Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Macy0161 wrote: »
    O'Hara's/ Carlow Brewing do the O'Sheas in Aldi, Rye River do the Crafty in Lidl iirc.

Huh - I did not know O'Hara's was behind the Aldi stuff. That more or less compounds my lukewarm comment on the O'Hara's beers earlier in this thread (save for their strong stout).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've always found the O'Sheas Stout and Red Ale to be pretty decent for the price. I'm a fan of O'Haras Stout and Red though, and they're pretty much the same beers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Of the new O'Shea's range, Trick of the Light and Summit to Say are both very decent for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

BeerNut wrote: »
    Of the new O'Shea's range, Trick of the Light and Summit to Say are both very decent for the price.

Trick of the light is the stand-out one for me. Really really nice session pale ale. Have one of the new Aldi low alcohol (0.5%) Roadworks IPAs in the fridge. Looking forward to seeing what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Trick of the light is the stand-out one for me. Really really nice session pale ale. Have one of the new Aldi low alcohol (0.5%) Roadworks IPAs in the fridge. Looking forward to seeing what it's like.

Second Trick of the Light. Great beer for the price and abv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thirded for Trick of the Light, and another thumbs up for Summit to Say. I thought the Stout was alright, but no idea if it was a new recipe or just re-branded? It seemed like an improvement, but still not as nice as the Crafty Stout.

Missed the Low Alcohol Roadworks - on the list for this weeks shop, although not really much of a fan of their offerings.

I thought the Stout was alright, but no idea if it was a new recipe or just re-branded?
    I suspect the stout and lager are just relabelled.

Has anyone tried the offerings from Heaney or Omnipollo? Both have turned up in Bradley’s (and Craft Central et al) in the last few weeks. The latter look fantastic from a can/bottle art point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the offerings from Heaney or Omnipollo? Both have turned up in Bradley’s (and Craft Central et al) in the last few weeks. The latter look fantastic from a can/bottle art point of view.

I found omnipollo imperial stout a little overbearing, but that was a few drinks in, I did think it could be lovely as a long sipper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

The heaney stout was decent. On par with the O'Hara's stout, not as good as LeAnn follain, but very drinkable, definitely not a sweet stout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Pen Rua wrote:

Got a few cans of the Robust Porter from Heaneys when I was up in Belfast last November and it was absolutely savage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Had the Roadworks non alcoholic IPA. Like any of these non-alcoholic IPAs I've had, you can't really compare them with the real thing but this one is very nice. There's a decent hop taste to it but it's very thin. I'd easily sink a couple of these if I was driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Had the Roadworks non alcoholic IPA. Like any of these non-alcoholic IPAs I've had, you can't really compare them with the real thing but this one is very nice. There's a decent hop taste to it but it's very thin. I'd easily sink a couple of these if I was driving.

I tried one the other night,I'll get it again for a midweek tipple without the guilt. I wasn't expecting much from it but I was pleasantly surprised!

I was quite impressed with the Brewdog Punk AF, and I like Nanny State. The lidl alcohol free IPA is rank, even at a euro a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I was quite impressed with the Brewdog Punk AF, and I like Nanny State. The lidl alcohol free IPA is rank, even at a euro a bottle.
    Brewdogs Hazy Jane is a new favourite of mine, think it is their best since Punk

Bradley's took delivery of some Lambics from what they've shared on Twitter. I may venture into the Lambic world... I've been scared off them for some time after trying a kriek in Belgium (nope! not for me...) but heck, I used to not be into IPAs, gave them another shot and now it's 80% of what I get.

May opt to pick up some of the Heaney & Omnipollo stuff to try if they have them in a multi buy offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Brewdogs Hazy Jane is a new favourite of mine, think it is their best since Punk

got a four pack today in Tesco (Derry) for £4.50. they have an incredible deal at the minute on wee 330ml can four packs. 2 (8 cans) for £9. so you can get 4 Northern Monk Faith Hazy and a four pack of Hazy Jane amongst many others. Its ridiculous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

Bradley's took delivery of some Lambics from what they've shared on Twitter. I may venture into the Lambic world... I've been scared off them for some time after trying a kriek in Belgium (nope! not for me...).

