boon Oude Gueuze(£3.25)
    The 250ml crown cap jobs? They're brillliant. Lots of otherwise very ordinary bars in Belgium and the Netherlands stock them now, €3.50 last I saw.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The 250ml crown cap jobs? They're brillliant. Lots of otherwise very ordinary bars in Belgium and the Netherlands stock them now, €3.50 last I saw.

The 375ml ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Having a few of the Kinsale Black IPA this evening, hard to beat. I love when I can get a draught off something I drink (hence being delighted to know about the Laidir above and drinking the Stag Saor stout). Do Blacks do draught Black IPA anywhere? Thanks.

Dont know if they do have it on draught anywhere but I like your taste in stout/beer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Faustino though comes in numbers 1-8 as far as I remember, with 1 being best and highest priced, so are you comparing like with like? Not to say it's not (a lot) more expensive here but some of the cheaper ones are in the 8-10 euro range.

Was going to head out earlier but I had a few Treaty City Shannon River that I’d been keeping from my last trip below. Absolutely gorgeous stuff.

• Advertisement

A mix of SW Dublin suburbia and D8 pubs have ensured I had little choice but having a day of Smithwicks. The bland, it's eating me alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

A few Do you know the Blueberry Man by AF Brew in Hoppzak, like desert in a glass. Deliciously creamy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Home and having an Omnipollo Aon Pecan Mud Cake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Recent goo has been for Galway Hooker's Honey Brown Ale. Not brown enough to be a traditional brown and not sweet enough to be a regular honey beer; two wrongs have made a very very good right :cool:

More supermarket stuff. £2.50 in Morrisons, 11% so obviously got 8 bottles.

70829662_10218254496806798_3627801631883526144_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQmK2ApeQEDoZk3JbysHK4FYUGiUcQc7DRN031wyyMBpgXn0nfr8kptNap086lSTdbk&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=df4b76ffb0c011eddf58eb75a0b6717f&oe=5E304228

• Registered Users Posts: 29,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wicklow wolf sorachi red ale.
    https://mitchellandson.com/products/wicklow-wolf-sorachi-irish-red-50cl

Caramel, malty not too heavy. Very nice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Does anyone know if Galway bay have changed the full sail recipe? Have had four bottles over the last couple of weeks, two with the old label, two with the new, all of which have a distinct funky taste and not at all a clean crisp IPA taste. Also all cloudy in the glass. Wondering if it's a bad batch, or have they changed it? It's really not nice to drink.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

VW 1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Galway bay have changed the full sail recipe? Have had four bottles over the last couple of weeks, two with the old label, two with the new, all of which have a distinct funky taste and not at all a clean crisp IPA taste. Also all cloudy in the glass. Wondering if it's a bad batch, or have they changed it? It's really not nice to drink.

I find it a little bit inconsistent in the bottle, but generally always cloudy as well.

Just opened the first of a few Blacks Worlds End.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Big into the Boyne Brewhouse session IPA these days. The ones in the little cans. Tesco still doing 6 for a tenner. It's great because you can down the 6 of them and be grand the next day. It's delicious.

• Advertisement

gebbel wrote: »
    Big into the Boyne Brewhouse session IPA these days. The ones in the little cans. Tesco still doing 6 for a tenner. It's great because you can down the 6 of them and be grand the next day. It's delicious.

All their stuff is lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just opened the first of a few Blacks Worlds End.

It's a good one. Enjoy.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's a good one. Enjoy.

Haven’t seen it about in a good while. Grabbed a Ballykilcavan Blackwell too, didn’t even know they did a stout but wish I’d got more.

71518621_10157805456883896_9070829349850054656_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQlQS1LGcf_ToCJoQT7QqTHz-COvXBX5B6YCc6KrdaqAj5MPd64DwKdREtbumCoMHO8&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=37c36fd06cd684326ba29ab0fa52ca56&oe=5DFE07C4

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'll have to phone a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can I choose 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

gebbel wrote: »

That 6 for a tenner is a great offer, really like the Vienna Lager too

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Does anyone know where Alska cider can be bought in Dublin other than The Bank? Bars or supermarkets will do.. .thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Aldi.

• Advertisement

I'm in Kilkenny for an event, and even the auld lads pub I'm staying in (old railway hotel of sorts that now uses airbnb) has a few craft options amazingly. Suspect the event venue will be Heineken products only again though, so I'd better have what they can offer now!

Advertisement