Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Had a neon overlord last night. Agree with what others have said the chilli is way over the top, wouldnt order another. The barman told me theres not a lot of people even finish their glass of it.

Had a GBB - Brigid/Ceasefire after that. Was particularly refreshing after the chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

04.11.2016 Born To Die. Delicious.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,302 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Founders Sumatra Mountain imperial brown ale. Quite heavy on the coffee, but it goes very well with the sweet maltiness of the beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Siren Blacklight Banana.

This brewery does no wrong, even stuffing bananas into a big stout, twice, works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Trouble City Weiss Berliner Weiss raspberry edition is absolutely gorgeous in Abbot's, Cork.

However, Berliner Weiss has European protected Geographical Indication.
    Irish breweries should not be using the term - it's not just trouble doing it.

We're all very vocal when multinationals have misleading labels. Same should apply here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

However, Berliner Weiss has European protected Geographical Indication.
    Where do you see that? It's not on the DOOR database.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Where do you see that? It's not on the DOOR database.

Wiki suggests that it does.
    Incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Finally got to try Cloudwater beers, the DIPA was nice, incredibly fruity but a tad sweet for me. Absolutely loved the session IPA, perhaps it was the experimental hops in it but it certainly had a unique flavour.
    Vocation pale ale and IPA are great at this time of year as they have more malt than most around and suit the weather.

Wiki suggests that it does.
    Incorrect?
    Seems so. The lack of evidence is mentioned on the Talk page for the Berliner Weisse article.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Seems so. The lack of evidence is mentioned on the Talk page for the Berliner Weisse article.

It looks that way alright.

German Beer Institute make a similar woolly claim
    By law, Berliner Weisse may be brewed only in the German capital, because, similar to the Kölsch ales of Cologne and the Trappist ales of Belgium, the name enjoys the legal protection of an appellation d'origine contrôllée.

They are also wrong about Trappist beers which, while protected, do not have a geographical restriction.

• Advertisement

German Beer Institute make a similar woolly claim

They are also wrong about Trappist beers which, while protected, do not have a geographical restriction.
    Horst Dornbusch who writes the stuff (I think he may actually be the Institute) is one of the most prolific sources of beer misinformation on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Walked down to beer traders, no more I love New England on tap. What a lovely beer, I hope galway bay make more of it. No more trouble crosswalk either, first world problems! Enjoying an 8 degrees citra.

The new batch of born is die is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Some of the bottles of Cider I put aside from last years NHC Apple juice group buy. I wish I had the ability to have stashed more for longer. Have a few put away to sample this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Producer Ben

Brehon Ulster Black Oatmeal Stout earlier. Excellent stout. Not a fan of their stuff like Stony Grey but they nail it with their plains (see also Shanco Dubh).

nearly certain Aldi have those in their Irish craft beer festival

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

nearly certain Aldi have those in their Irish craft beer festival

They do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Picked up four bottles of Founders KBS a few weeks ago. Well worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

2015 200 Fathoms has aged very nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

ToØls Redrum(Murder) was enjoyed at the end of beer club last night, will definitely pick up a bottle for the stash!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Ska decadent was very hoppy and resinous, great for autumn drinking. Also had some snoweater last night, forgot how good it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Won't be buying Beavertown's new Lupuloid at that price again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Goodbye Blue Monday is coming back! Best GBB beer by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Overheard that foam and fury wont be back till jan/feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Has anyone seen Brewdog's Dogma or Great Divide Hercules Double IPA lately? I miss them both a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I've been keeping my bottle of 2016 200 Fathoms since last March/April and finally opened it tonight.

It's dog rough.

Unbalanced in the extreme. The alcohol is so raw and pronounced that it completely takes over and absolutely ruins the stout. It has a very hard metallic finish that's really unpalatable. It tastes like someone has poured a few shots of Powers into a Stormy Port. Easily one of the worst imperial stouts I've had.

Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
    Great Divide stopped exporting altogether in 2012 and I think only do so now on a very small scale to places like Sweden and Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just got back from the US the other day, absolutely wrecked, but had a great time. Thanks for the suggestions earlier on in the thread, didn't get to do or see half the things I planned to as I got married in NY (we eloped!) so time was at a premium, but nevertheless I got to try quite a few beers.

Favourites of the bunch;

Gun Hill Brewing Co. - Void of Light
    Singlecut Beersmiths - Billy 18-Watt IPA
    Peak Organic - The Juice 1Pint Can
    North Coast Brewing Co. - Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
    Wormtown Brewery - Be Hoppy
    Sebago - Amber Ale
    and a box of IPAs from Wachusett Brewing Company $12.99 for a box of 12! ranging from 4% to 8.5%

Finally got to try Dogfish 60 & 90 Minute IPAs, wasn't that impressed tbh. Also New Belgium - Fat Tire, nice enough but nothing mindblowing.

Made an almighty trek to the Good Beer off licence (which also sold draught beer) one night to get some really great beers. Unfortunately I lost one of the beers on the way back to the apartment. Rain and paper bags don't mix! :(

It wasn't until a day before we were leaving NY that I copped the local supermarket had a sh1t load of really good american beers to try, Oskar Blues/Stone/New Belgium, etc. although prices worked out way cheaper if you bought a six pack rather than individually.

On the last night we went to The Fraunces Tavern (Porter House Bar) for some really nice food and tried Ommegang - Nirvana IPA and Stone - Ruination with Orange Peel & Vanilla Beans. Really nice beers, the Ommegang in particular (which I'd had elsewhere). I wanted to try more, the list was incredible, but a couple next to us insisted on buying us a round because we got married, so didn't really get a chance to change the order. Still a really nice of them to do so.

Overall a great trip with some amazing beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I got married in NY

Congrats..... :):):)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Just back from Moldova and Trasnistria. The beer was very poor...except for one place called Smokehouse which sold local craft beer and had a decent selection of IPAs as well as an Irish Stout that was incredibly roasty.

Had a few hours in Bergamo and went to a few beer places there as well, including an Elav taproom in Bergamo Airport. Had a 440ml of Birra del Carrobiolo APA which was delicious and they even had O'Hara's Stout on cask. Although it came out absolutely freezing so I don't think cellar temperature has made it to Italy just yet. Still, nice to see and it was nice to have a pint of stout after all the Euro lagers. Everything from Elav was grand but none of the beers were standouts and I had a taste of about 7 or 8. Airport had a big selection to take home at €5 for a 330ml bottle but I never bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

ronnie3585 wrote:
    I've been keeping my bottle of 2016 200 Fathoms since last March/April and finally opened it tonight.

ronnie3585 wrote:
    It's dog rough.

Was just thinking of opening mine this weekend for a birthday treat. What do you reckon, leave it til Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Chimay Grand Reserve 2015 , will report back later ;)

Advertisement