Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a bottle of Omnipollo's Aon pecan mud cake stout the other night... Dear God its good, 11% and tastes exactly as it sounds. Perfect dessert beer and probably the best beer I've had over the Xmas period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2020/1/2/2019-in-pictures

Some great pics of bars, breweries and taphouses around the world

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

2016 200 Fathoms. When it was out first I was a bit disappointed with it, probably because the 2015 edition was so good. I'm over my disappointment, it was definitely worth the 3+ years wait, this is fantastic stuff altogether. It's thick, rich, slightly chocolatey and very mellow, but it still retains the nice boozy kick at the end.

Supping a few nice pints of Harris in Katie Daly’s

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Supping a few nice pints of Harris in Katie Daly’s

Good stuff in a good place!

I've just broken open a barrel aged Devil's Half Acre. Made in collaboration with Dingle Distillery. It's described this year as an "Imperial Dark IPA". Didn't it used to be a barley wine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Zaph wrote: »
    2016 200 Fathoms. When it was out first I was a bit disappointed with it, probably because the 2015 edition was so good. I'm over my disappointment, it was definitely worth the 3+ years wait, this is fantastic stuff altogether. It's thick, rich, slightly chocolatey and very mellow, but it still retains the nice boozy kick at the end.

Still have some around. Must go back to them and see how they've changed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've just broken open a barrel aged Devil's Half Acre. Made in collaboration with Dingle Distillery.

Had to have the Celebration Stout as well while I was at it. May end up regretting the combination in the morning, but, for now at least, I am in flavour country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's described this year as an "Imperial Dark IPA". Didn't it used to be a barley wine?
    No, it was a "Dark IPA" when previously released in 2013, though "Matured in Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey Casks". Dingle Dark Star, which arrived in 2017, was a barley wine. Maybe you're thinking of that?

BeerNut wrote: »
    No, it was a "Dark IPA" when previously released in 2013, though "Matured in Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey Casks". Dingle Dark Star, which arrived in 2017, was a barley wine. Maybe you're thinking of that?

The last time I had it was spring 2015, so I'd say my memory was just playing tricks on me. :)

Shipyard Pale Ale £2.49 a pint and nicer then the last punk IPA I had in spoons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Got a few Pilsner Urquell for this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

BaZmO* wrote: »
    No release this year that I know of.

They did a barley wine iirc.
    Do we have confirmation about fathoms and the new year?
    I had Theo from The Format over the Christmas. Thought it was a bit average compared to most barrel aged imperials.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cracked open a bottle of Double Barrel, a barrel conditioned rye ale from Black Donkey. There's a bit too much going on here; it's clocking in at a whopping 10% alcohol, the sharpness of three conditioning sessions is hiding the rye flavours, it's a bit too complex to even make it a nightcap. Not my favourite of theirs TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have never seen Kildare cans on sale anywhere so dropped in to the source to get one of each (had some time to kill in Sallins but in the car so no pints).

Having a huge pub on site is always useful for tap access and off sales anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

L1011 wrote: »
    Have never seen Kildare cans on sale anywhere so dropped in to the source to get one of each (had some time to kill in Sallins but in the car so no pints).

Having a huge pub on site is always useful for tap access and off sales anyway!

All perfectly competent. Nothing earth shattering; they're all quite normal styles but done right. Bought the Pale, Session IPA, West Coast IPA and Milk Stout; they didn't have the IPA in stock in cans. Would buy again; if I didn't have to drive to Sallins to do so!

Their website is terrible, doesn't have a list of their beers or even give you much indication that they can (and presumably have for a few months going on the BBE range) at all; Facebook page is far better.

Some WW Elevation. Not the best NEIPA I’ve had but it’s good stuff. Wish they did it in bigger cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a can of Dawn of the Red from Wicklow Wolf. I really liked it. And I don't normally like red ales.
    Could have been the barrel ageing and 9.4% abv!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a can of Dawn of the Red from Wicklow Wolf. I really liked it. And I don't normally like red ales.
    Could have been the barrel ageing and 9.4% abv!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Is there any good ambers (where the hell is Amber Ella gone?) or schwarzbiers out there in cans or bottles these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Anyone know where could buy some cans of Vocation twisted sour 4.5% round Galway or online?
    Had it last August, got it in Joyces supermarket but have not seen it in any shop or off-license since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I had a couple of White Hag Púca Berry Hibiscus and Gnger, Lemon Sours last night.

My first experience of spurs and it was great. I'm definitely going to be trying out more sours. Finding a good source of them seems to be tricky though.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Finding a good source of them seems to be tricky though.
    Where do you live?

Be prepared for some disappointments. White Hag do proper mixed-fermentation for all their sour beers. Most craft brewers take a shortcut which tends to give a less interesting flavour. And there's a trend at the moment for beers described on the label as sour which aren't even remotely tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

BeerNut wrote: »
    Where do you live?

Be prepared for some disappointments. White Hag do proper mixed-fermentation for all their sour beers. Most craft brewers take a shortcut which tends to give a less interesting flavour. And there's a trend at the moment for beers described on the label as sour which aren't even remotely tart.

I'm in South West Dublin so should have decent options of places to buy. Checking websites though and very few sours seem to be listed.

The other sours White Hag make look interesting so I'll need to try track some down. I don't fancy just ordering 24 of them from their website without trying them first.

Wait till you try the new fad, the pastry sour....
    Never Never Forever Forever, Double Passionfruit Gose Ale
    - Apri-Guav Tastee, Smoothie Style Sour Ale with milk sugar and lots of apricot and guava purée
    - Never Never Goaway Goaway, Double Acai, Blackberry and Passionfruit Gose Ale
    - Winter Sauce Tastee, Smoothie Style Sour Ale with boysenberry, cranberry, blackcurrant, cinnamon and milk sugar
    - Blueberry Muffin Tefnut (w/ Omnipollo), Imperial Gose Ale with loads of milk sugar, blueberries and vanilla

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://untappd.com/b/brouwerij-frontaal-dipteryx/3493751

Dutch craft beer breweries really catching on how to make an Imperial Stout. Like a bar of chocolate in a glass!!

A few Ballykilcavan Bambricks Brown this evening. Never had it before but it’s thumbs up.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Dutch craft beer breweries really catching on how to make an Imperial Stout.
    They've been very good at it for a while now. When you're competing with De Molen your imperial stout game needs to be on point.

I'd rather my imperial stouts didn't taste like a bar of chocolate

Speaking of big stouts, I had a bottle of Dolmen Irish whiskey stout from Western Herd Brewing Company last night. Made with coffee and chocolate from artisan suppliers around County Clare. I think it was overly chilled, because I couldn't get many flavours from it besides a sourness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

My favourite lagers is Heineken, Kingfisher and Red Stipe. But can never seem to get the last 2 in Ireland. Have seen red stripe in shops now and again but is always expensive.

Advertisement