Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Topping Golliath pouring in the brewdog bars over here. Nice having some bitterness back in haze bombs. Delicious stuff.

DSC_3298.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Rounding off a few of my own with a Leann Folláin. I always forget how nice it is.

And a great price at 4 for €10 in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

On Althea Pale Ale from Galway Bay tonight.. Heading to Belfast to sample what they have during the week. Really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,663 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has the Full Sail recipe changed I wonder - my local shop has new design bottles, the most recent of which have been a tad subpar, but I'm used to variabilty with GBB.

Bought, with trepidation, some clearly older old label bottles today (May 20 expiry, think they do 12 months from brewing) and they taste exactly as expected despite the age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

L1011 wrote: »
    Has the Full Sail recipe changed I wonder - my local shop has new design bottles, the most recent of which have been a tad subpar, but I'm used to variabilty with GBB.

Bought, with trepidation, some clearly older old label bottles today (May 20 expiry, think they do 12 months from brewing) and they taste exactly as expected despite the age.

Changed twice in the last few years. Once when they shipped in a new head brewer from the US when the guy who got them a name (brewed OFAF, 200 Fathoms, etc) left to work abroad, and another change about 6-8 months later when he basically got demoted to production manager and the assistant brewer took over head brewer duties because the yanks' beers were, to be blunt, not great.

Went from old school bitter west coat IPA with a decent amount of malt body, to thin and boring, to new school low bitterness, dry, fruity IPA with massive aroma.

It's been the same since the newest brewer took over, which is like 2+ years ago, all their branding for a refresh a few months back though. Newest lad also has an imprint/sub brand called Land and Labour which he runs from the same production facility focusing on barrel aged, sour, and mixed ferm small batch limited edition brews, got a big fancy coolship comissioned and everything, looks a serious setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I was in Tralee and Kenmare over the past few months and on both visits had the Full Circle IPA from the Killarney Brewing Company.

Definitely one of the better ones out there at the moment.

The new Whiplash brewery looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Enjoyed a can of The Big Smoke from Rascals last night.

Slightly smokey/woody and a hint of bourbon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Took the opportunity during the week to try out the Stiegl Radler. It is basically a grapefruit shandy and was delicious. It is only 2% however, so I took the initiative of adding copious amounts of Cork Dry Gin and fat slices of Spanish orange with ice, all poured delectably into a large wine glass, almost cocktail style.

It is basically half a can of Stiegl Radler, to about as liberal a portion of Gin as you prefer. Is fearr liom a lan Gin nuair a bhíonn mé ag ól agus nuair a bhí mé air meisce, ceart go leor?

It started off melancholy enough, I fairly hammered the first one down in less than 10 minutes. " more please" a thigim. Nailed the second in sprightly enough fashion and the conversation was escalating nicely. I actually started making my third when I was making my second, they are fooooooking delicious, believe.

After an hour and a half I was dancing with my reflection in the kitchen mirror and was contemplating ringing up old schoolfriends " just for a chat ". Thank goodness I got the hang of myself and decided to turn up the stereo instead.

I must have nailed about 4 full cans and the guts of a 3/4 bottle of Cork Dry by the time the head spins arrived. Luckily I managed to find the couch and spent the rest of the evening laughing my bollocks off at the Television, I am not sure what was on at the time.

I am giving this quite simple concoction a qualified 9/10. I am dropping a point for the motheroflordgodchristalmightymotherphucker of a hangover I had the next morning. I would advise you to medicate as you are going to bed.

Give it a go, I doubt you will regret it.

IMG_1529.jpgcork-dry-gin-1980s-gin.jpg?ss=2.0

PS, a bird in work said that it goes well also with vodka, just in case you a ginaphobe.

Can't deal with a gin hangover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I was in Belfast for the last few days and went to The Vineyard on my way home.. They've some craft selection and the 2 lads behind the counter were more than helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://untappd.com/b/de-moersleutel-disco-dazzle/3470195

Really really good stuff this, bit to easy to drink though!!!

