Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A Glen of Imaal Oatmeal IPA from 8 Degrees, my favourite beer of this year so far. Delicious. :)

Aglomerado wrote: »
    A Glen of Imaal Oatmeal IPA from 8 Degrees, my favourite beer of this year so far. Delicious. :)

The two so far in that series have been very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The two so far in that series have been very good.

Yes indeed hill of the serpent had a lovely aftertaste. Must see if I can pick up a few cans in the offy for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Aglomerado wrote: »

Just picked one of these up, along with a Larkin's mosaic and Pale ale. I had the pale ale on tap in a pub in Glasnevin last year and it tasted like they'd freshly squeezed some hops in it before serving. It was amazing. Never get to Dublin so looking forward to trying them again hope they're as good as I remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Picked up the two new barrel aged beers from White Hag. A sour and an imperial stout. They're doing a youtube live about them this evening at 7.

• Advertisement

I don’t think I’m refined enough for them. The sour just tastes like red wine to me.

I find I drink one sour, don't like it too much, and then don't have another. Haven't had one since their event in Sligo last year. I'm curious to see what the barrel aged version tastes like though.

I love their oatmeal stout, Black Boar, so can't wait to try the barrel version. Drink Store in Stoneybatter also had some bottles of the 2016 version for sale. Ones they had put away to let them age/condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had a can of Whiplash All Together collab. Really nice as expected but maybe it's just me or does every beer they do taste more less the same, just slight variations of NEIPA with the exception of their porter and stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

On a white Hag Buzz

Lemon Puca
    Fionn
    Phantom
    Atlantean

Great beers

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Had one of the O'Shea's session IPAs from Aldi last night, was pleasantlty surprised. Great wee beer for the price!
    Also had a few of one of my all time favourites Rustbucket, hard to beat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Had a tasting session through work with one of the owners of four provinces brewing yesterday. Lager was light and tasty, not something I'd typically drink but was nice. Amber IPA next, lovely mouthfeel and a malty biscuity flavour profile and a lovely citrusy/orangey aroma. Little bit of bitterness but balanced well with the malt. Next was a dark mild, a type of beer I've only had on cask in England and apparently the first of its kind done in Ireland. Sweet, flavoursome, not a huge body but at 3.8% definitely something you could have a few of. Last was their robust porter which was the best of the beers for me. Good body for only 6.2%, coffee and chocolate aroma. Not a million miles from lean follain but without the vanilla flavours. Will definitely be on the lookout for more of their stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

VW 1 wrote: »
    Next was a dark mild, a type of beer I've only had on cask in England and apparently the first of its kind done in Ireland.
    The first packaged, maybe, but Dungarvan, Trouble and West Kerry have all done dark milds on draught in the past.

Had a can of Whiplash All Together collab. Really nice as expected but maybe it's just me or does every beer they do taste more less the same, just slight variations of NEIPA with the exception of their porter and stout.

I think they often to a lot of DIPAs that are similar, but there are still differences between them. Maybe that's just what he mostly likes to brew?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

BeerNut wrote: »
    The first packaged, maybe, but Dungarvan, Trouble and West Kerry have all done dark milds on draught in the past.

Did Yellow Belly have a dark mild too ?
    Some reason I remember them doing a mild of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

ciaran76 wrote: »

Fierce Mild, it was one of their first bottle releases about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

On the new Pilsner from 8 Degrees tonight

Well worth trying

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

having a Gipsy Hill Hunter Helles Lager 4.8%

very nice but takes 1/2 to get used too it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Yes! And bottled too. In your face, Four Provinces!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yes! And bottled too. In your face, Four Provinces!

I recall you tweeted about it or on your blog one or the other at the time. I remember enjoying it and just checked Untapped and I did like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

after weeks of IPAs i think Lager is king for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had the Dungarvan one at the beer festival in Cork a couple of years ago. First experience of the style, but can't say I was particularly blown away by it. I must see if I can get my hands on the Four Provinces one and see if it changes my mind at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dark mild must only be drank on cask.

What exactly is it anyway? Dark mild what? Or is mild the noun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just a low ABV beer using dark malts. Usually 3% and little hop aromas. Very British

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

On cans of Big Little IPA from Heaneys this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Wicklow wolf Imperial Four Bean Apex Stout last night. Nice drop.

Looking through my stash trying to pick one for later I spotted my 2019 Chimay Grand Reserve Barrel Aged magnum I picked up last year in France. Was planing to save it for my birthday but should I keep it for a another year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

RasTa wrote: »
    Just a low ABV beer using dark malts. Usually 3% and little hop aromas. Very British

It's not atall "bitter" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Ryath wrote: »
    Wicklow wolf Imperial Four Bean Apex Stout last night. Nice drop.

Looking through my stash trying to pick one for later I spotted my 2019 Chimay Grand Reserve Barrel Aged magnum I picked up last year in France. Was planing to save it for my birthday but should I keep it for a another year or two.

Back of the net.
    It was like velvet treacle, and the sweet vanilla cut brilliantly through the burn of the alcohol.

Had yellowbelly pirate Bay last night, wasn't very nice at all but followed up with a 'life and death' by vocation which was excellent. I don't think vocation can put a foot wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Had yellowbelly pirate Bay last night, wasn't very nice at all
    I wonder was there two batches made? First one I had I really liked, but had a second one as part of the craic festival last week and was a bit underwhelmed. I put it down to it following Castaway at the time.

Picked up Around the World in an 80's Haze, as well as Lough Gill Cutback and Mac Nutty, and the banker Wicklow Wolf Apex. Really looking to the Mac Nutty, as been loving the Ballykilcavan and St Mels Brown's in recent weeks. All will have to wait for Friday evening though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Had the Mac Nutty a few weeks back and really enjoyed it!
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    I wonder was there two batches made? First one I had I really liked, but had a second one as part of the craic festival last week and was a bit underwhelmed. I put it down to it following Castaway at the time.

Picked up Around the World in an 80's Haze, as well as Lough Gill Cutback and Mac Nutty, and the banker Wicklow Wolf Apex. Really looking to the Mac Nutty, as been loving the Ballykilcavan and St Mels Brown's in recent weeks. All will have to wait for Friday evening though!

Advertisement