Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'll drop by the black sheep tomorrow so. Hopefully they do pints.
    I bought eight cans, and I'm down to two. Had to stash then in my dad's house to avoid drinking them. Hoping to keep until Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    That seems pointless.

A session imperial stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

A barrel aging can do wonders for a table beer if done subtly.

I'd love to try Hill Farmstead's BA table beer 'Table Dorothy'

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Effects wrote: »
    Where the **** can you get it on draft?

Had it in the Harbour Bar in Bray the weekend before last, fantastic beer. Although I would imagine it may be all gone by now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Trying "More Stuff" from Heaneys tonight.. It's a DDH IPA and easily one of the best drops I've ever had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Centra have 8 degrees 4 for €10. Going to have them tomorrow. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Centra have 8 degrees 4 for €10. Going to have them tomorrow. Any good?

8 degrees is a brewery, not a beer, so you're going to have to be more specific. Their stuff is generally pretty good, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

I'd a couple of Abbot ales in spoons,
    Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Spruce Tip from Blacks Brewery : Its like drinking a Xmas tree! I loved the taste but 1 was enough!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There was no sign of it in the Black Sheep last night anyway.

Pointy Shoes on tap in the Black Sheep at the moment for anyone looking to get their hands on some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Changed twice in the last few years. Once when they shipped in a new head brewer from the US when the guy who got them a name (brewed OFAF, 200 Fathoms, etc) left to work abroad, and another change about 6-8 months later when he basically got demoted to production manager and the assistant brewer took over head brewer duties because the yanks' beers were, to be blunt, not great.

Went from old school bitter west coat IPA with a decent amount of malt body, to thin and boring, to new school low bitterness, dry, fruity IPA with massive aroma.

It's been the same since the newest brewer took over, which is like 2+ years ago, all their branding for a refresh a few months back though. Newest lad also has an imprint/sub brand called Land and Labour which he runs from the same production facility focusing on barrel aged, sour, and mixed ferm small batch limited edition brews, got a big fancy coolship comissioned and everything, looks a serious setup.

Got a different newer batch in a different store today and its back to what I was expecting; which is the last 2+ year one - bad batch or bad storage for my local store then

Zaph wrote: »
    Pointy Shoes on tap in the Black Sheep at the moment for anyone looking to get their hands on some.

Was over doing some work on my dad's house earlier and remembered I had two cans left in his house. Felt I deserved one of them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Saturday and I had two of the last pints on draught of West Mayo's Paddy Pilgrim Porter. The landlord at McGings reckoned that it would be all gone by the middle of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Saturday and I had two of the last pints on draught of West Mayo's Paddy Pilgrim Porter. The landlord at McGings reckoned that it would be all gone by the middle of this week.

Is this Islandeady resufacing? It was a great brewery doing good draught around Westport but they closed a while ago. it and Mescan were (IMO) the two best small producers not just in Mayo but in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In Urban Brewing yesterday and they have a lovely rye IPA on, for any fans of Kinnegar's Rustbucket.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

sceach16 wrote: »
    It was a great brewery doing good draught around Westport but they closed a while ago. it and Mescan were (IMO) the two best small producers not just in Mayo but in Ireland.
    I always found West Mayo's beers horribly stuffed with diacetyl and their bottles oxidised. To me they were consistently the worst Irish brewery. Though I still would have preferred to see them improve their beer rather than go out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭toffeeshel

BeerNut wrote: »
    I always found West Mayo's beers horribly stuffed with diacetyl and their bottles oxidised. To me they were consistently the worst Irish brewery. Though I still would have preferred to see them improve their beer rather than go out of business.

The beer for the bottles was brewed at Kelly’s Mountain which would probably explain the issues

Sure would! So apart from the brewing technicals they also had a provenance issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

BeerNut wrote: »

On draught, on visits to Westport over the years, I found their beers decent enough. There was nothing exciting about them, really, but they were certainly drinkable. The porter was about the best of them, if I recall.

Fortunately, I never tried their bottles.

What was the issue with the brewery that did the bottles?

• Advertisement

I always got an off flavour from their beers. Diacetyl I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

They just made at best average and at worst terrible beers. Lots of QC issues. Oxidation and infection in lots of their bottled batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

They just made at best average and at worst terrible beers. Lots of QC issues. Oxidation and infection in lots of their bottled batches.

Janey! I started something. I only ever drank their draught...stout and ale...and really enjoyed them. Maybe I was in holiday mood :confused:

Janey! I started something. I only ever drank their draught...stout and ale...and really enjoyed them. Maybe I was in holiday mood :confused:

The comments refer to Kellys and west mayo bottles . I don’t think that there were any issues with west mayo draught which was brewed just outside Westport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is this Islandeady resufacing? It was a great brewery doing good draught around Westport but they closed a while ago. it and Mescan were (IMO) the two best small producers not just in Mayo but in Ireland.

It is or should I say was the last of their last brew batch. One bar went through a lot the PPP.
    Beernut wrote:
    Though I still would have preferred to see them improve their beer rather than go out of business.

They didn't go out of business. They just chose to stop operating as they hadn't room or time or energy or cash to expand their set up. Their owner/brewer also got a job for a distillery in Scotland so that was that. They were no Mescan but then again they didn't aim to be.

Just on the Diacetyl, I never got a lot of that. Then again they bottled some beer on site for the local trade which is where I bought it from. As for Kellys :rolleyes::pac:

toffeeshel wrote: »
    I don’t think that there were any issues with west mayo draught
    There was with the Clew Bay Sunset I drank in 2014. Maybe they improved it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ojnab

Brewdog Lazy Jane, Priory Mortal Sin, Galway Bay Of Foam and Fury.

Anyone on here know a similar alternative to Whiplash Bone Machine?, had quite a few in the last few months and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Mother Macs in Limerick apparently has it at the moment.

Had a few of these in Mother Macs Monday night. Holy fcuk lads.
    A whopper !

Had a few of these in Mother Macs Monday night. Holy fcuk lads.
    A whopper !

As an aside, did you try Treaty City’s stout and you in there? Last time I was in they were out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

As an aside, did you try Treaty City’s stout and you in there? Last time I was in they were out.

I have yet to try it. Each time I'm out (which is rare these days) I'm on the hunt for either a DIPA or like Monday, I was out for some Pointy Shoes.
    It's on the list for over the Xmas alright.
    Also...AFAIK it's sold in a several other pubs around town.

Advertisement