Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I did something about it. You'll see my original post was edited by a moderator, as I was accused of defrauding the system.

I just made sure I got the deposit I paid, at the retailer, returned to me at the RVM.

I took a simple step to have my deposit returned, at the return vending machine. As I said, I'm not going to waste time going back to retailer. And on principle, I'm not going to let the system keep the deposit I've paid at point of purchase.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Didn't realise you get charged the deposit regardless of whether or not the product is registered/has the return logo. Can't blame you for getting your money back.

We'll still just err on the side of caution when it comes to discussing how to trick the machines.

Here you go. To make matters worse, it's says 15c on the shelf, but the receipt says 25c.

And to get back on topic here, the Verdant dipa is really nice, but totally not worth that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@irish_goat Non-registered products are not supposed to be charged the deposit but some retailers feck things up (Supervalu I'm looking at you)

There are few non-logoed products left at this stage.

Scrap the cap!

@Citizen Six That's a total SNAFU by the retailer but they won't rectify the error if nobody complains.

€8.49 for one can of beer though, that's dearer than Pointy Shoes!

…and €9.39 is dearer again!

Hope they were nice. I wouldn't be too worried about 15 or 25c if paying that much per can though.

Scrap the cap!

BA Narwal is a lot better than recent Pointy Shoes, which has disappointed me for the past few years. I prefer to buy Irish, but like to taste everything. And Wicklow Wolf is one on the most consistent, and quality brewers we have in Ireland. As for the one from Verdant, it is pretty expensive, but I wanted to try it, as I'm a big fan of them But the value just isn't there. I wouldn't buy it again.

With the 15 vs 25 cent thing, for me, it's about the principle. I've always recycled, so this new system is an imposition. But I still take part.

Only today though, did I realise the wastage where I work. I passed a bunch of cans and bottles, with the logo, which are discarded. And they are just bagged up with the regular trash and going to landfill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

When buying a mix of craft beers from off-licences recently, I think I've paid deposits on some, and then not have them accepted by the machine. I guess the lesson now is to keep or photograph the receipts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced substitute for Moretti?

Used to drink a lot of Galway bay stuff but i find a bottle or two of Moretti is a lot nicer (imo). The price has jumped over the last year though so if anyone can suggest a reasonably priced alternative I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a fairly generic lager with very little to distinguish itself from others.

Based on its return to availability and being quite cheap, maybe try Harp. Its reputation is unfounded. I'm not taking the piss with this suggestion.

Otherwise, Aldi have a knock-off Italian lager with a name that probably sounds like Peroni. (Poretti, which I think they do sell, is an actual Italian brand, not a knock-off)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Aldi's Rossini and Rheinbacher are both worth a try in the cheap-but-good lager stakes. Tesco's Manislav isn't the beer it used to be but is still decent for the price.

Moretti is now brewed in the UK, make of that what you will.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Celebrating a little bit tonight. Got invited to read at a Poetry Day event in County Limerick tomorrow, and I'm on the bill at an Irish language event for Cork World Book Festival on Saturday, and my new poetry collection is on its way to 2 more bookshops next week. Have to enjoy the little victories.

Otterbank, from Muff, Co. Donegal: Just The One (a 3 year old, mixed fermentation amber ale, 7.1%) and Oíche Mhaith (a mixed fermentation blend of strong porters, 9.4%). Two lovely treats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

That random bloke in the pub gave you a bum steer there. Where does he get it from?

Moretti is brewed in Manchester and Madrí is split between Tadcaster and Burton on Trent.

The BBC did a whole thing on Britain's (and Ireland's) fake continental lagers a couple of years ago:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63901215

Good to see that Budvar are determined not to "do a Staropramen"

There's a very discernable taste difference between the 500mL bottles (Prague) and the 660mL bottles (Some industrial estate, UK), and not in a good way.

They then have the cheek to put "Prague" prominently on the label of the UK-brewed muck.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Budvar's UK PR people have turned a problem into a selling point. There's no question of anyone other than the Czech state owning the company because any buyer would get a lawsuit from AB InBev's sharp and well-paid lawyers as part of the deal. You need sovereign wealth to hold off that kind of threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Krombacher or warsteiner.

Estrella galicia is decent.

As long as the brits dont start brewing it.

Non zero chance of Estella Galicia being made in Carlow if it got big here. They own a substantial but non controlling stake of Carlow Brewing aka O'Haras

Same for Warsteiner and Rye River.

I thought all the legal issues had been thrashed out years ago?

But imagine ripping off a trademark and then suing the people you ripped it off from, bloody cheek!

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Nope, it's still a live issue, just in a state of possibly permanent stalemate.

Budweiser beer started in St Louis in 1876. The Budvar brewery opened in 1895. Tell me again who's ripping off who's trademark? 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Didn't know that.

I think we can be safe in the assumption the German premium lagers will always be imported from source.

