Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Are there any fresh, hoppy type lager beers that are higher in alcohol content, like 7 to 8%

I usually drink IPA or Belgian beers but I am finding them too sweet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Strength and sweetness are related: a high starting gravity will generally give a high finishing gravity too, resulting in a sweeter beer. Strong and hoppy bock lagers, for instance, still tend to be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not are of any that high an abv, but Hope Underdog claims to be a hoppy lager. Haven't got around to it yet myself to offer a comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco have a perfectly drinkable, if overpriced, McGargles Citra in cans, 4 for 10. Think I've never been in the first 50 to a beer on untappd before; although there is two entries and I can't be arsed seeing how many the other one had!

It's not bad, had itna couple of times and never seen it since. Didn't realise Tesco stocked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At 4-for-€10 from that brewery I'd probably go for Darraghs still; but if they dropped it to €8 it'd be a regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Was gifted a litre bottle of Four Sisters Kombucha Sage Green Tea Mead. Threw it in the trash and going out to look for a real beverage.

Weißenoher Bonator.

Doppelbock style.

Dark and quite sweet.

Black Lightning by 9 white deer.

Black hoppy IPA.

It's OK, a lot less sweet.

Aztec Love Potion IPA 7%.

• Advertisement

Aztec Love Potion IPA 7%.

That sounds interesting :)

L1011 wrote: »
    At 4-for-€10 from that brewery I'd probably go for Darraghs still; but if they dropped it to €8 it'd be a regular.
    I tend to prefer their Crafty range to their own core range, but picked up Dec's Brown Ale last night in the 2 for €5 in SuperValu. I haven't come across it before, but untapped suggests it's not new but I haven't come across in the last year or so that I've really got on board the Brown Ale train!
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Black Lightning by 9 white deer.

Black hoppy IPA.
    I'll be keeping an eye out for this, Blacks Black IPA is still one of my favourites, and I'm hoping Brú revive Coalface out of the Carrig range. Hoping for more darker, non-stout beers coming into Autumn/ Winter. Gutted that Dead Centre won't be canning the Schwarzbier they posted on facebook last week.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I tend to prefer their Crafty range to their own core range, but picked up Dec's Brown Ale last night in the 2 for €5 in SuperValu. I haven't come across it before, but untapped suggests it's not new but I haven't come across in the last year or so that I've really got on board the Brown Ale train!

I'll be keeping an eye out for this, Blacks Black IPA is still one of my favourites, and I'm hoping Brú revive Coalface out of the Carrig range. Hoping for more darker, non-stout beers coming into Autumn/ Winter. Gutted that Dead Centre won't be canning the Schwarzbier they posted on facebook last week.

Try black bucket from kinnegar if you haven't already. I would much rather have it than Blacks one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Had a Rye River 'The Dropper Mexicanus APA' there the other night. Absolutely ridiculous name thats hard to remember, had to go and find the empty can. Anyway, it had sabro and a couple of other new types of hops in it and it was a little different to other hazy IPAs in flavour but very smiliar in every other way (no bitterness etc).

Try black bucket from kinnegar if you haven't already. I would much rather have it than Blacks one.
    Good reminder, and I only had it a couple of weeks ago! Hadn't had the Blacks for a long time, and came across it in a random centra on 2 for 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was going to mention Black Bucket before I saw your post.

For me, Kinnegar are the most reliable, consistent Irish producer these days. Just tasty, fresh, well made beers, as described on the can.
    No sneaky NEIPAs disguised as IPA.
    No sours that aren't sour.
    No poor or bad batches, in my experience.

They are my go to, everyday beer, now - mostly the IPAs and the occasional sour.

I've been working my way through the Kinnegar range - Olan's Tart up tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm still drinking the barrel aged Black Boar from White Hag, as it'll be all gone soon.
    Really need to get a few to put away in the cellar.

For me, Kinnegar are the most reliable, consistent Irish producer these days. Just tasty, fresh, well made beers, as described on the can.

They are my go to, everyday beer, now - mostly the IPAs and the occasional sour.

They really are exceptional.

Cherbourg-Principe Old World Pilsner in the ceramic growler. Never been a fan of the pilsner attitude but it's rarity and exceptional quality made it worth the high price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Had the low tide there from Kinnegar and really enjoyed it. I never could imagine myself buying them but then I was visiting for dinner and had a couple and they were lovely. Good malt flavour like Limeburner but there was a nice tropical hop flavour too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

UK, not for me. I don't think I'd like it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

UK, not for me. I don't think I'd like it anyway.

https://martinsofflicence.ie/products/burning-sky-les-amis-du-brassage?_pos=2&_sid=990615180&_ss=r

Buy that. Then buy above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

RasTa wrote: »

Had that a few weeks ago, quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Had Frontaal’s Juice Punch Greatest Hits V3, V6, V10 this afternoon/evening. All top quality takes on a NEIPA & all delicious in there own different way. V10 was my favourite of the three, juicy, hazy but with added bitterness over the other two.

Bought myself a hope summer APA mini keg and I don't think I'm going to be leaving any.

Keep Smiling from Third Barrel.

Citra DIPA.

This is more like it... Cloudy yellow colour and much less sweet. Very nice.

8% abv, 440ml can, €4.95 from Bradley's, Cork.

Pursuit of Juicy by DOT brew.
    DIPA.

Similar colour, and little sweeter, not too much. Almost tropical, like a mango juice.

Very good!

8.2% abv, 440ml can, €5.50 from Bradley's, Cork.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Pursuit of Juicy by DOT brew.
    DIPA.

Similar colour, and little sweeter, not too much. Almost tropical, like a mango juice.

Very good!

Their american amber is some gear.

Advertisement