Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone try the new Wicklow Wolf collaboration with Yellowbelly? Sunshine & Showers. Perfect name for the conditions this week. It's a blood orange New England IPA, 7.2%, hazy, and dangerously drinkable.

Anyone try the new Wicklow Wolf collaboration with Yellowbelly? Sunshine & Showers. Perfect name for the conditions this week. It's a blood orange New England IPA, 7.2%, hazy, and dangerously drinkable.

Their high abv stuff always tends to be far sweet for me must be a wicklow thing. One of the lads has it and liked it but he loves that kind of thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    Is it possible to brew without adding sugar, i.e. just using the natural sugar in the malted barley? Does that ever happen, i.e. zero added sugar?
    Most beers would be brewed that way. Adding sugar is mainly a Belgian thing because they have a tradition of brewing strong beers. At the other extreme, adding sugar would be illegal in a German lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Sierra Nevada Fantastic Haze Imperial IPA is dangerously drinkable and tasty

Slightly fruitier taste than the other SN stuff like Torpedoes

9% ABV so be careful out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Back on House of Pale from Tool Beers

One of my new favs to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Was doing a spring clean of the cupboard yesterday and found a 4 pack of Brewdog Hazy Janes, that I thought I had drunk a few weeks back! Did a little jig in the kitchen, as I think it's my new favourite beer. Drank the 4 of them watching the Champions League and the snooker last night, then had a couple of Sixling G&Ts to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sierra Nevada Fantastic Haze Imperial IPA is dangerously drinkable and tasty

Slightly fruitier taste than the other SN stuff like Torpedoes

9% ABV so be careful out there

Had that recently and really enjoyed it. Not crazy about hazy IPAs, but Sierra Nevada’s current ones are very enjoyable. Firestone Walker have one called Mind Haze that is also very nice.
    Having a Torpedo now. Make West Coast Great Again

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Elmore Goat's Milk Creamy Stout.

Valley Virgin IPA, bottle number 23 of a limited edition of 99 bottles with New/Old Stock find of original Artist's hand colored labels. I admit I bought it for the Collector bottle/label.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Had a bottle of Founders Mas Agave yesterday. Expensive, at around €6.50, but what an incredible beer. An imperial gose with lime and agave aged in tequila barrels. Doesn't sound like it should work, but it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Had a bottle of Founders Mas Agave yesterday. Expensive, at around €6.50, but what an incredible beer. An imperial gose with lime and agave aged in tequila barrels. Doesn't sound like it should work, but it's amazing.

Had it on tap in Brody’s in The Hague before it closed, completely agree with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Just finishing a growler of it right now. Mother Macs had it on this week. Its a bit special. One of the ipas of the year for me. Has it all.
    O Briens had it in cans this weekend too. Bought a few of em to get me thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Just finishing a growler of it right now. Mother Macs had it on this week. Its a bit special. One of the ipas of the year for me. Has it all.

Got 6 growlers of it over the weekend, working my way through the last one now, it's delicious, too easy to drink for a 7%

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I woke up and ordered one of those growlers myself the morning after I posted about it. :) Superb beer.

Having a few Knockmealdown stouts from 8 Degrees tonight

Nephew dropped by on his way home with a growler of Lost Weekend Cali Canna-beer. Very drinkable, good lift-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As usual, had few new ones over the weekend...
    - Wicklow Wolf NTMK, Really enjoyed it, and will be looking to pick up more along with Sunshine and Showers. Ironically enough, the weather going to limit my opportunities to get near a decent offy!
    - Ballykilcavan Brickyard Red - It wasn't bad, but was bit "meh" tbh - 1st "meh" for any of there's from me I think.
    - Kinnegar Devils Backbone - really enjoyed this really enjoyed this Amber.
    - Kinnegar Yannaroddy - enjoyed it, but put probably expected more tbh.

Also had more King Nelson, which is lovely and the 12 Acre's Session. Also had my first pints since March - Wicklow Wolf Elevation and Wildfire fwiw, and lovely they were too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Black Bucket and Cigar City Jai Alai IPA for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Had two from Hopfully brewing.
    Kneesocks mango ipa, nice and juicy with a lovely 7% body.
    Legswap lime and raspberry sour. Very sweet and tasty but no sour profile at all. A nice table beer.!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Finally got around to trying Vietnow IPA from Trouble Brewing. It's an absolutely cracking ale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Franciscan Well’s Pilgrim Pale Ale was just awful. Had it draught and it just so bad. It smelled like feet (not exaggerating). The flavour was ok if you could overcome the taste. Yuk!

DOT Brew. Intersection. American style amber ale. 5.9%

Got a growler of this from Mother Mac's in Limerick for a weekend treat. Grand stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I had some Rodenbach Grand Cru last week.

2 euro from Mace in Dublin, reduced as coming up to date, or could have been past date.

Lovely, dry, spritzy, puckering.

A class drink.

Whenever I next go to Belgium, I plan to have this more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Galereux from Lidl.

Just finished a 6-pack of Mesopotamia Goddess 7%.
    Spending the afternoon with a growler or two of Redhead Vixen IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

2 Durlacherhof, available in your local Dunnes. Nice stuff.

1 X Carling. Tasteless Piss.

A few Heinos.

Looking forward to picking up a few Lawson's Sip of Sunshine IPA 8% later today. Worth the drive, about 3 hours round-trip from my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You Americans be crazy

A good few over the weekend...
    Friday night shared the Craic Beer/ Hoppy Days Mystery Box with the better half. White Hag "Dark Druid" Pastry Stout the definite stand out, followed by Third Barrel "Keep Smiling" DIPA. And another Craft Central/ Bru King Nelson. My critical tasting hasn't really moved beyond "I like that", but very educational.
    Saturday night I had the Hope Special Edition Raspberry and Gooseberry Sour, which was lovely. Shared a few from the Black Donkey Box - Buck It, Sheep Stealer, TKO, and probably the standout was Roam Free, their collab with Hopfully. Stated the evening with a 12 Acres Make Hay, which is fast becoming my banker Session. Also had the Heaney/ Boundary collab Imperial Stout "I can see the stars" that I've had knocking around for ages - not as overpoweringly strong tasting as some Imperials I've had, but that made it very drinkable... which led to instead of being "one for the road", I ended up sharing a Bacchus Raspberry Brown and a A Four Provinces Piper. Piper didn't really stand a chance at that stage, so will try to get hold of some more!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A good few over the weekend...
    Friday night shared the Craic Beer/ Hoppy Days Mystery Box with the better half. White Hag "Dark Druid" Pastry Stout the definite stand out, followed by Third Barrel "Keep Smiling" DIPA. And another Craft Central/ Bru King Nelson. My critical tasting hasn't really moved beyond "I like that", but very educational.

The Craft Central/Bru King Nelson wasn't in the box, you maybe thinking of Larkin's Strata or Whiplash Six Million Ways?

irish_goat wrote: »
    The Craft Central/Bru King Nelson wasn't in the box, you maybe thinking of Larkin's Strata or Whiplash Six Million Ways?
    Wasn't in the mystery box, but it was in my craft central delivery box, along with a few others. The Bacchus and the Hope from Saturday were also in the order that I didn't get around to. It makes sense to order more to split the postage over more beer is one of the lies I tell myself!

• Advertisement

Just knocked off a Wicked Vicar Chapel Brown Ale. Very uplifting. Finishing the day with a couple of Gypsy Nose Ring Special IPA.

Advertisement