Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,663 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One Killarney Helles done (decent) and one Sullivan's in front of me now (not, suspect it's not moving despite being local).

Having a few Ballykilcavan Blackwell and picked up a few of the Bin Bawn which may or may not get a run out later.

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm in Kilkenny for an event, and even the auld lads pub I'm staying in (old railway hotel of sorts that now uses airbnb) has a few craft options amazingly. Suspect the event venue will be Heineken products only again though, so I'd better have what they can offer now!

It’s very hard find out about places before you go. I’m away to Cork tomorrow and I can’t find one iota on what’s available in the town at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It’s very hard find out about places before you go. I’m away to Cork tomorrow and I can’t find one iota on what’s available in the town at all.

Bierhaus on pope's Quay has a great selection.
    Bit pricey though.

Also Impala, near the courthouse, interesting selection.

If you want takeaway, Bradley's on North Main street is very good.

Fionnbarra on Douglas Street is my local.
    Currently there having an 8 degrees collaborate Belgium IPA, green ball:

IMG-20191003-132805.jpg

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Bit pricey though.

Also Impala, near the courthouse, interesting selection.

If you want takeaway, Bradley's on North Main street is very good.

Fionnbarra on Douglas Street is my local.
    Currently there having an 8 degrees collaborate Belgium IPA, green ball

Sorry, my bad. It’s Co. Cork, Youghal. Though, good to know as I’d be in the city fairly regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was in the off licence earlier and I was actually wondering when the next in the 8 Degrees series was out. Tbh though, I’ve been a bit underwhelmed by the series thus far, but I’m a sucker for sticking to collections like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Guinness west indies porter, going down well with a stew, which had a can of Guinness extra thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was watching the world athletics drinking reverie finest french brandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Beer festival last night. Some standouts where Kriek(2010) by Cascade and all of the Burning Sky stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Bit pricey though.
    g[/img]

Compared to where, and for what?

Bierhaus sells some expensive beers, but I genuinely don't get how you'd say it's an expensive bar.
    Can you give examples of this priciness?

It's probably the cheapest bar in Cork for top shelf spirits, too.

• Advertisement

Compared to where, and for what?

Bierhaus sells some expensive beers, but I genuinely don't get how you'd say it's an expensive bar.
    Can you give examples of this priciness?

It's probably the cheapest bar in Cork for top shelf spirits, too.

Just a general point.
    Impala sell that Belgian cherry beer for less for example. But I agree that the beers they sell are expensive by the nature of them. They do have a great selection though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

3 bottles of Ballast Point Tongue Buckler last night. Very nice and got me quite merry

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Picked up couple of Wicklow Wolf Pointy Shoes this evening. Don’t think I’ll open them this side of Christmas though.

What beer are we drinking this week? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Dunnes had a Samuel Smith's apricot ale in stock - never noticed Samuel Smith's in Ireland before at all. Does what it says on the bottle taste wise.

355ml bottle, because Smith's have to be odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

L1011 wrote: »
    Dunnes had a Samuel Smith's apricot ale in stock - never noticed Samuel Smith's in Ireland before at all. Does what it says on the bottle taste wise.

355ml bottle, because Smith's have to be odd.

I’ve seen their oatmeal stout and one other that I can’t think of off the top of my head in a few off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

sceach16 wrote: »
    What beer are we drinking this week?

My local Off Licence hasn't got Pointy Shoes in yet. I can't wait to try it.
    Can't understand how someone could wait until Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Anything decent on tap in Underdog lately?? I've a gig in Dublin tonight and I might pop in for a few beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Anything decent on tap in Underdog lately?? I've a gig in Dublin tonight and I might pop in for a few beforehand

Have a gander at their taplist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Local place finally got Wicklow Wolf Pointy Shoes in. Got four cans. Lovely stout.

• Advertisement

I have very rarely cut out the middleman and poured a bottle straight down the toilet but I’ve just done it with a Rascals Irish Coffee Stout. I think it’s the worst drink I’ve ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I have very rarely cut out the middleman and poured a bottle straight down the toilet but I’ve just done it with a Rascals Irish Coffee Stout. I think it’s the worst drink I’ve ever tasted.
    Par for the course with Rascals, never had anything good from them. Can remember a mint choc stout that tasted of mouthwash. Don't get their stuff anymore as a result of previous experience.

Par for the course with Rascals, never had anything good from them. Can remember a mint choc stout that tasted of mouthwash. Don't get their stuff anymore as a result of previous experience.

I don’t like much of their odd experimental stuff but I do find the regular range very nice especially the red can (name escapes me right now). While all these whiskey keg ones would never be top of my list from anyone, there wasn’t anything resembling a taste of stout off this. Maybe something went wrong but it was just like really watered down whiskey with a bit of fizz.

"Big Hop Red" is the red can

I've had some incredibly acidic cans of Wunderbar in the past but its been fine recently. Its the only craft consistently chilled in my local shop, despite talking to the owners son who looks after the off-sales about it (they sometimes have Yellowbelly in the fridge also but not consistently) so it, Big Hop Red and Fruitopolis are regular purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was in a malty mood this evening so I cracked open a can of WhipLash Scaldy Porter and Slow burner, an excellent bottle conditioned extra stout from St. Mel's. Both did the job nicely, the Scaldy especially being quite impressive.

Rascals is nice.
    Can't get much of these down south.

Lucky dubs.

I was in a malty mood this evening so I cracked open a can of WhipLash Scaldy Porter and Slow burner, an excellent bottle conditioned extra stout from St. Mel's. Both did the job nicely, the Scaldy especially being quite impressive.

Whiplash do some nice stuff.
    Branding on the cans is very tasty.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Buxton/Omnipollo Yellow Belly. Ridiculously expensive in the pub earlier, so shared one with my wife, but I have to say it was worth every penny. An absolutely spectacular beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wicklow Wolf - Pointy Shoes is a great beer and fantastic value. €5.25 for 440ML @ 12.25%

Only slight complaint is that the Bourbon is slightly raw and a bit harsh so I reckon it would age well. Bought a few extra to do just that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Wicklow Wolf - Pointy Shoes is a great beer and fantastic value. €5.25 for 440ML @ 12.25%

Only slight complaint is that the Bourbon is slightly raw and a bit harsh so I reckon it would age well. Bought a few extra to do just that. :)
    Where’d you pick that up?

Advertisement