Grabbed a few Treaty City Harris during the week when I was in Limerick working. Lovely but I wish I'd picked up a few Shannon River too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lads.

Pointy Shoes. On draft. O.M.F.G. :eek:

That is one hell of a stout. Five stars from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Changed twice in the last few years. Once when they shipped in a new head brewer from the US when the guy who got them a name (brewed OFAF, 200 Fathoms, etc) left to work abroad, and another change about 6-8 months later when he basically got demoted to production manager and the assistant brewer took over head brewer duties because the yanks' beers were, to be blunt, not great.

Went from old school bitter west coat IPA with a decent amount of malt body, to thin and boring, to new school low bitterness, dry, fruity IPA with massive aroma.

It's been the same since the newest brewer took over, which is like 2+ years ago, all their branding for a refresh a few months back though. Newest lad also has an imprint/sub brand called Land and Labour which he runs from the same production facility focusing on barrel aged, sour, and mixed ferm small batch limited edition brews, got a big fancy coolship comissioned and everything, looks a serious setup.

Interesting....

Has Althea changed?

I picked up 4 bottles the other day and they all tasted like saisons.

Made good beer batter in fairness, so weren't a complete waste of money.

It used to be a great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Pointy Shoes is stunning alright one of the best imperial stouts I've had. Got hold of 4 cans which was all the off license had.! I've drank one and going to try and save the rest. I won't be able to resist having another soon though!

Had a Boundary Yeboah last night somehow never tried a Boundary beer before but I'll be giving more of them a try based on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Interesting....

Has Althea changed?

I picked up 4 bottles the other day and they all tasted like saisons.

Made good beer batter in fairness, so weren't a complete waste of money.

It used to be a great beer.

Probably. Couldn't be sure to be honest, don't drink much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Have a Dogfish head Worldwide stout for this evening, a friend brought it back from the states. Anyone tried it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

VW 1 wrote: »
    Have a Dogfish head Worldwide stout for this evening, a friend brought it back from the states. Anyone tried it before?

If it’s anything like there IPA’s you shouldn’t be disappointed.

VW 1 wrote: »

Save that till Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

OOnegative wrote: »
    If it’s anything like there IPA’s you shouldn’t be disappointed.

Yeah I love their 90 min ipa.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Save that till Christmas

Not a bad shout actually, might well do that.

EI87RIqUEAA4Exf?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Lads.

Pointy Shoes. On draft. O.M.F.G. :eek:

That is one hell of a stout. Five stars from me.

Where the **** can you get it on draft?

Effects wrote: »

Mother Macs in Limerick apparently has it at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Effects wrote: »
    Might still be on in Alfie Byrne's, it was there on Friday and is still on their online taplist. The Black Sheep also tapped a keg of it over the weekend.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Might still be on in Alfie Byrne's, it was there on Friday and is still on their online taplist. The Black Sheep also tapped a keg of it over the weekend.

There was no sign of it in the Black Sheep last night anyway.

There was no sign of it in the Black Sheep last night anyway.
    Added to their list at 4.52pm yesterday, and still on it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Were you just reading their blackboards? That tends to be the last thing updated.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Added to their list at 4.52pm yesterday, and still on it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Were you just reading their blackboards? That tends to be the last thing updated.

I don’t know what ‘their list’ is other than the blackboards. ‘Their List’? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    It’s not one I’d touch on a night out anyway, more one for the sofa.

Their list. Unlike the blackboards, updating doesn't require a stepladder. Not all branches keep theirs up-to-date but The Black Sheep generally does. The only way to be absolutely sure what they're pouring at any given time is looking at the tap badges.

• Advertisement

Dot Brew - Windfall Barrel Aged Table Beer 750ml Bottle 3.2% ABV

That seems pointless.

Advertisement