Can’t beat a good nice sour Lambic- I’m having an oude gueze TILQUIN a l’ancienne this evening. It’s almost as good as my favourite 3 fonteinen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Subbuteo wrote: »
    Can’t beat a good nice sour Lambic- I’m having an oude gueze TILQUIN a l’ancienne this evening. It’s almost as good as my favourite 3 fonteinen

Alas, Lambic beers have really increased in price over the last few years.
    Could pick them up crazy cheap 10 years ago.

Decided against it this time round - I picked up some dearer cans so called it quits early this time round. Maybe next trip...

Are there particular lambics I should look out for? I have next to no knowledge as to them re brands, what to look for on a bottle (besides price!) etc.

• Advertisement

Are there particular lambics I should look out for? I have next to no knowledge as to them re brands, what to look for on a bottle (besides price!) etc.
    Boon Mariage Parfait is one I'd recommend to anyone wanting to try them out. Oude Boon Gueze is very good too, reliable and relatively inexpensive. Tilquin and Cantillon are the top tier. The Cuvée Rene range from Lindemans is very worthwhile, likewise Timmermans Oude Geuze. Oude Beersel is generally good. 3 Fonteinen has its fans but I find the beers quite risky, especially for the high prices.

As a broad rule of thumb I would avoid any with fruit in them until you've got a handle on the terminology. There are a lot of super-sweet syrupy lambics around, even from the reputable brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Boon Mariage Parfait is one I'd recommend to anyone wanting to try them out. Oude Boon Gueze is very good too, reliable and relatively inexpensive. Tilquin and Cantillon are the top tier. The Cuvée Rene range from Lindemans is very worthwhile, likewise Timmermans Oude Geuze. Oude Beersel is generally good. 3 Fonteinen has its fans but I find the beers quite risky, especially for the high prices.

As a broad rule of thumb I would avoid any with fruit in them until you've got a handle on the terminology. There are a lot of super-sweet syrupy lambics around, even from the reputable brands.

Over simplifying things, but Oude or means amongst other things that it's unsweetened.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

I’m only getting into them myself! I’ve been focussing on the Oude Guezes, which are blended from lambics of different ages. I’ve tried a fruit lambic (think it was apricot) and I wasn’t that keen on it, and wasn’t blown away by the boon marriage parfait either.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Got a stack of the new Brú cans for the weekend. What's the verdict on them? Used to like their stout, but haven't tried anything from them in ages.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Wicklow Wolf 12.12.19. Pretty tasty imperial stout, although I suspect it'll get better as it warms up as it's a bit on the cool side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Helmet wrote: »
    Got a stack of the new Brú cans for the weekend. What's the verdict on them? Used to like their stout, but haven't tried anything from them in ages.

Had their Pils, Blueberry Berliner and new Session IPA last night.

Pils : Its ok, drinkable but I am not a huge fan of pils type beers generally.

Blueberry Berliner : Again its nit my style of beer so wont comment on it.

Session IPA : Nice enough for a low abv.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Had their Pils, Blueberry Berliner and new Session IPA last night.

Pils : Its ok, drinkable but I am not a huge fan of pils type beers generally.

Blueberry Berliner : Again its nit my style of beer so wont comment on it.

Session IPA : Nice enough for a low abv.

I actually had the Berliner last week, it was grand, thought there was something a bit synthetic about the blueberry flavour. Think I'll give the pills a whirl later.

Having a Big Hop Red for the first time in ages. It’s fair changed, not near as nice as it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

St. Mel's - I Will, Yeah(DDH Pale Ale)
    Part of their new can range, probably my favourite of all their stuff I've tried so far but could do with being a bit stronger than 4%.
    Hope - Summer Seasonal 2020(American Pale Ale)
    Does exactly what it says on the tin, excellent stuff from Hope.
    Hopfully - Indoor Yoga(NEIPA)
    Well executed, much nicer than their Graciosa I also tried recently. I'd actually put it on par with Brewdog's Hazy Jane

• Advertisement

Had a few new/ new to me last night...
    Yellowbelly Pirate Bay and Western Herd Islander session pale ales. Both "on trend" being hazy and juicy! Recommend both. Looking for to another pirate Bay in the Craic box next week.
    I'm way behind on the next one, which was scraggy bay. Definitely won't be the last either.
    Rounded off with a banker with yellowbelly citra.
    St. Mel's - I Will, Yeah(DDH Pale Ale)
    Part of their new can range, probably my favourite of all their stuff I've tried so far but could do with being a bit stronger than 4%.
    Is it can conditioned?

Advertisement