Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

Samuel Smiths Imperial. For a country that prides ourselves on stout, Smiths puts us to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Bean around,hazelnut flat white stout. Simply excellent, strong coffee flavour, smooth milky body, really excellent. Not a strong imperial at just north of 7%, but definitely one I'll pick up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Had few Dark & Wild City 2019, Chocolate Brownie Sundae Stout by Northern Monk at the weekend. Delicious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭toffeeshel

VW 1 wrote: »
    Bean around,hazelnut flat white stout. Simply excellent, strong coffee flavour, smooth milky body, really excellent. Not a strong imperial at just north of 7%, but definitely one I'll pick up again.

What brewery? Sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I have yet to try it. Each time I'm out (which is rare these days) I'm on the hunt for either a DIPA or like Monday, I was out for some Pointy Shoes.
    It's on the list for over the Xmas alright.
    Also...AFAIK it's sold in a several other pubs around town.

Had a few pints of it. It's very smooth and silky. One to the best craft stouts around.

• Advertisement

I’ve one can left for Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

I’ve one can left for Christmas Day.

I admire you :D

toffeeshel wrote: »
    What brewery? Sounds good

Label said hopfully X Lough gill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Samuel Smiths Imperial. For a country that prides ourselves on stout, Smiths puts us to shame.

We pride ourselves on Guinness, not all stout.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

200 Fathoms, Pointy Shoes, 8 Ball Metric Stout, Black Boar, Shanco Dubh, World's End and countless others would easily prove you wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

200 Fathoms, Pointy Shoes, 8 Ball Metric Stout, Black Boar, Shanco Dubh and countless others would easily prove you wrong.

Had Pointy Shoes again last night. Lovely stuff.
    Only have 1 can left and debating on keeping for a few momnths of have it at Xmas!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Had Pointy Shoes again last night. Lovely stuff.
    Only have 1 can left and debating on keeping for a few momnths of have it at Xmas!

I've 2 cans put away. One is definitely for this Christmas, but I'll try to age the other one.

Is it a bad sign that we're daydreaming about Imperial stout this early in the day? :D

I've one can of Pointy Shoes left. I had it stored "off site", but brought it back yesterday evening.
    Luckily I picked up some Leann Follain on the way homw so drank that instead. I'm hoping it will last until Christmas.

I brewed an 8% stout a couple of weeks ago and now have that ageing in a wine barrel for a month.
    Crossing my fingers it works out well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

While your on the Stouts there is one I have tried in England a few times that is well worth a try. It is called "Dirty Stop Out", it is really tasty with chocolate and caramel throughout.

In the UK a " dirty stop out " is someone who doesn't come home after a night out. Something I am certainly guilty of sometimes. I have never seen it for sale over here but I always keep an eye out for it when I am across the sea.

dirty_stop_out_l.png
    e97bc35c-a60f-48c1-b388-a013dba59056.jpg

Had a can of White Hag Festa Nuda last weekend. It was like drinking liquid marshmallows. Won't be getting a second can.

Is pointy shoes on draught in any pubs in Dublin city right now?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

VW 1 wrote: »
    Is pointy shoes on draught in any pubs in Dublin city right now?
    Yes, the TapHouse in Ranelagh.

Tried the Black Sheep, in case they had any Point Shoes left.
    No, but they had Crann Beatha on cask, so I’m happy.

Having a few “bitch of a week is finally over” cans of Big Hop Red. It’s a lovely one to sip on.

Speaking of Rascals, very disappointed with the Big Smoke Stout. Just poured 3/4 of a bottle down the sink, so harsh of the liquor it just tastes like a spiked pint. Massive difference compared to something smooth like the Pointy Shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Got few bottles of Dugges Cocoa Cacao from a friend this week, lovely dark imperial stout with real distinctive chocolate taste. Nice stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Speaking of Rascals, very disappointed with the Big Smoke Stout. Just poured 3/4 of a bottle down the sink, so harsh of the liquor it just tastes like a spiked pint. Massive difference compared to something smooth like the Pointy Shoes.

I had one last night and thought it was lovely! My main gripe would be it wasn't particularly smoky, but I thought it was fairly smooth and didn't find it harsh in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tonight I was mostly drinking Rascals / Molloys Ugly Christmas Jumper oatmeal pale. And during the week I may go try figure out my nearest Molloys to get more in cans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Saint Mel's Irish Stout on nitro.

Sthap the lights shams.

Fantastic stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Four for 10 euro tonight.

Einsiedler Hell, never heard of it before tonight. From Chemnitz.

Then Grevensteiner Helles.

Plus a can of stout.

Off to bed soon.

On the couch, wife won't allow me upstairs with drink, says I snore.

May as well have an FES as I fall asleep, pure class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCe5L1imxg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Franciscan Well Caskmates Stout. No idea how old it is, but the best before date is December 2015. All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't drink it back then, it's aged superbly. Rich, thick and incredibly smooth with a hint of coffee at the finish. It's a little boozier than some stouts around 8.4% I've had in the past, but the alcohol doesn't overpower the flavour in any way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not sure if it really belongs in this thread but Walled City Brewery have brewed a hard seltzer. Think it's the first to be released in Ireland.

They went for a mulled pear flavoured one. Tasted ok but very watery. Reckoned it would maybe make a good cocktail mixer.

Zaph wrote: »
    Franciscan Well Caskmates Stout.

They were so nice. I always picked up a bunch of them when they were around.
    Didn't last that long though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Effects wrote: »
    They were so nice. I always picked up a bunch of them when they were around.
    Didn't last that long though!

Father in law still asks me if can I get them for him. Pity they stopped doing them. Always made a great present! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

During the week I had two bottles of Farmageddon's Wee Gold. A lot of hoppiness from this beer; it's really fresh and sharp and akin to a good pilsner and I was well impressed with it even with me being a malt man.

Also cracked open a bottle of Flanders Red, a beauty that Rascal's brewed a long time ago. Easily the best beer I've had in a long time; I'm just sorry I only had the one bottle put aside.

Advertisement