The city of Budweis was around a lot longer than that, and no doubt was brewing beer longer than that too… (searches the fount of all knowledge)

Beer has been brewed in Budweis, Bohemia (now České Budějovice, Czech Republic) since it was founded in 1265.

Imagine if some American shower started globally marketing "Dubliner" beer with no connection whatsoever to this country 😠

Scrap the cap!

Beck's (I wouldn't call it premium though!) has a brewery in the US, so the precedent for non-German production of a major German brand is there

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

"Premium" can mean different things to different people/marketing departments though.

Indeed. The city's municipal brewery was founded in 1795 and has been selling "Budweiser Bier" since 1802. It's still going as well. It seems like that one has the truest claim to the Budweiser beer name, and certainly the oldest. Who owns the brewery today? AB InBev, of course.

Oliver Hughes used to say "premium" beer means "advertised on television".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Ordered a mix of beers from Craft Central for the first time in a good while. Saw that Wicklow Wolf had a limited edition sour so got some. I didn't realise it was a fruited sour (actually has blueberry and raspberry in it). Looks more like a mixed fruit cider. It's nice though, different.

That's the problem with 440s right there. A pint glass is just too big, a half pint glass is too small.

First world problems…

Scrap the cap!

A pint glass is only too big if you have an irrational need for it to be filled to the brim. 440ml fits in a pint glass perfectly.

• Advertisement

In a world where people will pay twice as much to get a slightly better looking pint of Guinness, I think my concerns are valid 😁

Scrap the cap!

IKEA have you covered

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/ikea-365-glass-clear-glass-60279711/

450ml.

US Customary pint glasses are also pretty close, 473ml.

However, in the picture you're quoting I'd be fairly certain that's a 2/3rd pint glass (~380ml) and not all the can poured in.

The glass in the picture has half pint printed on it.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Half price in posh Dunnes in Cork at €1.75 this evening. Grand for the price. Sorry I didn't pick up a few more. They must be shifting beers with no Re-turn logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Another one of my Craft Central selections. Haven't seen an Imperial IPA before so worth a shot. I generally like the Sierra Nevada range, always a solid choice but this one is a bit too strong. At 9.5% the beer loses it's flavour to the alcohol, reminded me of younger days drinking Bavaria 8.6 to get smashed as cheaply as possible! Although this is much better than that it should be said.

"Imperial IPA" and double IPA are the same thing. The Americans use both terms interchangeably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love the confusion where some people thought "double IPA was so called because it was IIPA, with 2 "I" s - as in, it was Double I, PA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Not sure if it's suitable for this thread, but don't see a general thread or one for Q&As………

A couple of summers ago, one of the bigger German weissbier brauerei had 12 packs of a lower %, hoppy, lighter version of their beers on sale here. I got it in a couple of off licences and ended up buying nothing else that whole summer. Then……it was gone. Never heard of it again. Didn't reappear the following summer and hasn't been seen since. It was lovely and I'd love to a) confirm I wasn't hallucinating and b) get my hands on it again.

Does it ring any bells for anyone?

It was almost certainly Erdinger or Paulaner, probably the former. It was called Sommerbrau or Summer beer, something along those lines. It had a plain cream label with the logo and name of the beer in green emblazoned across it. I only saw it in 330ml bottles and only ever in 12 packs.

Every now and again it pops into my head and I can never get the name right.

Edit: FOUND IT!

After typing the above post, I tried a few different variations of Sommer/Summer and found this:

https://untappd.com/b/erdinger-weissbrau-sommerweisse/1527440

I don't suppose anyone has seen this anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Just clicked into that link you put up and it says the beer is no longer produced by the brewery

• Advertisement

It was marked out of production in 2022 but there are more recent check-ins so I've changed that.

The brewery mentions it on their US site, but not the German one. I've never seen it here.

It was literally available for maybe a 10 or 12 week period about 6 years ago, then disappeared.

I hate it when that happens. Same with that Coalface black IPA, soon as I developed a taste for it…………poof!

Now that you mention it, it's an injustice that lots of the Carrig beers were revived when it become BRÚ, but not Coalface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Found a bottle of kriek in the back of the press, BB date is 07/21. Still drinkable ye reckon?

It has so much sugar in it, it's basically jam, so I doubt anything will have gone wrong in it.

Definitely still drinkable.

I think my personal record is a bottle of beer from Barbados that expired in 2004, which I drank in 2013. I think it was called Banks's or something like that. Didn't notice anything off with it and definitely no ill-effects afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Have two six-pack of Guinness that expired in February 1985 on display in the bar, half tempted to try them now!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone spot any good prices on 4 packs of Hoegaarden or Leffe recently? I used to enjoy both a lot but haven't had either in a couple of years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

The crafty brewing company American style, pale wheat ale from Lidl.

Lovely beer. Great for these sunny days.

I've been enjoying 9 white deer bán blended with their rua, lately. About 3:2. It's lovely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement