Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

OOnegative wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a decent bar in Prague?

U Zlateho Tygra is a nice traditional bar. Bit touristy but it's worth a call in. Don't order the "beer cheese"...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

irish_goat wrote: »
    U Zlateho Tygra is a nice traditional bar. Bit touristy but it's worth a call in. Don't order the "beer cheese"...

Prague Beer Museum (not actually a museum)
    Fat Cat

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

OOnegative wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a decent bar in Prague?
    Don't miss Zlý Časy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ran 5 miles around Spanish Point and Milltown Malbay in the middle of a Status Orange weather warning at lunchtime. Celebrated getting home alive with a can of Larkin's Imperial bourbon stout, packing a punch at 11% abv, the goddess herself, Morrigan. Fabulous beer. Glad I got a second one to store away for later.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

JJ's Craft Brewing Company, Kilmallock, county Limerick. Pearl Dubh oyster stout. 7% abv, brewed with Galway Bay oysters. I've been sipping at it for the last hour while I cooked dinner, and I've enjoyed every drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Sitting in a bar in LA drinking a founderstasting flight of KBS, CBS, Mas Agave and Underground Mountain. Goose IPA earlier. A Venice beach Washington IPA in a local bar. Going to get to the firestone brewery in the next few days also. Great variety on every beer menu, was in a bar earlier that didn't look anything outside but had 40 beers on tap inside. Great place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Got a four pack of CBS for my birthday last week, nice stuff. Keep an eye out for Lagunitas Willetized barrel aged stout. I liked it as much as CBS and it’s a good bit cheaper.
    I think I’ve finally sozzled my taste buds. Hoppy beers aren’t doing it for me and lower IBU beers taste thin to me, I think Sierra Nevada’s Hop Bullet (and occasionally Hazy Little Thing) seems to be the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

I like Blue Moon. Very nice with an orange.

I like Blue Moon. Very nice with an orange.

Remember drinking it in the liquor rooms before and they actually put half an orange in it.

well I wasn't implying that it should have been a full orange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Remember drinking it in the liquor rooms before and they actually put half an orange in it.

Is it not brewed with orange peel? Don't see the point in adding more orange to it

Is it not brewed with orange peel? Don't see the point in adding more orange to it

They had peeled it and all and hung it over the edge of the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

I'm a big fan of Galahad.

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Galahad.

Also nice with an orange

Working my way north through the country since the weekend.

Tonight's treat is from Boyne Brewhouse. 330 ml bottle of their Imperial Stout, "aged in Irish whiskey sherry casks", celebrating the power of the goddess Danú. It's 10.8% so I'm delighted it's the mid-term break this week.

celebrating the power of the goddess Danú.
    She wasn't powerful enough to keep their business afloat :(. Enjoy it while you can.

BeerNut wrote: »
    She wasn't powerful enough to keep their business afloat :(. Enjoy it while you can.

Ah, feck. I hadn't heard! :( My local O'Brien's still have a few bottles, so I'll have to get a couple to age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Gone to the great mound in the sky.

Are they gone? I thought they’d done pretty well getting into super valu, etc. Never tasted anything of theirs I didn’t like.

Are they gone?
    Not gone as a company, but they've quit brewing beer.
    I thought they’d done pretty well getting into super valu
    Arthurstown and Kelly's Mountain also did a lot of work for SuperValu.

• Advertisement

Not gone as a company, but they've quit brewing beer.

Pity that. Change of business model or the beer just not selling? They have a distillery too don’t they?

Change of business model or the beer just not selling?
    I don't know any details.
    They have a distillery too don’t they?
    Yes, and a cidery and liqueurs and ready-to-drink cocktails.

Was stopped to have been a fairly big setup too. Who are the biggest of the ‘small’ breweries around at the moment then? I know Wicklow Wolf have a serious setup in their new place and White Hag would be fairly big also wouldn’t they?

White Hag isn't on the same scale as Wicklow Wolf, Eight Degrees, the Porterhouse, O'Hara's or Galway Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Are Trouble Brewing still around? Haven't seen their beers in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Down this way, we have https://yellowbellybeer.ie/ and http://www.cleverman.ie/

White Gypsy also sold on tap in the town, although that's from Tipperary.

Are Trouble Brewing still around?
    They are. It's Ambush Appreciation Night in UnderDog tomorrow.

White Hag isn't on the same scale as Wicklow Wolf, Eight Degrees, the Porterhouse, O'Hara's or Galway Bay.

Forgot about 8 degrees, they’ve a fair premises there. Never think of picking up their stuff for whatever reason. I may give it a go again.

STB. wrote: »
    Down this way, we have https://yellowbellybeer.ie/ and http://www.cleverman.ie/

White Gypsy also sold on tap in the town, although that's from Tipperary.

Had a few in Lambert’s recently when I stayed over for work in the town. Love the Clever Man Turf Stout too, didn’t realise they were Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Off topic again but are there any Northern Irish breweries that people can recommend? Is it just me or are they fairly scarce?

Advertisement